Thread: OT: London trip

Default OT: London trip

Hi Ladies,
    I am taking our high school aged daughter to London with me (and my mom and sister) in October. I know that there are the usual big attractions to see, however I was wondering if you have any suggestions that might be a little less well known that we would enjoy because of using classical education. Taking her to the Globe theatre is on the list along with the big ones such as the Tower of London, National Gallery, and other well known ones.
    Suggest Away!

Default Re: OT: London trip

There are a lot of ancient Roman sites in London that might be fun to go to. This website outlines some of the better known ones: https://visitlondon.com/things-to-do...c/roman-london. One of my college Latin profs went to Billingsgate Roman House and Baths, and she said it was really fun and interesting.

That is great! I will look into the Roman bath. Thanks

The British Museum, which is obvious, will be chock full of things you recognize and enjoy. My only suggestion there is not to rush that visit. 🙌

And great for you--what an amazing experience! I went to England when I was fourteen with my grandmother and I still remember things we saw. I actually touched the Rosetta Stone. 😮 I think it's behind plexiglass now, probably because of chumps like me.
    Last edited by pickandgrin; 09-08-2018 at 09:15 PM.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

Fall 2018 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
    Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
    DS MPOA Henle 2, 9A
    DD MPOA 4th Form, 7A
    DD 4A
    DS 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
    www.nashvillelatinschool.com

My son (will be 14 by his trip) gets to take a trip with his grandma this coming spring. She took my older daughter to Rome with Lukeion in May 2017. Unfortunately, they are not taking any trips for awhile. My son would really love to see the British museum and England, but is open to other destinations. Does anyone know of a good tour for a grandparent and a MP history buff kind of kid? My mom is just nervous to take him alone.
    Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
    DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
    DS 10 - 5M
    DS 5 - K with AAR3

We just got a flyer from Hillsdale today about trips for high school students. Not sure about adult chaperones, but it might be worth investigating. They had one to Italy that was to die for.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

Fall 2018 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
    Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
    DS MPOA Henle 2, 9A
    DD MPOA 4th Form, 7A
    DD 4A
    DS 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
    www.nashvillelatinschool.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2mthj View Post
    My son (will be 14 by his trip) gets to take a trip with his grandma this coming spring. She took my older daughter to Rome with Lukeion in May 2017. Unfortunately, they are not taking any trips for awhile. My son would really love to see the British museum and England, but is open to other destinations. Does anyone know of a good tour for a grandparent and a MP history buff kind of kid? My mom is just nervous to take him alone.
    Poke around universities with Classics departments. I took a trip with a university to Rome years ago. I know that professor has moved on, but it was a nice mix of college students and adults. We weren't treated like veal (everyone off the bus and follow my flags...)

ETA- we also have our fingers crossed the Lukeion doesn't take too much time off of their travel programs.
    Bean

DD- 9M with subs

Sorry, I just wanted to go back briefly to the original post and toss in a few ideas for London. You might also consider the Churchill War Rooms; the Wallace Collection; the Prime Meridian at Greenwich and Royal Observatory; and Tate Britain. Westminster Abbey is probably already on your list. At the Tower, be sure to look for Sir Philip Howard's poignant inscription in Latin in his cell. And I concur about leaving plenty of time for the British Museum.

Henry VIII's Hampton Court Palace is an easy 40-minute train trip from London. If by some chance you have a day to spend outside London, you might consider Oxford, less than 2 hours away by coach. The Oxford University colleges, like Christ Church, are gorgeous, and there are other historic buildings like the Bodleian Library (which by the way has a Tolkien exhibit on through October).

What a great month to go; October should be glorious.

Bonnie
    Last edited by Bonnie; 09-16-2018 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pickandgrin View Post
    The British Museum, which is obvious, will be chock full of things you recognize and enjoy. My only suggestion there is not to rush that visit. 🙌

And great for you--what an amazing experience! I went to England when I was fourteen with my grandmother and I still remember things we saw. I actually touched the Rosetta Stone. 😮 I think it's behind plexiglass now, probably because of chumps like me.
    When I visited years ago, there were children climbing on a monumental, ancient Egyptian scarab. I was an art history major at the time and ... well ... astonished! Bet you didn't crawl all over the Rosetta Stone, or even chip any off!
    Ana, mama to
    ds A, 7A
    ds N, 3A