Thread: Latin Progression Question

Default Latin Progression Question

Hi,

I am wanting to utilize next year my oldest son, who is currently in 9th grade. He will be dual enrolled in state college after his 10th grade year, so next year could be the last time he takes an MPOA class. It may not be, but I am looking to maximize next year, especially with Latin. He doing very well in 3rd Form Latin this year. If he studied 4th Form in the summer on his home to move ahead in MPOA what would he take in the Fall? The Form to Henle jump is confusing. Thank you!
    Christina

9th grader MPOA/state virtual school, 6th in private school, 4th hodgepodge homeschool (only girl), and a 4 year old pediatric cancer patient.

Default Re: Latin Progression Question

Quote Originally Posted by happyhappyjoyjoy View Post
    Hi,

I am wanting to utilize next year my oldest son, who is currently in 9th grade. He will be dual enrolled in state college after his 10th grade year, so next year could be the last time he takes an MPOA class. It may not be, but I am looking to maximize next year, especially with Latin. He doing very well in 3rd Form Latin this year. If he studied 4th Form in the summer on his home to move ahead in MPOA what would he take in the Fall? The Form to Henle jump is confusing. Thank you!
    Good morning,

If your student completed Fourth Form over the summer he could proceed to Henle Latin II: Caesar. However, Fourth Form is quite challenging and meaty; it would be very difficult to complete over a summer and truly master the material. I will move this thread to the MPOA forum as Mr. Piland may have some ideas for you.

HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

HHJJ,

I would suggest him simply doing Fourth Form next school year and knocking it out of the park. There are translation exercises assigned from Henle 1 so it's not without plenty of translation practice.

The following year, if his schedule allows, he could take Henle 2/Caesar with MPOA or possibly enroll in the class but watch the videos recorded (Mr. Piland can let us know if that is even an option-I'm speculating). That's where it really starts to bear fruit. My oldest has really enjoyed it this year after all those years of Forms work!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2018-2019 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
    Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
    DS MPOA Henle 2, 9A -- DD 7A -- DD 4A -- DS 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
    www.nashvillelatinschool.com

Thank you both. I had some developing news come my way, which is that he can take the PERT to enroll in state college now even though he hasn't had Alg. 2. I found out that as long as he passes the reading and writing, he can take any class other than math. This allows us to start early and spread his dual enrollment out. So I think we will just stick with 4th Form next year. We tried 3rd Form with recorded classes and that didn't work for him at all. He lost a year, but he's come back strong with Latin this year.
    Christina

9th grader MPOA/state virtual school, 6th in private school, 4th hodgepodge homeschool (only girl), and a 4 year old pediatric cancer patient.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhappyjoyjoy View Post
    Thank you both. I had some developing news come my way, which is that he can take the PERT to enroll in state college now even though he hasn't had Alg. 2. I found out that as long as he passes the reading and writing, he can take any class other than math. This allows us to start early and spread his dual enrollment out. So I think we will just stick with 4th Form next year. We tried 3rd Form with recorded classes and that didn't work for him at all. He lost a year, but he's come back strong with Latin this year.
    Wonderful! I'm so happy you all have a plan and your son is again doing well in Latin!
    Michael
    Memoria Press