Thread: Classical Conversations with MP

Default Classical Conversations with MP

Clara's psychologist is absolutely insisting that she be in some kind of group of kids her age. Her best friend is our 1 year old dog. She has only 2 other friends, and both of them are her sister's best friends. The only group here is Classical Conversations. We told the therapist that we did it before, think it is neither Classical, nor a Conversation, and my husband thinks it is the stupidest thing he has ever seen (other than learning Latin, but since he is my husband I am bound to listen to him a bit). Anyway, he agrees with the psychologist that Clara should do CC since it is literally the only option here other than things her sister will do with her, or things that we have tried where she refuses to talk to other kids like religious education groups and soccer teams. I do not care if she learns the small amount CC has to teach. I care that she is going to be missing a full morning of school, which is when she does her best work. I also, absolutely, completely, 100% agree with the psychologist that she has to go into social situations without her sister in order to learn a vital part of life. I am wondering if anyone else does CC with their child/children with special needs, and if so, do you actually try to memorize all of their things or do you just use it as a social skills learning experiment? We start in January. Any messages before then would be really appreciated.
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Default Re: Classical Conversations with MP

Jeje, will she be with some of the same children as before? Did she enjoy it before? How many days a week will she miss her morning work?

We do know of some children with various special needs doing well especially in the lower levels of CC if they memorize well. Sometimes the upper levels can be challenging for our students. No matter the level, much seems to depend on the leader and the other children. If she will be returning to old friends, if she is eager to go, and if it does not interfere with her academic progress, this could be good! Let us know --

Hi JeJe,

We did CC for 2 years at the beginning of our homeschooling journey. MP has always been our curriculum and anything else comes second. At the point a friend invited us to CC, we didnít have a homeschool community. I had a 5 year old, 3 year old and infant. The days were long and lonely. CC provided a community when we had none. After a few years, we had formed a community outside of CC that included many CC friends. We are still friends and see some of them regularly. We went to the weekly community days but didnít do anything at home. I was paying for community and it filled that need in that season.

All that is to say if you know why youíre going and what the goals are, then it could be a beneficial thing. In our community the director and tutors were very supportive of our needs and happy to accommodate as needed. Have you talked with them yet?

With the SC curriculum, it is easier to make 5 days into 4. This year I numbered the days and just pick up on the next the day. CC is also only 24 weeks I believe, which would mean youíre only losing 12 mornings out of the semester.
    Last edited by VAmom; 12-06-2018 at 02:20 PM. Reason: A child interrupted me :)

Quote Originally Posted by cherylswope View Post
    Jeje, will she be with some of the same children as before? Did she enjoy it before? How many days a week will she miss her morning work?

We do know of some children with various special needs doing well especially in the lower levels of CC if they memorize well. Sometimes the upper levels can be challenging for our students. No matter the level, much seems to depend on the leader and the other children. If she will be returning to old friends, if she is eager to go, and if it does not interfere with her academic progress, this could be good! Let us know --
    Clara actually did not do CC. Stella did it for her first year homeschooling. Clara knows one of the girls in the group. Clara will only be doing the morning Foundations part of the curriculum. It meets one day a week. After lunch (the key part of the day where she will be expected to interact with the other kids!), she will come home and we will do an hour or so of SC work. Clara does not memorize well, at all! I would really rather have her memorizing Bible verses or the things that are part of the recitation, so I am not really planning to push her with the memorization for CC.
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by VAmom View Post
    Hi JeJe,

We did CC for 2 years at the beginning of our homeschooling journey. MP has always been our curriculum and anything else comes second. At the point a friend invited us to CC, we didnít have a homeschool community. I had a 5 year old, 3 year old and infant. The days were long and lonely. CC provided a community when we had none. After a few years, we had formed a community outside of CC that included many CC friends. We are still friends and see some of them regularly. We went to the weekly community days but didnít do anything at home. I was paying for community and it filled that need in that season.

All that is to say if you know why youíre going and what the goals are, then it could be a beneficial thing. In our community the director and tutors were very supportive of our needs and happy to accommodate as needed. Have you talked with them yet?

With the SC curriculum, it is easier to make 5 days into 4. This year I numbered the days and just pick up on the next the day. CC is also only 24 weeks I believe, which would mean youíre only losing 12 mornings out of the semester.
    I am actually kind of excited to see adults other than my husband on a weekly basis. I made a couple of my best friends the year that we did CC (it was the first year I homeschooled, and it was with a non-special needs child). My daughter also made 2 of her 3 best friends at CC. I think it will be great to have a community. I feel bad that Stella will not be able to do the program since MP6 is WAY too much work to try along with CC, plus Clara has got to make friends on her own.

I have talked to the Director. She understands that Clara has some learning disabilities, and that I really want Clara to make friends with the other little girls. There are 3 of them between 10 and 11! There are also a couple of boys, and then a whole bunch of littler kids who will be in a different classroom than Clara.

This chapter of CC meets for 3 weeks, then has a week off, then 3 weeks, off, etc. I think that will help with not getting behind too far in SC3. We actually already only do 4 days a week of school. This may mean we have to do the same 4 days plus the CC morning. It would be good for Stella since she is so far behind in MP6. She probably needs the 5 days a week to be able to pull that curriculum off.

I really appreciate you writing, since it sounds like you did CC for the same reasons and it worked out just fine. The last time I did this with Stella we went all in on trying to memorize everything. That was not simple.
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

I will be praying for you and Clara to find a community that is life giving. And if you learn a few history sentences and do a few science experiments, thatís just a bonus.
    Heidi

2018-19
    dd- 3m
    ds- SC 1
    dd- SC B