Thread: First Form at half speed?

Default First Form at half speed?

We started Latin late this school year due to a death in the family. We're plugging along but it is taking a solid 2 weeks for each week of Latin according to the plan. We're in week three and should be in week 6. I'm happy going at this pace because we ( I have my own set of workbooks too) are mastering the material. I wondered if anyone else had taken this approach and if there are extra worksheets available? Or suggestions for spreading out the materials.

For context my son is 13 and is using the 7th grade package with FF. He has dyspraxia and dyscalculia.

Jen
    Homeschooling since 2001. Still learning latin

13yo son- MP 7th grade

homeschool graduates-

19yo daughter- education major

22yo son- Software Engineering major

24yo son- Criminal Justice major

27 yo son- organic farmer

Default Re: First Form at half speed?

Hi, Jen. I am sorry for the death in your family.

Yes, this is a perfectly acceptable pace. We will offer a two-week-per-lesson option for FFL when we begin FFL in the Simply Classical Curriculum! Your student is still far ahead of where he would be without studying Latin at all. Like you, I found the half-price helpful for Latin because I was learning too. With all that we do for and with our students with special needs, half-price Latin is easy to justify. As you said, mastery is much more likely. Latin is sequential, so you will find two weeks helpful for reviewing all of the forms. Just don't drag your feet further by slowing too much, because then you risk losing momentum, but two weeks per lesson may serve him well throughout FFL. If you ever felt this was too slow, you could simply accelerate.

Congrats to you for teaching and learning with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Recreationalscholar View Post
    We started Latin late this school year due to a death in the family. We're plugging along but it is taking a solid 2 weeks for each week of Latin according to the plan. We're in week three and should be in week 6. I'm happy going at this pace because we ( I have my own set of workbooks too) are mastering the material. I wondered if anyone else had taken this approach and if there are extra worksheets available? Or suggestions for spreading out the materials.

For context my son is 13 and is using the 7th grade package with FF. He has dyspraxia and dyscalculia.

Jen
    Dear Jen,

My son on the autism spectrum did FFL at half-pace in 6th & 7th grade. We used the DVDs, so that could be the first day's lesson. There are review worksheets just recently published by MP for summer review, which you could just use along with the regular student workbook. There are also suggestions for extra written work (more conjugating on paper, etc) in the Teacher's Manual, if I recall. My son sped a few lessons up when possible, particularly the review lessons if he had already aced the quizzes. He was ready to do Second Form at regular pace by 8th grade. Now we are in Third Form in 9th, and he has a goal of going at regular pace, but we have extended a couple weeks so far.
    Catherine

2018-19
    DS15, 9th
    DS12, 6th
    DS10, 5th
    DD10, 5th
    DS6, K
    DD3
    DS 7 mos

Homeschooling 3 with MP
    2 using First Form series in school

Thank you both for the suggestions. I've got an idea for how to split the work up this week and I think I'll order those review sheets that Catherine mentioned.
    We may be able to speed up later, but right now we can't and I'd rather go slow than to give up.

Jen
    Homeschooling since 2001. Still learning latin

13yo son- MP 7th grade

homeschool graduates-

19yo daughter- education major

22yo son- Software Engineering major

24yo son- Criminal Justice major

27 yo son- organic farmer