Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    2,248

    Talking SC 5 & 6 is Here!

    Good morning everyone,

    I wanted to let you all know that SC Levels 5 & 6 is now available on our website.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    1,425

    Default Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

    This is very exciting! Is it possible to customize the spelling and math to cross over to MP levels? (Math 4 or 5, for example). Spelling to either Spelling Workout B, C or D?
    Last edited by howiecram; 12-06-2018 at 10:33 AM.
    Christine

    (2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

    Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    2,248

    Default Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

    Quote Originally Posted by howiecram View Post
    This is very exciting! Is it possible to customize the spelling and math to cross over to MP levels? (Math 4 or 5, for example). Spelling to either Spelling Workout B, C or D?
    We are happy to customize across SC and MP, but unfortunately it's not something our website can handle. You'll need to place the order via phone or email.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Denver Area, CO
    Posts
    1,904

    Default Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

    Yay! Congratulations!
    Boy Wonder: 10, MP2/SC4 (Special Needs)
    Joy Bubble: 8, MP2 (Special Needs)
    Snuggly Cowboy: 6, MPK
    Sweet Lightness: 2, Reverse-Engineering Specialist

    “Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
    ~Pope St John Paul II

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    1,425

    Default Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    We are happy to customize across SC and MP, but unfortunately it's not something our website can handle. You'll need to place the order via phone or email.
    In SC4, there is an option for Grade 2 or Grade 3 math, under customize.

    Also, what is the difference between the 1 year and 2 year pace? There is a slight price difference?

    P.s. very excited!
    Christine

    (2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

    Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,249

    Default Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

    Arithmetic -
    Yes, good point! We can add this customize option for the upper arithmetic levels as in other levels. Michael's point remains that we cannot switch between MP/SC at this time, but for arithmetic levels, we can customize up or down.

    As in the past, the SC plans for them will not yet be available for those arithmetic levels, but you will be able to customize and teach as written.

    Manuals -
    And yes, there is a difference in the two manuals. You may remember this from our 5&6 Sticky:

    The Two-Year Manual will include extra practice, review games, and "delve deeply" items that will not be possible to include at the accelerated pace. This could make it difficult for a user to determine which to include or omit when accelerating. The One-Year Manual streamlines rapidly and removes those extra items to accelerate in a manner closer to the MP pacing.

    Furthermore, the Two-Year plans provide more breathing room with catch-up and review days. These are all built in to the plans. Everything is spread out as two "volumes" within one large manual. You begin with Level 5 and work through Weeks 1-34. Then Level 6 Weeks 1-34. Largely the extra cost is for the extra size (printing, shipping, etc.), but also for the extra activities included in the Two-Year Manual as mentioned above.

    For anyone who wants to teach in 18 months, customize in other ways, or simply have the extra teaching games & activities at your fingertips, I recommend the Two-Year Manual.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    2,248

    Default Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

    Quote Originally Posted by howiecram View Post
    There is a slight price difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by cherylswope View Post
    Largely the extra cost is for the extra size (printing, shipping, etc.), but also for the extra activities included in the Two-Year Manual as mentioned above.
    If you'd like the exact numbers, the two-year manual, being essentially two full manuals combined into one, is $45 instead of the usual $30.

    Quote Originally Posted by howiecram View Post
    P.s. very excited!
    We are too!
    Last edited by Michael; 12-06-2018 at 01:24 PM.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    1,425

    Default Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    If you'd like the exact numbers, the two-year manual, being essentially two full manuals combined into one, is $45 instead of the usual $30.



    We are too!
    I hope I did not come off as patronizing! I just thought others might have the same questions! Your explanation of the cost of the manuals makes perfect sense! (Leaning towards the two year manual myself, just for the extras.). We are still progressing well in SC4, but not ready to purchase this level!
    Christine

    (2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

    Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    2,248

    Default Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

    Quote Originally Posted by howiecram View Post
    I hope I did not come off as patronizing
    Oh, not at all! They are excellent questions!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    240

    Default Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

    My eldest is working her way through MP3. She is bright and memorizes well but is not at the point she can handle a full day or complete all of the writing independently. I keep looking at SC and wondering if it’s a better fit for her. We’re on week 10 of MP3 and using TS2 because she struggles with spelling. Is it worth getting the manual to see if it’s a better fit? Keep adjusting the curriculum myself?
    Heidi

    2018-19
    dd- 3m
    ds- SC 1
    dd- SC B

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    1,425

    Default Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

    Quote Originally Posted by VAmom View Post
    My eldest is working her way through MP3. She is bright and memorizes well but is not at the point she can handle a full day or complete all of the writing independently. I keep looking at SC and wondering if it’s a better fit for her. We’re on week 10 of MP3 and using TS2 because she struggles with spelling. Is it worth getting the manual to see if it’s a better fit? Keep adjusting the curriculum myself?
    The extra “stuff” that comes in the SC guides makes them all worth it for us here!

    However, keep in mind that at MP3, most children should not be writing independently. It is still guided writing. (The question is discussed orally, a consise sentence is then spoken aloud, and then the “teacher” writes the child’s answer on the board (or somewhere) for the child to copy. ). Tanya indicated at Sodalitas 2017, that this continues until part way through the 4th grade. Tanya said “accept a 3rd grade answer, do not try to get them to the teacher’s guide answer. That is there for you to make sure child is on track!
    Christine

    (2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

    Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Frisco, CO
    Posts
    304

    Default Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

    Is there a sample of the 1-year versus the 2-year manual? Also, there are so, so many things in this curriculum. Is this more or less work than MP3 and MP4 or MP3A, assuming, of course, that the student in 3 did not write out all the answers as in SC5/6? I really like that it says level 5 and 6 so that my daughter will not realize that it is not a regular 5th and 6th grade curriculum. I wish that the regular MP curriculum manuals would not list the grade on the front! Congratulations of the publication!
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    2,248

    Default Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

    Quote Originally Posted by jejegreer View Post
    Is there a sample of the 1-year versus the 2-year manual?
    There is! Click here for a sample of the one-year pace and click here for a sample of the two-year pace.

    HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Frisco, CO
    Posts
    304

    Default Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    There is! Click here for a sample of the one-year pace and click here for a sample of the two-year pace.

    HTH!
    Thank you, Michael! I do not know why I could not find it on the webpage. If you or Cheryl are able to compare the workload with the workload in MP3 and MP3A I would appreciate it. We only did part of the 3rd grade curriculum when Stella was at that age so I just do not know what the full workload would be.
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,249

    Default Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

    Quote Originally Posted by jejegreer View Post
    Thank you, Michael! I do not know why I could not find it on the webpage. If you or Cheryl are able to compare the workload with the workload in MP3 and MP3A I would appreciate it. We only did part of the 3rd grade curriculum when Stella was at that age so I just do not know what the full workload would be.
    The greatest difference might be in Latin. As with my own children, we take more time and teach with more strategies each new group of 10 words, each new grammar form, all new English vocabulary derivatives, and each new Latin saying. With this method we spend 4 years on LC in the Two-Year Standard plan. This may sound surprising, but it allows us to truly master the Latin grammar while continuing our necessary work in English reading, spelling, and writing. All of it works together. By the end of SC 11&12, students will have completed First Form Latin, and this will be an enormous accomplishment.

    In a nutshell, there are five major differences with SC 5&6:

    1) Writing and Spelling - Writing is both greatly minimized AND targeted. Along with EGR I and Core Skills: Language Arts 3, we target writing through the extensive yet simplified spelling lessons in Traditional Spelling II (which MP 3 students already completed in MP 2) and the literature-correlating Intro to Composition. We are teaching writing in these areas but not requiring it in "content areas."
    2) Content - Some of the content is intentionally different, such as adding the practice of thankfulness (gratitude) and including a broader science course.
    3) Multisensory Teaching - We add non-writing games and activities for practice and review.
    4) Pacing - The pacing is slowed to allow for more practice, more review, and more multisensory teaching strategies along the way.
    5) Oral teaching - Because many of our SC students have low stamina, yet we do not want to keep them from studying great things, we teach several courses orally.


    Similarities:
    - MP Third Lit, D'Aulaires' Greek Myths, Christian Studies I, English Grammar Recitation I. (However, note that ALL of these are taught without the extensive written portions. We use visuals such as the Timeline Program, maps, flash cards, art, and working on the board, but we do not have daily written lessons in these areas, nor do we expect memorization of all things memorized in MP 3. This lessens the workload tremendously.)
    - States & Capitals - We teach these as written, maps and all, because our SC students have been well-prepared for this by SC 3 and 4.

    Differences:
    - As mentioned, much of the above is taught orally with visual aids. This allows our SC students to study and review the more challenging content but without the extensive writing requirements of MP Third. We will offer an "Additional Writing Practice Set" with Student Guides for all subjects for those who prefer to have them.
    - Our writing consists only of these: Latin, Arithmetic, Poetry, Core Skills: Language Arts 3, States & Capitals, and Spelling. For most of our SC students, this will be plenty!
    - In math, Latin, and most subjects, our lessons are shorter each day because we are dividing them over more time. This reduces the daily workload.

    Latin -- As mentioned, Latina Christiana is taught with full writing expected but at quarter-pace (Two-Year) or half-pace (One-Year). We will cover 1/2 LC in 5 & 6, 1/2 LC in 7 & 8. To help with memory, we add non-writing practice, games, and time for both initial and cumulative review. This is more in keeping with what we did in my home and it worked well for all of us.
    Greek Myths -- We do not expect knowledge of all Greek names, places, and myths. We teach the myths, but our accumulating recitation is of only the 12 major gods, goddesses, and their symbols. We believe this will serve our SC students sufficiently in literature studies in the years to come, although more advanced students may use the flash cards to master much more as time permits.
    Science -- As you noted, science is substituted. We wait until 7 & 8 to cover Astronomy after students have a good exposure to Greek Myths, terms, and names. Astronomy will help to review Greek Myths. Our SC 5 & 6 Science includes experiments and activities to help teach basic knowledge (scientia) about the world that our students may not "pick up" otherwise. Our Science also includes health & hygiene so necessary for most of our students. We covered Mammals in SC 4, so we do not include Mammals.
    Writing -- We do not use ATFF; rather, we use MP's new Intro to Composition coordinated with the literature selections. This allows our literature to serve "double duty", assists comprehension of the literature, and teaches outlining with content directly from their lit selections. This reduces the workload because students are working with the same material both for oral literature studies and for their Intro to Composition rather than studying new passages for outlining in a separate program. This difference is significant.
    Music -- We will use the playlist & book only in 5 & 6, adding the CD with more complex musical theory in 7 & 8 after they have a good background knowledge, history, and familiarity with the selections. This greatly reduces the workload and time spent, yet students will benefit from the music.
    Art -- We use Creating Art to allow for students' own artwork to coordinate with their classical and literature studies. This reinforces the studies and is interspersed throughout. Students will not study art daily, but they will receive art instruction. This is a difference that is added to 5&6.
    Arithmetic -- We take two years for mastering R&S 3 (Two-Year Standard) through shorter lessons. We add non-writing games, a Demo Clock, and other visual aids to the lessons to assist mastery and memory.
    Spelling -- MP has moved to SWO by MP Third, but we are working through Traditional Spelling to teach and review phonics, word patterns, prefixes & suffixes, and masterfully created word studies.
    American History -- We do not include formally in 5&6 because we covered American history in SC 3; however, we offer the SC American history read-aloud set as our Extended Literature for anyone who missed it or who wants to review. (We recommend the accompanying SC Enrichment Guide for anyone who has time to add the accompanying discussion questions, vocabulary, and related enrichment topics.)
    Grammar -- We complete the wonderful exercises in EGR I, but we work them orally, with recitations, and on the board.


    It does look like a lot of components, but keep in mind that the only book you need to keep accessible is the Curriculum Manual. You will devote an entire shelf or two to the components in the order you teach them each day. (We have a suggested order in the Curriculum Manual.) The materials will be pulled off and returned after each subject. I still do this at home with my daughter. We are working through First Form Latin together. We keep everything on the shelf, pull off what we need for the lesson, and then put it all away when we finish. We do not leave all of our books out. Somehow by shelving everything after our lesson is over, it not only keeps things neat and manageable, but it makes everything more inviting for next time.


    I'll leave any further comparisons & contrasts to howiecram, our resident curriculum analyst!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    240

    Default Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

    Quote Originally Posted by howiecram View Post
    The extra “stuff” that comes in the SC guides makes them all worth it for us here!

    However, keep in mind that at MP3, most children should not be writing independently. It is still guided writing. (The question is discussed orally, a consise sentence is then spoken aloud, and then the “teacher” writes the child’s answer on the board (or somewhere) for the child to copy. ). Tanya indicated at Sodalitas 2017, that this continues until part way through the 4th grade. Tanya said “accept a 3rd grade answer, do not try to get them to the teacher’s guide answer. That is there for you to make sure child is on track!
    Thanks for the reminder about the extra stuff. I do like it in SC C and 1.

    We do model writing. She values her independence so I do try to give her some where it’s appropriate. The act of putting the pencil to paper is the struggle. For some reason it is overwhelming (?) and is a trigger. Today she had to write her rough draft in ATFF. She dictated to me 2/3 of the story and she wrote three sentences. We had no meltdowns (yay!), she completed something new and did well.
    Heidi

    2018-19
    dd- 3m
    ds- SC 1
    dd- SC B

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,469

    Default Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

    Quote Originally Posted by cherylswope View Post
    Arithmetic -
    Yes, good point! We can add this customize option for the upper arithmetic levels as in other levels. Michael's point remains that we cannot switch between MP/SC at this time, but for arithmetic levels, we can customize up or down.

    As in the past, the SC plans for them will not yet be available for those arithmetic levels, but you will be able to customize and teach as written.

    Manuals -
    And yes, there is a difference in the two manuals. You may remember this from our 5&6 Sticky:

    The Two-Year Manual will include extra practice, review games, and "delve deeply" items that will not be possible to include at the accelerated pace. This could make it difficult for a user to determine which to include or omit when accelerating. The One-Year Manual streamlines rapidly and removes those extra items to accelerate in a manner closer to the MP pacing.

    Furthermore, the Two-Year plans provide more breathing room with catch-up and review days. These are all built in to the plans. Everything is spread out as two "volumes" within one large manual. You begin with Level 5 and work through Weeks 1-34. Then Level 6 Weeks 1-34. Largely the extra cost is for the extra size (printing, shipping, etc.), but also for the extra activities included in the Two-Year Manual as mentioned above.

    For anyone who wants to teach in 18 months, customize in other ways, or simply have the extra teaching games & activities at your fingertips, I recommend the Two-Year Manual.
    Thanks for this explanation, Cheryl.

    Off to change my cart BACK to the two year pace. I want the teaching games/activities.
    DD #1 : 23, college GRADUATE
    DD #2 : 12 MP 7A - HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
    DS #3 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DS #4 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DD #5: 6, MP 1 at HLS
    DS #6: 4, cutest caboose on the loose
    http://www.thekennedyadventures.com

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Noth Park Colorado
    Posts
    904

    Default Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

    Aahhh. I want both. I want the one year pace, but with all the fun games. Ha!

    I think I'll go with the one-year pace, but buy the PDF of Latin at the two-year pace. I think four years for LC is a better choice for us.

    The DVD is listed as an optional supplement for Latin, but it's not scheduled (at least not in the sample). When should we watch the DVD?

    We've become Prima drop outs. Maybe we'll start again in January. Will being prima drop outs affect us in SC 5/6? Honestly, we did Prima in SC 3, second semester pretty much as scheduled. We started again from the beginning this year with SC 4, but dropped it after maybe 3 weeks as we focused on math, lit, and spelling.
    Last edited by Colomama; 12-07-2018 at 01:32 AM.
    Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

    DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
    DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
    DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,469

    Default Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

    Question about the SC 5/6 Reviews and Tests:
    Are these materials included in the big 200+ pg Curriculum Guide? And then separately for ease of use? Are they available as a digital download?

    I'm trying to figure out if I need this or not. I have all the other pieces (TMs, Student Guides, etc)
    DD #1 : 23, college GRADUATE
    DD #2 : 12 MP 7A - HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
    DS #3 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DS #4 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DD #5: 6, MP 1 at HLS
    DS #6: 4, cutest caboose on the loose
    http://www.thekennedyadventures.com

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    2,248

    Default Re: SC 5 & 6 is Here!

    Quote Originally Posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
    Question about the SC 5/6 Reviews and Tests:
    Are these materials included in the big 200+ pg Curriculum Guide? And then separately for ease of use? Are they available as a digital download?

    I'm trying to figure out if I need this or not. I have all the other pieces (TMs, Student Guides, etc)
    The Reviews & Tests are completely separate from the CM in order to keep the size of both books manageable. The physical copy comes free with either CM in either SC 5 & 6 package and includes a complimentary download of the blank quizzes and tests. (The key, of course, is only in the physical book.)

    HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •