Thread: Adjusting high school expectations

Default Adjusting high school expectations

So far this school year we have had a lot of medical and psych appointments, and we are starting weekly therapy for anxiety. We are also doing two outside classes once a week (that take the whole day with travel time and lunch). These activities are all helping my son and are worth the time.
    I also have a baby and a new student in the homeschool (6 yr old kindergartener). So my grand plans for 9th grade are being adjusted to our actual situation. We have four days at home. One of them ends early for the therapy session. Many of them have been interrupted by Dr visits, although I think that will slow down soon. This is what it seems like is possible right now:

4 at-home days of Latin, Composition, Algebra, Biology (homework for the class), exercise, and alternating 2 days of literature and 2 days of Christian Studies

1 away day with Biology lab class, drama class, some social time, and squeezing in the week’s Latin quiz

No time for Logic or the Homer & Josephus I was going to do for Classical
    Studies/Ancient history credit

I don’t like to have him give up Logic or history, but what to do? It feels like the above is all we can do. The summer is not a great catch-up option because he may have a chance to work then, and he would also like to do typing and drivers ed over the summer. What would you suggest?
    Catherine

2018-19
    DS15, 9th
    DS12, 6th
    DS10, 5th
    DD10, 5th
    DS6, K
    DD3
    DS 7 mos

Homeschooling 3 with MP
    2 using First Form series in school

Default Re: Adjusting high school expectations

Ah, yes, adjusting the Grand Plans. We have all been there!

This looks very good, Catherine.

Keep in mind that you could create his overall transcript by subject, rather than year. This gives you the option of including Logic and History in 10th. His full transcript will be impressive regardless. More importantly, his education will be rich and well-balanced over time. He has Latin, Algebra, Biology, Literature (1/2), Christian Studies (1/2), Composition, and good opportunities to learn more about becoming confident and capable despite his tendencies toward anxiety. Because he has leaned toward all-work-and-no-play, it is good to help him curb his own zeal a little bit. The drama group, therapeutic appointments, and even the baby are all good for him!

If he worries about not having Logic & History this year, you can remind him that 1) he will study Logic another high school year, 2) he will be covering some embedded history through Latin and through Christian Studies, 3) it is more important to do a few things well than to spread himself "too thin" and create so much internal angst that he is not enjoying himself or his studies, and 4) colleges will look at what he studied over the span of his high school years, not merely what he studied in ninth grade.

I think you and he are doing amazingly well! You can tell him we approve and we're cheering him on throughout his high school studies and beyond!

Btw, if he balks at your plan as he has in the past because he fears he will be skimping or missing out, you might want to create a four-year (or five-year) "map" for him when you have time. This will let him see that he will study much and accomplish much over his full homeschool high school.

You can also remind him that his science is very important for him because he possesses the wonderful combination of aptitude and interest for science. For this reason you want to keep math and science (quadrivium) central to his education while keeping him well-rounded through Latin, literature, and composition.

Others may have some tweaking suggestions for something I'm missing, but this all looks very good from here!

Quote Originally Posted by cherylswope View Post
    Ah, yes, adjusting the Grand Plans. We have all been there!

This looks very good, Catherine.

Keep in mind that you could create his overall transcript by subject, rather than year. This gives you the option of including Logic and History in 10th. His full transcript will be impressive regardless. More importantly, his education will be rich and well-balanced over time. He has Latin, Algebra, Biology, Literature (1/2), Christian Studies (1/2), Composition, and good opportunities to learn more about becoming confident and capable despite his tendencies toward anxiety. Because he has leaned toward all-work-and-no-play, it is good to help him curb his own zeal a little bit. The drama group, therapeutic appointments, and even the baby are all good for him!

If he worries about not having Logic & History this year, you can remind him that 1) he will study Logic another high school year, 2) he will be covering some embedded history through Latin and through Christian Studies, 3) it is more important to do a few things well than to spread himself "too thin" and create so much internal angst that he is not enjoying himself or his studies, and 4) colleges will look at what he studied over the span of his high school years, not merely what he studied in ninth grade.

I think you and he are doing amazingly well! You can tell him we approve and we're cheering him on throughout his high school studies and beyond!
    Thanks for the encouragement. I need it too! I think it will be good. He really holed up for 5 days straight every week last year, and it didn't seem to be the best for him.
    Catherine

2018-19
    DS15, 9th
    DS12, 6th
    DS10, 5th
    DD10, 5th
    DS6, K
    DD3
    DS 7 mos

Homeschooling 3 with MP

Quote Originally Posted by cherylswope View Post
    Btw, if he balks at your plan as he has in the past because he fears he will be skimping or missing out, you might want to create a four-year (or five-year) "map" for him when you have time. This will let him see that he will study much and accomplish much over his full homeschool high school.

You can also remind him that his science is very important for him because he possesses the wonderful combination of aptitude and interest for science. For this reason you want to keep math and science (quadrivium) central to his education while keeping him well-rounded through Latin, literature, and composition.

Others may have some tweaking suggestions for something I'm missing, but this all looks very good from here!
    Yes, he does feel nervous about it somewhat. He really enjoys logic and history, for one thing. But I stuck with literature and religion for our afternoon subjects because we were heavy on logic & history last year. I have suggested the idea of a 5-year plan to him, and he is open to that. That's probably our best bet so that he can have some time out in the community too.

Thanks again!
    Catherine

2018-19
    DS15, 9th
    DS12, 6th
    DS10, 5th
    DD10, 5th
    DS6, K
    DD3
    DS 7 mos

Homeschooling 3 with MP