Thread: Henle Latin II, Lesson 5 Quiz, #5

Default Henle Latin II, Lesson 5 Quiz, #5

There's a mismatch in the Quiz Key for the Lesson 5 Quiz. The solution says that it comes from Ex. 30 #9, but when I scored it for my son, he claimed that the provided question/translation was no where close to the question he actually was asked in the quiz. It seems that the correct solution SHOULD come from Ex. 30 #7. Correct?

Correct translation should be: Quaesivit quot milites in hibernis essent.

Is this correct?

While I'm here, might I ask how I could counsel my son concerning his translations from English to Latin? He thinks he's "really bad" at doing these. I'm not able to assist or teach him. He self-taught himself entirely through the Henle I text. He is discerning a vocation to the priesthood with the FSSP & is trying to take this seriously, but is a bit discouraged. Any thoughts? Sorry, I know this probably isn't the correct forum for this question. Mea culpa.

Default Re: Henle Latin II, Lesson 5 Quiz, #5

Your son is correct that, He asked how many men were in the winter quarters, is Quaesivit quot milites in hibernis essent, the translation from Ex. 30, #7. I would count viri correct as well for men.

Just a few ideas for translating from English to Latin. Model the sentence in accord with the particular concept that Henle is teaching. For example, if the lesson is teaching cum circumstantial clauses, don't try to go another route and pack the English for that cum clause into a Latin ablative absolute. There is a time and place for being creative and seeing that different Latin constructions might serve for the English, but that comes later.

Henle will have taught the syntax needed for any given exercise. He telegraphs the student the correct construction to be used and rarely throws in a sentence that does not fit the lesson. Use words and constructions already studied. For example, Lesson 5 concentrates on indirect questions. Study the pattern of the Latin indirect questions in the exercises to see how they are written in Latin. Also know that the more often that vocabulary words and constructions are seen in context throughout the exercises, the more familiar and automatic they will become.

English to Latin work helps the student to understand the Latin construction more thoroughly. But, when discouraged, remember that most students find English to Latin composition more difficult and more time-consuming than going from Latin to English. Those who do not enjoy English to Latin work can still do very well in the studentís primary task Ė learning to read Latin.

Hope this helps. Maybe he has more specific questions? Good luck to him in discerning a vocation.

Bonnie
    Last edited by Bonnie; 10-05-2018 at 05:26 PM.