Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Simply Classical Levels 5 & 6 Book List

Default Re: Simply Classical Levels 5 & 6 Book List

Quote Originally Posted by cherylswope View Post
    Yes, there will be two different manuals. The Two-Year Manual will include extra practice, review games, and "delve deeply" items that will not be possible to include at the accelerated pace. This could make it difficult for a user to determine which to include or omit when accelerating. The One-Year Manual streamlines rapidly and removes those extra items to accelerate in a manner closer to the MP pacing.

As you might imagine, the Two-Year Manual became monstrous with Reviews & Tests included along with two years of lessons, so we pulled those Reviews & Tests for separate formatting.
    All good things! It is going to be tricky to decide what manual to get! My hope is the 1 year pace, but Latin, for example may need more time.

I am similar to Colomama and trying to decide what to do as a group. My son could/would do well with the oral portions of Christian Studies, Greek Myths, but probably too much for the youngest. She would be MP1, but as you mentioned, I do not want to try to do 2 levels.

I feel like a Rose could handle more writing, but probably not the full MP3. She will finish Traditional Spelling 2 this year. Prima is going well, but could see all 3 girls in our co-op, probably needing 2 years total (not 4) to do LC. It kind of puts us all over the place. (Math will be R&S4)

It is still a little early, but I like to suppose what next year will entail!
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Default Re: Simply Classical Levels 5 & 6 Book List

Quote Originally Posted by howiecram View Post
    All good things! It is going to be tricky to decide what manual to get! My hope is the 1 year pace, but Latin, for example may need more time.
    Keep in mind that the 5&6 combined One-Year Accelerated program will cover 1/2 of Latina Christiana in one year.

If you intend to study LC in two years total, the One-Year Accelerated might work well for her. As always, everything will be customizable, so you could substitute a higher math & spelling.

For most of our SC students, we recommended the Two-Year Standard Pace; however, for those students (WoolC's child or your daughter) who are gradually inching toward full MP but not quite ready for everything, the One-Year Accelerated might be a good alternative.
    Last edited by cherylswope; 11-26-2018 at 04:34 PM.

Default Re: SC 5-6 Book List

Quote Originally Posted by cherylswope View Post
    We created the plans for 5 days. We included both review and "delve deeply," along with brief movement/multisensory lessons within the 5 days.

However, if your family relies on 4 days, you can teach 4 days especially if you choose the standard Two-Year plans.

Often on Tuesdays and Thursdays we review spelling words and patterns, math facts, and Latin vocabulary. You could move these to the lesson days by reviewing first, then teaching.

I have the draft of the Two-Year Lesson plans in front of me. You can combine Thursdays & Fridays as I just described, or you could combine Tuesdays & Wednesdays. You would simply begin your lessons with any needed review activities that might be suggested. This will give you a 5th day for any of these options: being free, reviewing, or delving deeply into anything you might have missed or want to explore further.
    I have been off of the forum for awhile. I sometimes try to limit my online time. I plan to use SC 4 next year, and then SC 5/6 as one year. However, one of the HUGE attraction factors to SC is the 4 day a week plan. It gives us time to catch up. It gives us time to go on field trips. It gives us time for doctor's appointments. It gives us time to study, in depth, the topics that I think are so important, like art and music, if we do not need a catch up day. I have been dying trying to do Stella's MP6 in 4 days, and we are all upset, frustrated, and unhappy with it. I would very much prefer 4 days. I will need to do SC 5/6 combined. Clara's reading, thanks to Cheryl's program and her assistance, is incredible now. She is reading Les Miserables (obviously an abridged version)! I do not want to hold her back, and really do not want to put her in regular MP because she will see the grade level and become downtrodden and even more argumentative than usual. I also completely believe that the help that Cheryl puts in the SC guides is what makes Clara understand everything we are doing. I am now praying that a 4-day option will be added to the 1 year plan. I have noticed that Sonlight has a 4 and a 5 day option. I have no desire to do Sonlight, but I really hope that SC can have both options.
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Anita View Post
    Totally OT:
    You know what STINKS? I want this whole course for my kids. I could combine it with MP3 and have a smashing good time. (Grass is greener, I guess.) They all went back to school today (I have a gloriously quiet house.) But my gears are turning over grammar, literature and Latin. The school is great for STEM and electives, but my English degree is not satisfied with the emphasis on the other things. I need some deep diving there. Is there a such thing as a STEM/elective school that meets two days a week? If all I had to reach was language and history, Id be right in my stride.

(Leave it alone, Anita. Things are going well. Leave it alone!)
    Hi Anita, I have been off of the Forum for a couple of months, and saw this post from you. How is school going for your kids? Are they learning? Are they making friends? Are they having fun? How are YOU doing with the change? I imagine it would be quite drastic. I really hope that all is well.
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by jejegreer View Post
    I have been off of the forum for awhile. I sometimes try to limit my online time. I plan to use SC 4 next year, and then SC 5/6 as one year. However, one of the HUGE attraction factors to SC is the 4 day a week plan. It gives us time to catch up. It gives us time to go on field trips. It gives us time for doctor's appointments. It gives us time to study, in depth, the topics that I think are so important, like art and music, if we do not need a catch up day. I have been dying trying to do Stella's MP6 in 4 days, and we are all upset, frustrated, and unhappy with it. I would very much prefer 4 days. I will need to do SC 5/6 combined. Clara's reading, thanks to Cheryl's program and her assistance, is incredible now. She is reading Les Miserables (obviously an abridged version)! I do not want to hold her back, and really do not want to put her in regular MP because she will see the grade level and become downtrodden and even more argumentative than usual. I also completely believe that the help that Cheryl puts in the SC guides is what makes Clara understand everything we are doing. I am now praying that a 4-day option will be added to the 1 year plan. I have noticed that Sonlight has a 4 and a 5 day option. I have no desire to do Sonlight, but I really hope that SC can have both options.
    This is good feedback, JeJe. We were the same in our homeschool. Even today my son goes to work 4 days a week. The 5th allows us breathing room for doctor appointments and catching up. We will see what we can do for you!

Quote Originally Posted by jejegreer View Post

Just another note on this in case you did not see the instructions earlier in this thread. (I would not expect you to have seen these & respect your commitment not to be online too much!)

Sharing here:

We created the plans for 5 days. We included both review and "delve deeply," along with brief movement/multisensory lessons within the 5 days.

If your family relies on 4 days, you can teach 4 days especially if you choose the standard Two-Year plans.

Background:
    On Tuesdays and Thursdays we often have lighter days reviewing spelling words and patterns, math facts, and Latin vocabulary. You could move these to the lesson days by placing the review first in each subject, then teaching the lesson.

Method:
    Combine either Thursdays & Fridays or combine Tuesdays & Wednesdays. You would begin your lesson with any Tues or Thurs review activities that might be suggested, or you could omit them if your student does not need them! This will give you a 5th day for any of these options: being free, reviewing, catching up, or delving deeply into anything you might have missed or want to explore further.

Teaching from the One-Year plans might be more challenging to accomplish in 4 days, but it can be done.