Thread: Manuscript or Cursive Copybook?

Default Manuscript or Cursive Copybook?

I am about to purchase the SC level 2 curriculum. What would be the advantages of my son doing the manuscript vs. the cursive copybook? Will he be writing primarily in cursive or print in his other books? Will there be a transition to all cursive during level 2?

Default Re: Manuscript or Cursive Copybook?

There are two options because some students may be older and know cursive. However, in this level, if bought as a whole core your child would be learning cursive. The manuscript would probably be the better option. If your child already writes cursive, then go with that.

I did buy both and hoped to work through the cursive edition in the summer, but my we needed more time learning it. SC will spend the next two levels after this one learning cursive. We are in SC4 this year and I have my daughter do Latin in cursive. I will add in a few more subjects after Christmas (spelling, literature), with the hope for it to all be in cursive next school year.
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Yes, students are receiving a slow-and-steady intro to cursive in SC 2. We recommend the manuscript copybook for most students simply because they will be writing words for which they have not yet learned cursive letters.

We do offer the cursive for 1) later practice and review for anyone who wants it or 2) those students who might be coming to SC 2 from MP or elsewhere already knowing cursive.

For future reference or for anyone reading, our standard recommendation will be the one listed as included in the core package.

You will find this in our upcoming 5 & 6, where the Two-Year pace will be the standard course. Of course if you ever want to know why something is recommended as the standard, we're happy to answer!

Thank you for the clarification. On another note, is there a Book of Crafts for level 2 and/or a Nature Journal? I didn't see either listed. Likewise, do I need The Story Bible for level 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandilee View Post
    Thank you for the clarification. On another note, is there a Book of Crafts for level 2 and/or a Nature Journal? I didn't see either listed. Likewise, do I need The Story Bible for level 2?
    My Nature Journal is not included in SC 2, but you could easily add this to conduct daily or weekly nature walks with the teaching guidelines provided within the book.

Art Appreciation in SC 2 occurs through Art Cards of classic works.

Instead of crafts, this year students draw and trace scenes and characters from children's literature in both SC Writing and SC Storytime Treasures. Our focus in SC 2 is Comprehension, so we chose this method to promote drawing while heightening attention to detail and story comprehension.

We teach Christian Studies in SC 2 through A Child's Garden of Bible Stories. This comforting little book coordinates with SC Writing Book One, Bible edition, and doubles as a nice reader for reading practice.

You can find samples of each of these on the Simply Classical Level 2 page, ClassicalSpecialNeeds.com.