Thread: Ed/Psych Eval

Default Ed/Psych Eval

I'm curious for pros or cons on having an educational/psych evaluation done for Kate. It'd be out of pocket (expensive), but the psych (she's really nice) has a lot of experience with children with Down syndrome and said she's very good at teasing out co-morbidities. Kate was evaluated five years ago when she was turning 3 by the school district, but we've done no formal testing (aside from the annual speech eval). There are a few things that seem like they could be a red flag, but given she's my only child with Down syndrome, I'm not sure if we are just dealing with Ds things or if there's something else going on (autism, ADHD, audio processing/visual processing, etc.) But, it's a lot of money. So ... pros to testing? Cons to testing?

Oh, and for added fun, since they do a classroom visit, she'd come watch Kate and I doing school together in my house while hopefully the three big boys keep the 3 year old busy.
    Brit

Catholic mom to five:
    Ds '01 - rising 12th grader (MP - lit, MPOA Material Logic)
    Ds '03 - rising 9th grader (MP - lit, Latin, MPOA Introductory Physics)
    Ds '06 - rising 7th grader (MP - lit, classical/American studies, Book of Trees, Geo 1 Review)
    Dd '10 (Down syndrome) - SC 1 plus SC B/C fine motor work
    Ds '15 - making mischief - having fun with MP PreK

Default Re: Ed/Psych Eval

Good morning, Brit. I think you identified many of the pros & cons yourself!

Cons --
    1. the cost
    2. the time needed to invest in an eval
    3. the in-house visit
    4. the possibility that she "only" has Down syndrome, which is a dx you already knew
    5. the possibility that you would learn nothing new about how to help or teach her

Pros --
    1. You can draw on the experience of someone you respect.
    2. You have been wondering if her difficulties stem from run-of-the-mill stubbornness or something more.
    3. You have an opportunity now, and earlier is better than waiting till teen years if something else is going on.
    4. You want to help her.
    5. A good evaluation might help tease out things you did not expect or know, including more effective instructional or behavioral strategies.

Your $$. Your decision. What do you think?

I'm leaning toward having it done, despite the cost and the inconvenience/additional work (filling out a bunch of forms). But, you are right ... part of me wonders if we're just dealing with Ds issues and the results wouldn't give us any new information. I know I could request the school district evaluate her without doing the IEP/enrolling her, but they can't diagnose, so I'd still not have answers that ultimate the psych eval would give us.

I know we wouldn't stop homeschooling, nor would we stop using the SC materials. So, I'm not sure what I'd do with the answers (say a co-morbidity of autism). We aren't interested in full-time ABA therapy. But you are right about if we feel there is something else possibly going on, doing it now before we hit the teen years (which kind of freak me out! teen boys are hard enough ... I remember being a teen girl and I'm guessing it won't be any easier with Kate) might help us address a few things maybe from a different angle.

I think I need to take the cost factor out of it ... it's expensive and there's no way around that. I (really, we, my husband and I) need to decide if we feel we need more answers about Kate beyond the basic Down syndrome diagnosis, or if we just keep doing what we do, addressing things and hope that at the end of it, we've been able to give her what she needs to learn and grow.
    Brit

Catholic mom to five:
    Ds '06 - rising 7th grader (MP - lit, classical/American studies, Book of Trees, Geo 1 Review)

If you were to find, for example, that she has autism in addition to Down syndrome, this might change your approach to breaking things down further, providing even more advanced notice prior to change or transition, and assistance with sensory issues. A diagnosis of autism might translate to additional services, therapies (not limited to ABA), and a more broadly compassionate understanding of her struggles.

If you were to find, as another example, that she might benefit from specific medical or behavioral intervention, this could be life-changing.

Tough call, but as you say, the public school evaluation may not be sufficiently thorough. If you do this now, you will not always wonder, and if nothing else, you may rule out co-existing conditions.

Blessings on your decision --

Thank you, Cheryl.
    Brit

Catholic mom to five: