Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Traditional Spelling for Struggling Speller

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    158

    Default Traditional Spelling for Struggling Speller

    I saw a suggestion on another thread to use Traditional Spelling for a struggling speller. I thought this was a great idea, and I intend to do this with my 10 year old - I strongly suspect dyslexia, but still waiting on evals.

    Is there a plan to continue the Traditional Spelling series? and if so, is there any timeline on when book 3 would be ready?

    Thanks!
    Amanda
    Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

    "Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,249

    Default Re: Traditional Spelling for Struggling Speller

    Good morning! For now we have only Traditional Spelling One and Two, but this will be sufficient for at least two, possibly three, years of intensive spelling and word study.

    In SC we teach Traditional Spelling One in SC 4 as a one-year course. Then we teach Traditional Spelling Two over SC 5&6 as a two-year course (with a one-year accelerated option) for three years of incremental work with phonemes, prefixes, suffixes, word patterns, and more.

    Someone else from MP may update on any future levels of Traditional Spelling, but I just wanted to assure you that even if the series ended with One and Two, the existing levels are worth investing your time.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    2,248

    Default Re: Traditional Spelling for Struggling Speller

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdmom View Post
    Is there a plan to continue the Traditional Spelling series? and if so, is there any timeline on when book 3 would be ready?
    Good morning Amanda,

    We do plan to continue the Traditional Spelling series, but we do not have an ETA for Level III at this time. Because Levels I and II are still new, we are currently focusing on supporting their launch and evaluating feedback so that we can ensure Level III only improves on the series' strengths.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,469

    Default Re: Traditional Spelling for Struggling Speller

    Cheryl and others ......

    Is there a decision tree for going with Traditional Spelling versus Spelling Workout, with regards to older students?
    DD #1 : 23, college GRADUATE
    DD #2 : 12 MP 7A - HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
    DS #3 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DS #4 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DD #5: 6, MP 1 at HLS
    DS #6: 4, cutest caboose on the loose
    http://www.thekennedyadventures.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    840

    Default Re: Traditional Spelling for Struggling Speller

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Good morning Amanda,

    We do plan to continue the Traditional Spelling series, but we do not have an ETA for Level III at this time. Because Levels I and II are still new, we are currently focusing on supporting their launch and evaluating feedback so that we can ensure Level III only improves on the series' strengths.
    This is fantastic news! I love that all these lovely things will be ready for Captain (M) when he is needing them but sad they aren't here now so my older kids can benefit from them.
    The Homeschool Grads:
    J- 6/96
    S- 11/98

    Still Homeschooling:
    G- 4/04
    D- 5/05
    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

    Future Homeschooler:
    M- 9/16

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Traditional Spelling for Struggling Speller

    So, to be absolutely clear, there are no plans to have TS3 ready for Fall of 19/20? I'm drooling over MP3, but I would totally wait until August of next year if TS3 were in the works.

    I'm loving TS2 with DD. If I could make one suggestion, it would be to extend the examples for mixed up letters through all 15 words. I have considered post-it notes for future children, as it takes enough time to keep the consonant teams together and still scramble the words. The missing vowels/vowel teams is much easier to extend.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    2,248

    Default Re: Traditional Spelling for Struggling Speller

    Quote Originally Posted by enbateau View Post
    So, to be absolutely clear, there are no plans to have TS3 ready for Fall of 19/20? I'm drooling over MP3, but I would totally wait until August of next year if TS3 were in the works.
    Unfortunately, there is no way we will be ready to launch TS3 by the start of the 19/20 school year. We would love to release it ASAP, but we want to work methodically and in conjunction with the HLS 3rd grade teachers to make TS3 the best possible next step in the Traditional Spelling series, however long that takes.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    2,248

    Default Re: Traditional Spelling for Struggling Speller

    Quote Originally Posted by enbateau View Post
    If I could make one suggestion, it would be to extend the examples for mixed up letters through all 15 words. I have considered post-it notes for future children, as it takes enough time to keep the consonant teams together and still scramble the words. The missing vowels/vowel teams is much easier to extend.
    Hello again,

    I completely missed this comment when I responded. Mea culpa!

    We can certainly try to add more examples for this activity, though not every lesson has room for more. That TM is packed!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,249

    Default Re: Traditional Spelling for Struggling Speller

    Quote Originally Posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
    Cheryl and others ......

    Is there a decision tree for going with Traditional Spelling versus Spelling Workout, with regards to older students?

    Currently this is the plan:


    SC 1 - Learning to read, spelling through phonics instruction and word patterns
    SC 2 - Learning to read, spelling through phonics instruction and word patterns, plus Simply Classical Spelling One, Core Skills Spelling 1
    SC 3 - Learning to read, spelling through phonics instruction and word patterns, plus Simply Classical Spelling Two, Core Skills Spelling 2
    SC 4 - Traditional Spelling One
    SC 5 and 6 - Traditional Spelling Two (Two-Year Standard option spreads the study of TS Two over two years to allow for plenty of practice; One-Year Accelerated pace will be available)
    SC 7 and 8 - tbd
    Last edited by cherylswope; 10-22-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Advice for 4th grade struggling speller
    By smithamykat in forum K-8 Curriculum Board
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-07-2018, 07:35 PM
  2. Older struggling speller
    By MyLittleWonders in forum K-8 Curriculum Board
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-28-2018, 06:21 PM
  3. Traditional Spelling 1 Tip
    By pickandgrin in forum K-8 Curriculum Board
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-29-2018, 06:47 PM
  4. Traditional Spelling 2
    By hackberryhill in forum K-8 Curriculum Board
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-22-2018, 02:34 PM
  5. Spelling - 2nd grade - poor speller
    By hkchik in forum K-8 Curriculum Board
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-10-2015, 08:39 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •