Thread: Cursive First?

Default Cursive First?

Hi Everyone!

I have been reading up on the "cursive first" philosophy online. There are a few programs (Logic of English for example) that strongly recommend teaching cursive first. I am really considering attempting that with my 5 year old son. Cursive was a real "game changer" for my 12 year old son who has dyslexia. It finally stopped him from reversing his letters and allowed him to write so much more quickly and efficiently.

I am wondering, what does research tell us about teaching cursive to children first? If you have strong opinions one way or the other, could you tell me why? I would love to hear both sides so I can make an informed choice.

Thanks!
    Cathy
    Cathy aka The Attached Mama
    2018-2019
    DS 11---MP 5M, IEW, Spelling Plus, AOPS Pre-Algebra, MathCounts, Elemental Biology II, Speech Team
    DD 10---MP 4M, IEW, Latina Christiana (two-year pace), Spelling Plus, AOPS Pre-Algebra, MathCounts, Elemental Biology II, Speech Team
    DS 4 (almost 5)--MP Junior kindergarten, Myself and Others, "I See Sam" Readers, Singapore/Rightstart Math
    (Now we will watch as I start subtracting subjects off my signature. ha!)

Default Re: Cursive First?

Cathy,

I once asked Cheryl why she wrote First Start Reading with students learning manuscript before cursive, because before moving to Louisville and finding Highlands our school used Abeka which begins with cursive. She explained that in that initial year, the year we learn to read, students need to practice writing their letters to help visually imprint those letters to memory. Since when we read we read print, that is how we teach formation, just for that initial kindergarten year. By the end of the year students have mastered manuscript and are quite good readers.

Then in first grade we begin cursive instruction. Letter formation is complete by the end of that year and students have been practicing connections with Copybook which transitions mid-year. Second grade begins with cursive in a few subjects and by the end of the year ever subject is cursive.

So you can see, we donít technically begin with cursive first but we start very early and never turn back!

Blessings,
    Michelle T

Default Re: Cursive First?

When I first looked at MP, I decided against using First Start Reading because I wanted to do cursive-first. Iíve regretted it ever since. After a year of using another program, we had to redo kindergarten and did that with MP K. My daughterís reading took off. Iím sure it would have been slower going if we had done it when she was 5, but the program works. I think the reasons Cheryl gave make perfect sense as well, especially from a multi-sensory consideration. The child is learning to write the exact same shapes that he is learning to decode.
    Jennifer

2017-2018
    DS-13 & DS-14 (mix of 6M & 8M)
    DS-11 (5M)
    DS-9 (SC2)
    DD-7 (MP1)
    DD-5 (SC1)
    DD-3 (Preschool)

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Algebra I, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)