Thread: Apraxia & Writing

Default Apraxia & Writing

Does anyone else here have a child with Childhood Apraxia of Speech and writing issues? We had our evaluation with the OT at our Children's hospital and wasn't terribly impressed. Hopefully that will change after we get the report, but I'm not holding my breath. While waiting, I found out that a friend of mine was an OT (she hadn't worked in the 3 or 4 years I have known her, but I found out because she is getting ready to possibly go back to work). I sent her a short video of my son writing (tracing using StartWrite and some freehand) and the first thing she asked was if he had ever been diagnosed with apraxia. She is the first who has made the connection (unless the OT we saw puts that in her report...but she didn't say anything to me). I'm considering (if my friend is able) having her work with my son. Right now we are waiting, and my friend is going to research more and observe my son more.

So, are there any on here with similar issues? If so, what did you find the most beneficial? When we are doing school, I have him trace using StartWrite to try to help foster good habits. When he writes freehand, it looks like preschool or K writing. He is allowed to write freehand, just not in school. So far his issues seem to be related to the act of physically writing. When he writes things on his own, he usually spells things correctly. He had a hard time reading initially due to auditory processing issues. As his auditory processing has improved, he has progressed well in reading. He now reads at around a late first grade level but can read many 2nd grade words and occasionally third grade words. He has not had serious issues in math. His language skills are improving (better auditory processing helped a lot), but he continues to have articulation errors and some other issues. Ironically, his difficult consonant is "L". His "R" is very good.

Anyway, while we wait, I thought I'd see if anyone here had a similar child, and, if you did, what helped your child the most? It could be several weeks before we even have a report, so I want to make the best use of our time until then. Thanks :-)
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
    ds 22, graduated
    dd 14, 9th Grade
    dd 11, 6th Grade
    ds 9, 4nd Grade

Default Re: Apraxia & Writing

Interesting! Your friend may be your best ally here. She may have good suggestions and, also important, she cares about you and your son!

You can search "apraxia of speech, fine-motor" or "dyspraxia" for some possible connections with recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by cherylswope View Post
    Interesting! Your friend may be your best ally here. She may have good suggestions and, also important, she cares about you and your son!

You can search "apraxia of speech, fine-motor" or "dyspraxia" for some possible connections with recommendations.
    Thanks :-) Yes, I hope she is able to take him on. Yes, I have been searching...so much to look through!
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
    ds 22, graduated
    dd 14, 9th Grade
    dd 11, 6th Grade
    ds 9, 4nd Grade

Two of my children have apraxia of speech (my oldest and youngest). My understanding is this: that since apraxia is a neuromuscular disorder it can often cause motor planning problems body wide. For my boys that means they have some struggles with overall coordination and fine motor delays. Neither have a formal diagnosis of dyspraxia, but both have received OT services for a variety of things. It has been very helpful. They work on body wide motor planning by doing obstacle courses, walking on a balance beam, etc. They work on fine motor strength through games, activities, and some actual writing. My OT uses the Handwriting without Tears curriculum. They also receive OT for sensory processing and behavior regulation.

But, with my oldest, writing is hard work. He has difficulty with both the physical act of writing and coming up with the words to write as well.

Both boys have significant articulation difficulties and have expressive language problems with syntax and grammar.
    Susan

2018-2019
    A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
    C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
    G (5) - Simply Classical C

Quote Originally Posted by sfhargett View Post
    Two of my children have apraxia of speech (my oldest and youngest). My understanding is this: that since apraxia is a neuromuscular disorder it can often cause motor planning problems body wide. For my boys that means they have some struggles with overall coordination and fine motor delays. Neither have a formal diagnosis of dyspraxia, but both have received OT services for a variety of things. It has been very helpful. They work on body wide motor planning by doing obstacle courses, walking on a balance beam, etc. They work on fine motor strength through games, activities, and some actual writing. My OT uses the Handwriting without Tears curriculum. They also receive OT for sensory processing and behavior regulation.

But, with my oldest, writing is hard work. He has difficulty with both the physical act of writing and coming up with the words to write as well.

Both boys have significant articulation difficulties and have expressive language problems with syntax and grammar.
    Thank you :-) My child is 10, but he has delays. I will be interested to see what the OT with the children's hospital wants to do, and especially comparing it to what my friend wants to do.
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
    ds 22, graduated
    dd 14, 9th Grade
    dd 11, 6th Grade
    ds 9, 4nd Grade

I wanted to update for anyone who is interested :-) We've been doing OT for about a month now, and so far I've been VERY pleased. I really like the OT's methodology (treating the child as a whole), AND she practices reflex integration! She is fitting in so well with what we were already doing and complements it really well. I'm so pleased :-)
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
    ds 22, graduated
    dd 14, 9th Grade
    dd 11, 6th Grade
    ds 9, 4nd Grade

Thanks for the update! A good OT is a valuable part of the team. And, yes, we're interested! We always appreciate hearing updates. Happy to hear this --

Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
    ds 22, graduated
    dd 14, 9th Grade
    dd 11, 6th Grade
    ds 9, 4nd Grade