Thread: need placement help

Default need placement help

Hello!

I have three wonderful special needs kiddos. I am needing help choosing which programs for placement.

Kids:

daughter-13
    Aspergers, ADHD, bipolar, executive function disorder, expressive language disorder
    no grammar instruction and poor writing ability
    low reading comprehension
    math: grade level 2
    loves: reading and drawing

son- age 11
    ADHD, bipolar, executive function disorder, learning delays
    no grammar instruction, poor handwriting, lack of writing ability
    poor reading comprehension
    math: grade level 1/2
    loves: building, creating things, art

daughter: age 9
    ADHD, low IQ, executive function disorder, language delays, possible autism spectrum, developmental delays
    Math: k/1
    struggling to learn to read, poor handwriting
    low reading comprehension

Where should I place them? which courses would be best for them? Learning has been a huge struggle and has taken a back burner to surgeries and other medical issues.

Thanks!

Default Re: need placement help

Welcome! Let's take this in steps.

1st - Readiness Assessments
    These Readiness Assessments will help tremendously. Scroll to "How to Place Your Special-Needs Child." Based on everything you told us, I would begin with scoring the Level 2 Assessment for your oldest, Level 1 with your middle, and Level C with your youngest. If anyone scores near 100% on every area, move up to the next assessment. Scoring information is included at the end of each assessment.

2nd - Report Back
    Let us know where everyone scores.

3rd - More Info
    Give us a little more information:
    a) Does your son work well with either or both of your daughters? (Looking to combine a few subjects for you, if possible.)

b) Do you envision starting with just a few subjects, like reading, writing, spelling, and arithmetic, or are you looking for full packages with art, music, history, science included?

c) Are any of the three especially eager to learn? If so, the child(ren) might be able to be challenged a little more.

Clearly you have your hands full, so if you do not have time to answer all, just answer whatever you can. We'll go from there!

Glad you found us --

Thank you for responding!

I did the assessments.

Scores:

oldest (13): level 4, deficits in level 3 social, emotional
    math: passed all questions on 3 and 4 assessment, learning to multiply
    reads: young adult fiction but when reading to learn has low comprehension

Son (11): level 1 assessment: greater than 80%
    level 2 assessment: less than 80%
    math: can do multiple digit addition without carrying/borrowing
    reading: hates reading, reads slowly and not fluently

Youngest (9): level B: 80 % or greater, emerging/yes
    Level C: 75-80 % yes/emerging
    math: cannot do basic addition/subtraction
    reading: sight reading, undestands short vowel sounds

hopefully this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by TB5275 View Post
    Thank you for responding!

I did the assessments.

Scores:

oldest (13): level 4, deficits in level 3 social, emotional
    math: passed all questions on 3 and 4 assessment, learning to multiply
    reads: young adult fiction but when reading to learn has low comprehension

Son (11): level 1 assessment: greater than 80%
    level 2 assessment: less than 80%
    math: can do multiple digit addition without carrying/borrowing
    reading: hates reading, reads slowly and not fluently

Youngest (9): level B: 80 % or greater, emerging/yes
    Level C: 75-80 % yes/emerging
    math: cannot do basic addition/subtraction
    reading: sight reading, undestands short vowel sounds

hopefully this helps!
    Yes, this helps immensely!

Your oldest: Level 4. In Level 4 we work on the basics of writing, spelling, and everything needed for learning to multiply. Level 4: Mammals, Multiplication, & Myths includes learning how to learn. We do this through an in-depth mammals study which, bonus for her, includes drawing! We teach literary analysis and reading comprehension through vocabulary, bit-by-bit comprehension, and by staying with one book a very long time. Our literature selections will seem young for her, but you can encourage her that sometimes it is easier to learn comprehension through books that are lower than she can read easily. She will still be free to read her young adult books in her free time, but she will study these books.

Your middle child: Level 2. In Level 2 we work on reading fluency! You will be able to customize upward for math, so that you will teach R&S 2. The Customize button lets you do this and recalculates for you. He will receive plenty of reading practice, so this will be the year his reading accelerates. This, as you know, will serve him well in everything else in the years to come.

Your youngest: Level C. This will be very hands-on, very visual, very repetitive with learning letters, sounds, language, and everything needed for pre-reading. This will ensure success when she begins reading. You mentioned low IQ and language difficulties, so this also makes me lean toward Level C. The good news is that by the end of Level C, we begin teaching reading. If you are on board with C, I think this would be the best place for her.

A few tips:
    -If you are teaching from 3 cores, you will need constructive work, chores, or free time for each child during the times you teach the other(s). This may be different from their routine in the past, so a pep talk might be in order. Partner with whatever their own goals are: "Remember when you said you wished you could read better? Remember when you said you would like to learn to spell/write/do math/(whatever they said)? I have a plan to help you do this. I'm very excited about what you will be able to accomplish."

-Then you might brainstorm with each one privately. Find out what they would enjoy doing independently or are willing to do independently while you work with the other(s). Make a good long list. Create art bins or Lego bins or shelves of good books or a place to listen to accompanying CDs from the levels or lists of chores or whatever you can. Your "new normal" will involve productive one-on-one time with each of them while the others spend time constructively alone or with a sibling. (If the latter is impossible right now, schedule the alone time.)

Feel free to follow up if you have any questions. We're excited for you!