Thread: Help with integrating Speech Therapy practice at home

Default Help with integrating Speech Therapy practice at home

Waving at the mommas ......

Who has experience with kids with articulation issues? My youngest son is in speech therapy for articulation issues, and it's SLOW going. He's having particular trouble with /k/ and /g/. His speech therapist is also working on /f/ and /v/ as well as getting him to slow down and not chop off the /s/ at the beginning of words.

I'd love to hear from y'all about how you implemented speech therapy practice at home with your littles. My older boys had speech therapy as well, for similar issues, but they were much more stimulable that Daniel is (at least as I recall).
    DD #1 : 23, college GRADUATE
    DD #2 : 12 MP 7A - HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
    DS #3 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DS #4 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DD #5: 6, MP 1 at HLS
    DS #6: 4, cutest caboose on the loose
    http://www.thekennedyadventures.com

Default Re: Help with integrating Speech Therapy practice at home

Hi, Dianna. My son had articulation-based speech therapy at age 4. We tried to isolate fewer sounds, one at a time, rather than work on all of them at once. That might help.

We worked at the table with little cards I made. Each card had words he knew. I tried to find favorite words or names of people, books, or places that incorporated those speech sounds. The cards had single words to target the desired speech sound, first in isolation, eventually in short sentences. Then longer sentences to see if he could articulate in context. Initially I faced him and said each word before he did. Like your son, fast rate was a culprit, so we slowed the pace with a slightly exaggerated articulation.

If you brainstorm a list of favorite words containing the sounds he needs, that might be a place to start. Pets, foods, relatives, restaurants, toys, super-heroes, things to do, colors, places -- these will be more fun for him to say.

If he is a little impulsive, the very act of paying attention to his speech through these brief but formal exercises may help him better attend to speaking more carefully. We started our homeschool day with his speech exercises. Just 10 minutes helped. Eventually he progressed from 50% intelligibility to 100%.

Hi Dianna,

One of my sons had speech therapy for articulation issues beginning at age 4. At preschool age, that was his primary homeschool activity, practicing words with flashcards. Memorization and recitation of poetry and Bible verses helped, especially with his tendency to rush and slur words together.

I also used an app called Articulation Station for him when we were on the go. I knew I would lose flashcards if I took them out of the house, so this app (not free) was worth it to me. This son didn't have any developmental or behavioral issues, and it was basically his only screen time, so it worked fine for us. We did a lot of speech therapy practice this way in waiting rooms and in the car.
    Catherine

2018-19
    DS15, 9th
    DS12, 6th
    DS10, 5th
    DD10, 5th
    DS6, K
    DD3
    DS 7 mos

Homeschooling 3 with MP
    2 using First Form series in school

I'm sure you have one of those goofy telephone things. It's just the handset so they can hear themselves speaking. My son thought it was a hoot. Definitely turned into more plaything, act obnxious, than speech tool. But, maybe worth a try?

How about recording him on your phone? That might allow him to hear what it sounds like when others hear him. It would also be a good benchmark to show progress (which us nervous mothers need when we perceive snail-pace advancement).
    Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
    DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
    DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Quote Originally Posted by cherylswope View Post
    Hi, Dianna. My son had articulation-based speech therapy at age 4. We tried to isolate fewer sounds, one at a time, rather than work on all of them at once. That might help.

We worked at the table with little cards I made. Each card had words he knew. I tried to find favorite words or names of people, books, or places that incorporated those speech sounds. The cards had single words to target the desired speech sound, first in isolation, eventually in short sentences. Then longer sentences to see if he could articulate in context. Initially I faced him and said each word before he did. Like your son, fast rate was a culprit, so we slowed the pace with a slightly exaggerated articulation.

If you brainstorm a list of favorite words containing the sounds he needs, that might be a place to start. Pets, foods, relatives, restaurants, toys, super-heroes, things to do, colors, places -- these will be more fun for him to say.

If he is a little impulsive, the very act of paying attention to his speech through these brief but formal exercises may help him better attend to speaking more carefully. We started our homeschool day with his speech exercises. Just 10 minutes helped. Eventually he progressed from 50% intelligibility to 100%.
    I should have been clearer.

Those sounds are all the ones he's having trouble with, that are developmentally behind. Before, with the boys, they would work on the sounds like this:

/K/
    First, they'd work on initial /k/, then once that was down, medial /k/ and ending /k/, then in conversation. Then on to /g/, but careful watching to make sure that we didn't dork up the /k/.

With our speech therapist now, we cycle through the sounds. Meaning, one week will be working on /k/, next week /g/, and on and on. I think they did this to minimize frustration on Daniel's part, and to increase confidence. Dropping the /s/ in the beginning of words is an easy fix for him --- meaning, he just needs a reminder to slow down. /k/ and /g/ are the ones that are breaking MY spirit --- we're having a hard time with correct pronunciation of these. (fronting)

So, I think what I plan to do is focus on one sound at a time at home. I've got some activities printed out, ready to go. We also have flash cards that Daniel made with the speech therapist.

I think I'm just a little stressed out, because it seems like we are VERY SLOW with the progress with him, and the boys were faster. Of course, they were a bit older, but the speech errors were the same.
    DD #1 : 23, college GRADUATE
    DD #2 : 12 MP 7A - HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
    DS #3 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DS #4 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DD #5: 6, MP 1 at HLS
    DS #6: 4, cutest caboose on the loose
    http://www.thekennedyadventures.com

If your boys were older when they started speech therapy, then it makes sense to me that they made progress faster. You may not have any cause for extra concern.

When we practice at home my boys make better progress. It can be hard to get in a groove.

My youngest is working on /k/ and /g/, s-blends, and some language stuff. For the articulation, he works in a similar pattern as you described. First they work on the sound in isolation, then initial sounds, final sounds, and medial sounds in words (in that order), then on to phrases, then sentences, then attempting conversational speech. He makes slow progress too. He is currently on medial sounds in words.

He isn't using the cycles approach, but my oldest is. The idea (I think) is that if you work for too long on just one sound, then they will lose any progress on the other sounds that have been covered, so by cycling through a different sound each week - they maintain their progress in all sounds. Even with this approach - I'd be more likely to practice one or two sounds at home, even just for my sanity's sake.

I have also used the articulation station app and definitely liked it. I'm planning on starting to use it again.

/k/ and /g/ are really tough for G. For a long time, he needed a physical prompt (a lollipop or a flavored popsicle stick) in his mouth to push the back of his tongue up to make the sound. He now frequently needs a prompt to open his mouth wide and move his tongue back or to use his back sound.
    Susan

2018-2019
    A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
    C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
    G (5) - Simply Classical C

Quote Originally Posted by sfhargett View Post
    If your boys were older when they started speech therapy, then it makes sense to me that they made progress faster. You may not have any cause for extra concern.
    I would second this! My son didn't make much progress at age 4 either. We even stopped the therapy after a couple years for this reason, although we kept practicing at home. Then at about 2nd grade, he suddenly became aware of his speech difficulty and became highly motivated to correct it. We started the therapy back up again, and in a year he was fully intelligible.
    Catherine

2018-19
    DS15, 9th
    DS12, 6th
    DS10, 5th
    DD10, 5th
    DS6, K
    DD3
    DS 7 mos

Homeschooling 3 with MP
    2 using First Form series in school