Thread: Natural Treatments and Medication

Default Natural Treatments and Medication

I wondered if any of you had experience and help with naturopathic remedies for ADHD. My Dad sent a video series by Dr. Mark Hyman called "Broken Brain" where he discusses using food, supplements, exercise, sleep, and homeopathic treatments to help those who have depression, ADD, anxiety disorders, dementia, and in some cases even reverse the symptoms. This is something I've researched a little bit since our oldest has struggled with a mood disorder, but she needed immediate help and medicine offered relief, whereas the other things seemed to need more time to take effect, and they didn't seem to be making a huge difference, expensive, and not covered by insurance.

My husband and I just met with a psychologist about our middle daughter (age 8) and after we described her symptoms (diagnosed ADHD, depression, and possibly some anxiety), she mentioned that we might want to use medicine. My concern with medication is twofold:
    1. We had a terrible experience when we first tried medicine for our oldest. She originally presented as OCD and when they put her on an antidepressant, she had uncontrollable rage. It was traumatic for all of us, and I don't want to subject our middle daughter to the same kind of trauma. Their symptoms and personalities are completely different, but I still feel cautious.
    2. I'm concerned there will be other side effects, like loss of appetite or trouble sleeping.

I've noticed that some of you seem to be dealing with similar things with your children. Has anybody seen improvement going a homeopathic route or changing diet?
    Maran Grace

DD12 Grade 7
    DD7 Grade 2
    DD3 Jr. Kindergarten

Peachtree Corners, GA

Default Re: Natural Treatments and Medication

Is the doctor thinking of an anti-depressant again? If so, you can remind the doctor about the apparent reaction by a sibling to a similar class of medication and ask for alternatives. We had intolerable reactions to various trials here but the doctor eventually settled into something effective.

Our thinking has been that the alternative and lifestyle approaches help tremendously. Sometimes they eliminate the need for medication; other times they minimize the need for medication. I think this is true in many areas not limited to neuropsychiatric. Initially the child might need medical intervention, but as the alternative or lifestyle approaches take hold, medications may be weaned under physician care.

As you ponder your options, these non-Rx staples have helped us:

- a friendly game or homespun story to close the day
    - a mug of warm milk with molasses just before bed
    - calcium with magnesium
    - deeply scented oil as a leave-in conditioner after hairwashing to encourage deep breathing while falling asleep
    - heavy blankets for a child who craves them
    - heated blankets from the dryer (10-15 minutes before tucking in)

Most of all, we were encouraged by a pediatric sleep expert years ago to make sure that we do not unknowingly reward or encourage anxious behavior! It is hard to know when to be matter-of-fact and when TLC is needed.

If you find solutions, please share! If you opt for a medication you can always request "the lowest possible therapeutic dose." The key might be remaining open to a combination (rather than either-or) regarding conventional and alternative answers.

Default Re: Natural Treatments and Medication

Quote Originally Posted by mgrace View Post
    I wondered if any of you had experience and help with naturopathic remedies for ADHD. My Dad sent a video series by Dr. Mark Hyman called "Broken Brain" where he discusses using food, supplements, exercise, sleep, and homeopathic treatments to help those who have depression, ADD, anxiety disorders, dementia, and in some cases even reverse the symptoms. This is something I've researched a little bit since our oldest has struggled with a mood disorder, but she needed immediate help and medicine offered relief, whereas the other things seemed to need more time to take effect, and they didn't seem to be making a huge difference, expensive, and not covered by insurance.

My husband and I just met with a psychologist about our middle daughter (age 8) and after we described her symptoms (diagnosed ADHD, depression, and possibly some anxiety), she mentioned that we might want to use medicine. My concern with medication is twofold:
    1. We had a terrible experience when we first tried medicine for our oldest. She originally presented as OCD and when they put her on an antidepressant, she had uncontrollable rage. It was traumatic for all of us, and I don't want to subject our middle daughter to the same kind of trauma. Their symptoms and personalities are completely different, but I still feel cautious.
    2. I'm concerned there will be other side effects, like loss of appetite or trouble sleeping.

I've noticed that some of you seem to be dealing with similar things with your children. Has anybody seen improvement going a homeopathic route or changing diet?
    Hello! A friend of mine just shared a similar video with me about a theory that brain inflammation is causing many of the psychiatric problems kids are struggling with today. I appreciated it---I'm always interested in that kind of research, and know that sleep, exercise, and good nutrition have to help, or at least that not paying attention to those things has to aggravate anxiety and learning disorders. We have also had a negative experience with an antidepressant for our son and are trying every possible alternative that we can before we give medication another go.

We also have used homeopathic medicines. There are a lot of remedies out there labeled as "homeopathics" which are little more than snake oil, so beware. But, classical homeopathy is a field of medicine with certifications for practitioners and medicines regulated by the FDA. When our son was very young, homeopathic medicines eliminated some of his specific symptoms of autism. They didn't cure him of autism, however. I have also personally experienced a cure through homeopathy of my seasonal allergies. Just make sure the practitioner is a classically trained homeopath, with CCH or DHom after their name. And FWIW, homeopathy has not done anything for my son for the past 5 years.
    Catherine

2018-19
    DS15, 9th
    DS12, 6th
    DS10, 5th
    DD10, 5th
    DS6, K
    DD3
    DS 7 mos

Homeschooling 3 with MP
    2 using First Form series in school