Thread: OT: Stimming without ASD?

Default OT: Stimming without ASD?

Has anyone experienced a child without ASD who makes animal noises when stressed? Weíre talking dog barking, bird squawking, etc. And he keeps it up on/off for quite awhile. He also starts baby talking, smacking his lips in an exaggerated way, etc. Heís 12 and this just started a few months ago.
    Jennifer

2017-2018
    DS-13 & DS-14 (mix of 6M & 8M)
    DS-11 (5M)
    DS-9 (SC2)
    DD-7 (MP1)
    DD-5 (SC1)
    DD-3 (Preschool)

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Algebra I, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

Default Re: OT: Stimming without ASD?

At the very least it would be good to look at "Tourette's" and note any similar symptoms. You can ask his pediatrician about ASD, Tourette's, or any further impressions he might have.

Quote Originally Posted by cherylswope View Post
    At the very least it would be good to look at "Tourette's" and note any similar symptoms. You can ask his pediatrician about ASD, Tourette's, or any further impressions he might have.
    -

I donít think itís one of those. He seems to be in control of it to some extent. Similar to his SPD symptoms (he was diagnosed this past summer). Iím just not sure what to do when it happens. It drives people nuts. but if I put him in his room, he just comes back out. His OT suggested getting a boxing bag for when heís mad, but didnít say anything about the noises which usually come from stress and frustration.

ETA: some of the kids do have things that look like ASD (a friend with an ASD child pointed that out one day when we were talking about one of the kids) but they donít have any of the social challenges.
    Last edited by jen1134; 11-09-2018 at 12:54 PM.
    Jennifer

2017-2018
    DS-11 (5M)
    DS-9 (SC2)
    DD-7 (MP1)
    DD-5 (SC1)
    DD-3 (Preschool)

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Algebra I, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)

Such things are not mutually exclusive. We know a 13yo male recently diagnosed with OCD, Tourette's, ASD. I'm not saying it is or is not any of these, but only that it might be good to bring all of this to someone's attention. The "What to do with it?" will best be answered by the "What is it?"

Quote Originally Posted by cherylswope View Post
    Such things are not mutually exclusive. We know a 13yo male recently diagnosed with OCD, Tourette's, ASD. I'm not saying it is or is not any of these, but only that it might be good to bring all of this to someone's attention. The "What to do with it?" will best be answered by the "What is it?"
    Okay, I see. We were referred for neuropsych but canít afford it. The lower-cost university ones near us are hit or miss. Iím going to look at options to get the money together.
    Jennifer

2017-2018
    DS-11 (5M)
    DS-9 (SC2)
    DD-7 (MP1)
    DD-5 (SC1)
    DD-3 (Preschool)

2018-2019
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)

For my son with SPD-like symptoms, who also verbally stims, we use a very ABA approach. I'm not a fan of ABA after at least 2 years of it, but setting clear boundaries for the appropriateness of a stim, substituting the stim with a different one, and redirecting are all options. All of these behavior modifications require a lot of work and consistency. If it truly is Tourette's, I'm not sure if behavior modification is effective.

From the OT perspective, oral movements help organize thoughts and reduce anxiety and boredom. Sensory-seeking kids like mine do well with mints, gum, hot cinnamon candies/Altoids, and pickles...literally just offered in the middle to stop the fixation. Sometimes we squeeze his arms and legs toward the heart, do jumping jacks, swing him around in a circle, or go on a short outdoor field trip. We've put 2 flat fingers on his forehead to press and give him input.

Most people will tell you that you're less likely
    to see stimming when your child is well rested, well nourished on a low refined-sugar, veggie-rich diet, well exercised, and when working within a consistent routine. Sometimes I laugh at the inhumanity of those preconditions, but I can attest to their general helpfulness.

Definitely pursue the local universities. If finances are a concern, many have a sliding-scale fee structure or reduced fees for income instability. Some don't even require tax returns. When we went through the Psychology Dept of a top tier school in our area for some testing, my husband was a few months away from retirement. He was still employed, but we needed to save every dollar because he didn't have a job lined up. They took us at our word and saved us $500. At another university, you had to show proof of being on the equivalent of public assistance or beneath the poverty line for your size of family, which we never would have qualified for. So, definitely ask around...and don't be afraid of university level care. All Ph.D. candidates are working with a mentor who is certified to be making these diagnoses.