Thread: Reading advice

Default Reading advice

We are a few weeks in to SC4 and I love the whole homeschooling experience. My daughter is relaxed, motivated and just so pleased to work and learn at home. Wish we had done it earlier, but things happens in time for a reason. I'm so blessed that I decided to listen to my mother's intuition and the signs God kept communicating to me.
    So after a just two weeks of observing my daughter I'm struck with how much she struggles with the stamina of reading. I feel a bit guilty about having missed this for so long. It's not that she can't decode, her phonics skills are overall pretty good (with some gaps that we're filling slowly). But when she reads aloud she often cuts off words, and sometimes leaves words out. Maybe it's just her trying to read too fast? But comprehension is weak too. She tires very quickly when reading, seemingly like it takes a huge effort to process it all. She likes the mammals study, but I have to do the reading and it's very hard for to write more than a sentence or two, and they end up with many spelling errors.
    I'm wondering if we should keep working with SC4 or step down a level after all? Or keep working and slow down the process. She's not a fluent reader by any means at this point, so what would be a good path? I'm perusing SC3, even SC2 just for reading fluency... She's bright and quick to learn, but the reading is hard for her. I think she's been so discouraged from reading because it's been above her reading level for several years now in the school setting, and I trusted that she was learning what she needed, and was at "grade level"
    However, when we studied and the first week of Animal Folk Tales and "A Fish out of Water", she read it beautifully by the end of the week. This after we worked through the phonics chunks and several re-readings.
    Do we continue with SC4 or step down to SC3 for more reading practice?

Thanks!
    Malin

Default Re: Reading advice

Malin, we are so happy to hear that you are enjoying homeschooling! It seems so innovative, doesn't it?? Yet we are doing little more than we did when they were young children! Just being with them, teaching them, walking alongside them, talking with them throughout the day, and learning more about them as they grow.

It is good that she responded well to slowing down and concentrating on those portions that she needed. I would continue to do this. SC 3 expects more, whereas SC 4 helps you back up to cover basics, so you are likely well-placed at SC 4. If you need more basic reading, you might look to some of the readers from SC 2 to supplement. This will help extend her reading stamina, but at a level she comprehends more readily. Then she is not trying to do too many things at once. She could read these easier readers to you while you make dinner or at any other time that is not quite so intensively devoted to concentrating.

You might make quick notes in your planner as you see any skills or concepts to review. Then you can review just as you did with "A Fish Out of Water."

Guess what. You're a teacher! Congratulations.

If she is reading well by the end of the week, then I bet she is at the right level. You and she are new at this, make sure you allow yourself time to adjust! Let go of the guilt, it is hard, but holding on to it does neither you nor her any good.

Are you team reading the SC4 literature with her - alternating pages or paragraphs - or are you trying to have her read all of it herself? That could make a difference. The idea would be to slowly increase the quantity she is reading at a time. If she skips a word or get a word wrong, you could say, "Why don't you try that sentence again?" or "Try putting your finger under each word as you read for a bit."

For the mammals study - I would expect that it is normal for you to be reading it aloud - that book seems to be a higher reading level than the literature. I could be wrong. As for writing, it can be difficult to get used to writing a lot. Think of all the different things that are happening during reading -- thinking of the words, putting them in the right order to make a good sentence, remembering how to spell the words and how to form the letters, etc. It takes time to transfer correct spelling from spelling lessons to general writing.

Cheryl's ideas of the SC3 readers is a good one. You could also look at Highlands supplemental reading lists for the primary grades. For fluency, one idea would be to choose books that are a bit below her "teaching" level and give her lots of practice reading from those.

But the major point should be that it is great that you are feeling happy about what you are doing and that you are on the right path.
    Susan

2018-2019
    A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
    C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
    G (5) - Simply Classical C

Agreeing with everything everyone said above!

I "third" the notion that if by the end of the week she is reading the literature well, then it is the "perfect" level for her. Also seconding the notion that you should be team reading the story! In the model school for MP, they go over these selections in class. In a classroom a single child may only read a sentence, while following along for the rest. You might continue with you reading more and her less and gradually working up to her reading more and you reading less. (The whole year though, I would not have her reading the whole thing, except in the re-reads)

In the writing, are you having her orally answer the question in a complete sentence, then writing her answer on the board to copy?

Lastly, the Mammals is HARD! It's much harder than I thought it would be. I would expect you to be doing most of the reading (but allow her to read some of it with you. I bought a text myself so we can read it together (she follows along). We have been answering about 1/2 the questions orally and 1/2 written. She has had to go back and "research" the answer (i.e look for it in the text). I think that is a skill in itself, so the writing I have chosen to lighten. She will try to give a shorter answer because she does not want to write such a long answer! When I said "we will not be writing all the answers, please try and answer in a GOOD sentence, not just a short one", her answers greatly improved!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by howiecram; 09-25-2018 at 09:27 PM.
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Thank you all! This is all so very helpful! It's hard to know how much to expect while getting used to it, but I feel equipped to move forward know. I love seeing her learn

It does sound like she is at the correct level if she is reading the selection fluently by the third reading at the end of the week AND if she is understanding what she read. One note I wanted t clear up is in regard to how much the student should read. It is actually more than just a sentence. Students will read about a paragraph just for literature. They will also do other oral reading during the day in Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans or Patterns of Nature. I just didn't want you to think a sentence a day was enough. Since your child struggles with oral reading , sections should be broken up. If a paragraph ends in complete frustration with no idea what she decoded, stick to a sentence here and there throughout the assigned selection rather than reading the amount all at once. Work to add more consecutive sentences as she gains confidence. This can be done just by saying "Oh! You read that sentence so well, keep going." But stopping when you notice signs of frustration. Stamina will increase as she gains confidence in her ability which will come from practice.

Blessings,
    Michelle T

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle T View Post
    . One note I wanted t clear up is in regard to how much the student should read. It is actually more than just a sentence. Students will read about a paragraph just for literature. They will also do other oral reading during the day in Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans or Patterns of Nature. I just didn't want you to think a sentence a day was enough. Since your child struggles with oral reading , sections should be broken up. If a paragraph ends in complete frustration with no idea what she decoded, stick to a sentence here and there throughout the assigned selection rather than reading the amount all at once. Work to add more consecutive sentences as she gains confidence. This can be done just by saying "Oh! You read that sentence so well, keep going." But stopping when you notice signs of frustration. Stamina will increase as she gains confidence in her ability which will come from practice.

Blessings,
    Michelle T
    I don't know why I said that! (about the one sentence!) Thanks for clearing that up!
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

No problem howiecram! I just didn't want anyone who followed the thread to be unsure!

Blessings,
    Michelle T