Thread: Thoughts on National Mythology Exam

Default Thoughts on National Mythology Exam

I'm seriously considering doing the exam this year. It does look like quite the challenge, though, and I'm not sure we'll be able to thoroughly cover all the sections on top of our normal full MP workload. I know others here participate in the exam. What does preparation look like in your home? One section will be on the Odyssey, which unfortunately my dd will begin studying with the MP guide after the exam. Would you move around the order of the Iliad and Odyssey for the sake of the exam or just do your best to read and look over the assigned books (I think there are only 2 books on the exam)?

Any thoughts from MP staff about this exam? Worthwhile or not? Pros and cons?
    2018/2019
    Dd 12: MP 7A and First Form Greek
    Ds 10: MP 5M
    Ds 5: MP K

Default Re: Thoughts on National Mythology Exam

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I'm seriously considering doing the exam this year. It does look like quite the challenge, though, and I'm not sure we'll be able to thoroughly cover all the sections on top of our normal full MP workload. I know others here participate in the exam. What does preparation look like in your home? One section will be on the Odyssey, which unfortunately my dd will begin studying with the MP guide after the exam. Would you move around the order of the Iliad and Odyssey for the sake of the exam or just do your best to read and look over the assigned books (I think there are only 2 books on the exam)?

Any thoughts from MP staff about this exam? Worthwhile or not? Pros and cons?
    Hi Angela!

My kids took it last year and, honestly, the only preparation they had was going back through their D'Aularies flashcards. The like to have Jeopardy-like flashcard showdowns over both current and past subjects, so that was just fun for them.

This test, for us anyway, is not as important/nerve-wracking as the National Latin Exam. We view it as a fun way to show what they know.
    Last year, my 5th grade son got a medal and my 7th grade daughter missed it by one question. Unlike the NLE, there are no certificates given. You either earn a medal or you don't.

Last year my 7th grader chose the Aeneid as her extra question portion. Rosemary Lively''s "In Search of a Homeland" provided a nice read aloud accompaniment to her Aeneid studies. (She is in a different Latin program and had, quite coincidentally, been translating book 4 last year.) Last year, as I recall, my 5th grader didn't have to choose extra test questions but I'm pretty sure he does this year.

For Odyssey prep, you might read aloud Rosmart Sutcliffe's or Padraic Colum''s version. (Or both!) Either would make a great read-aloud or round-robin read.

The Crow Creation story is available as a download - print that out and read it aloud/discuss, as well. Nothing crazy, just read it and talk about it so that your kids are familiar with it.

I hope this helps! :-)
    Mary

DD13 - 8M (Core/MPOA mashup)
    DS11 - 6M
    DD7 - 1st grade...going on 12th. :)

Pardon me - let me clarify my above post. (I am relegated to my phone, which has a bad habit of deleting posts I try to edit!)

When I said the only real prep for the test was going over Greek Myths flashcards, I meant that was the only real prep for the main test. I did read "In Search of a Homeland" as a pre-bedtime read aloud to help bolster my daughter's studies (and it was just fun for my son to listen to), but we didn't do formal pre-tests or any regimented test prep. It was more flashcard Jeopardy and story reading. This was not at all a stressful experience.

I hope this makes sense! :-)
    Mary

DS11 - 6M

My strategy so far with the NME is to require my 3rd graders to take it. So that means we've done it twice, and the second time my 5th grader wanted to take it again to see if he could get another medal.

For the main test, we are doing Greek Myths already, so I don't do too much additional prep, but I did make sure they had read to the end of the book since we were not done with the class yet at the time of testing, and I did use some of their resource packet for "fun" worksheets. Really, MP's Greek Myths class is more than enough test prep. If you know the facts to know (+ Roman names for the gods, I can't remember off hand if those are in there), you'll be set for the main test.

The additional section for my 5th grader was pretty straightforward and I didn't feel like there really very much necessary test prep other than doing the assigned reading, but he is a strong reader and doesn't have difficulty retaining info.

Basically, I agree with everything Mary said as per usual.
    Jodi
    ~~~~~~~
    2018-19 School Year:
    Ethan (6A)
    Matthew (4A)
    Silas (K)
    Eleanor (3yo, chaos & charm)

Thank you, Mary and JodiSue!

That makes me feel much better. I'm excited that this is an exam that my fifth grader can take as well since he's not yet at level for the NLE. We do spend tons of time studying for the NLE and it does feel like a big deal. I'm not wanting to add another exam of that magnitude, but do want the kids to have an opportunity to put their classical studies knowledge to use.

Mary, the book you mentioned, "In Search of a Homeland," is specific for the Aeneid, right? From your post it sounds as if there is a choice of which sections to test? I thought it was standard that all 7th/8th graders do the same thing.

I'm getting excited about this. I like that they include some Native American mythology as well. That will be an interesting side study for us in an area that we know very little about.
    2018/2019

Mary, the book you mentioned, "In Search of a Homeland," is specific for the Aeneid, right? From your post it sounds as if there is a choice of which sections to test? I thought it was standard that all 7th/8th graders do the same thing.
    It is standard that everyone takes the basic test, but grades 7-8 will do the additional 10 Underworld questions AND 10 questions on the Crow Creation story AND then choose between Odyssey and Aeneid for that final subtest.
    I think grades 9 and up have to take an additional subtest on top of these.
    (I capitalized my conjunctions only for clarity. I swear I am not yelling!) )

Children in grades 3 - 4 take only the main test. Children in grade 5 take the main test and an additional 10 questions on the Underworld. 6th graders take both of those and the additional 10 Crow Creation story questions.

This all sounds confusing but it really is not when you see the test booklets.
    The test booklets will contain all of the subtests (as well as the main test) and are clearly marked so that students at each level know what to answer. It will also instruct 7th and 8th graders where to turn for each of the subtest options (Aeneid or Odyssey).

If you have a super motivated student, you could read the full versions of either book - but that is a lot to add to a child's plate.
    Based on my own limited experience, reading the Sutcliffe or Livesy books will provide enought information for middle school students taking the test. I don't have any experience with the high school portion yet. :-)
    Mary

DS11 - 6M

Do you have to join the ACL to take the exam? I'm having trouble figuring out how to order.

Never mind, I think I've figure it out. Sorry!
    Last edited by Angela; 11-08-2018 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Never mind
    2018/2019

Any thoughts from MP staff about this exam?
    Good morning,

We don't administer the National Mythology Exam at HLS, but we're not opposed to it. We just don't have time for it in our schedule, so we've never taken the time to deeply evaluate it. Personally, based on what Mary and others have written, I think it sounds like a fun opportunity. Good luck to any of your all's students who are taking this exam!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

We havenít taken the National Mythology Exam, but I did sign my older kids up for the Medusa Mythology Exam this year. It is only for grades 6-12. They are just taking it for fun (and the possibility of a cash prize for a perfect paper, but that might be about as likely as winning the mega millions). Both of them are big mythology fans.
    Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
    DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
    DS 10 - 5M
    DS 5 - K with AAR3

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2mthj View Post
    We havenít taken the National Mythology Exam, but I did sign my older kids up for the Medusa Mythology Exam this year. It is only for grades 6-12. They are just taking it for fun (and the possibility of a cash prize for a perfect paper, but that might be about as likely as winning the mega millions). Both of them are big mythology fans.
    That one looks great and my kids were very excited about the cash when we got the flyer last week. I was thinking of doing the National Mythology Exam just because it's still affiliated with the ACL, like the NLE, but I might take a second look at Medusa, too. I love all these opportunities to show off knowledge in something other than coding or robotics, which are both huge around here. (Not that there's anything wrong with those of course, but at this point in their lives my kids know more about mythology than technology and I want to bolster that as much as I can for now!).
    2018/2019