Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simply Classical Levels 5 & 6 Book List

Default Simply Classical Levels 5 & 6 Book List

Simply Classical Levels 5 & 6 Book List

Curriculum Manual
    SC Levels 5 & 6 Curriculum Manual (two-year pace lesson plans) OR SC Levels 5 & 6 Curriculum Manual (one-year pace lesson plans)
    SC Levels 5 & 6 Reviews & Tests

Latin
    Latina Christiana Basic Set:
    >Latina Christiana Teacher Manual
    >Latina Christiana Student Book
    >Latina Christiana CD
    Latina Christiana Review Worksheets Set
    >Latina Christiana Review Worksheets
    >Latina Christiana Review Worksheets Key

Math
    R&S Grade 3 Math Set
    >Teacher's Manual (with Worksheets Key)
    >Student Book (with Supplemental Worksheets)
    >Blacklines
    >Speed Drills

Spelling
    Traditional Spelling Book Two Set
    >Traditional Spelling II Teacher Manual
    >Traditional Spelling II Student Book
    >Traditional Spelling II Practice Sheets

Literature, Grammar, Composition
    Core Skills Language Arts 3
    Introduction to Composition Teacher Key
    Introduction to Composition Student Guide
    English Grammar Recitation I Teacher Manual
    English Grammar Recitation Flashcards
    Farmer Boy, novel
    Farmer Boy, Teacher Guide
    The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, book
    Charlotte’s Web, novel
    Charlotte’s Web, Teacher Guide
    A Bear Called Paddington, novel
    A Bear Called Paddington, Teacher Guide
    Mr. Popper’s Penguins, novel
    Mr. Popper’s Penguins, Teacher Guide
    Composition and Sketchbook III
    Poetry for the Grammar Stage Teacher Guide
    Poetry for the Grammar Stage Student Guide

Cursive
    New American Cursive 3: Scripture and Manners
    My Thankfulness Journal: Intermediate

Christian and Classical Studies (History)
    Christian Studies I Teacher Manual
    Old Testament Flashcards
    Christian Studies Memory Verses Flashcards
    D'Aulaires' Greek Myths Teacher Guide
    D’Aulaires’ Greek Myths Flashcards
    The Golden Children’s Bible
    D'Aulaires' Greek Myths, text
    Timeline Program
    >Handbook
    >Composition & Sketchbook
    >Wall Cards
    >Student Flashcards
    Courage and a Clear Mind CD

Enrichment (Art, Music, Geography, Science)
    Creating Art
    Music Appreciation I (including online playlists)
    States & Capitals Teacher Guide
    States & Capitals Student Study Guide
    God’s Protected World Teacher's Manual (R&S)
    God’s Protected World Student Book (R&S)

New User Add-on Set (required items that were included in previous SC packages)
    Demo Clock
    States & Capitals Flashcards
    Prima Latina/Latina Christiana Flashcards
    Classical Phonics, Second Edition
    Phonics Flashcards
    Addition Flashcards (FlashKids)
    Subtraction Flashcards (FlashKids)
    Multiplication Flashcards (FlashKids)
    Division Flashcards (FlashKids)

Recommended Supplements
    SC 5 & 6 Read-Aloud Set*
    Poetry for the Grammar Stage Anthology
    Latina Christiana DVDs
    Lingua Angelica CD
    Music Appreciation CD

Optional Supplements for Additional Writing Practice
    Christian Studies I Student Guide
    D’Aulaires’ Greek Myths Student Guide
    Farmer Boy, Student Guide
    Charlotte’s Web, Student Guide
    A Bear Called Paddington, Student Guide
    Mr. Popper’s Penguins, Student Guide
    English Grammar Recitation I Student Book
    StartWrite CD

*Read-Aloud Set
    Mary Poppins, by P. L.Travers
    James Herriot’s Treasury for Children
    The Saturdays, by Elizabeth Enright
    The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson Burnett
    The Little Lame Prince, by Dinah Maria
    Caddie Woodlawn, by Carol Ryrie Brink
    The Family Under the Bridge, by Natalie Savage Carlson

Optional Extended Lit Set (SC 3 American History Read-Aloud Set)
    Meet Christopher Columbus
    Pocahontas: Young Peacemaker
    The Thanksgiving Story
    Sarah Morton’s Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Girl
    Benjamin Franklin
    Meet George Washington
    Betsy Ross: Designer of Our Flag
    Where Was Patrick Henry on the 29th of May?
    Paul Revere’s Ride
    Paul Revere: Boston Patriot
    Meet Thomas Jefferson
    If You Were There When They Signed the Constitution
    The 4th of July Story
    Daniel Boone: Young Hunter and Tracker
    Johnny Appleseed
    Robert Fulton: Boy Craftsman
    How We Crossed the West: The Adventures of Lewis and Clark
    The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon
    Thomas Jefferson Builds a Library
    The Star-Spangled Banner
    Meet Abraham Lincoln
    Clara Barton: Founder of the American Red Cross
    Riding the Pony Express
    Locomotive
    George Washington Carver
    The Story of Thomas Alva Edison
    Helen Keller
    The Wright Brothers: Pioneers of American Aviation
    Neil Armstrong: Young Flyer
    Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans
    Last edited by Michael; 11-26-2018 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Final list!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Default Re: SC 5-6 Book List

So the extended lit portion of this curriculum is going to be the same books used in Simply Classical 3?

What about Ludere Latin? I hear this is a great addition to LC? Too hard for SC kids?
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Quote Originally Posted by ElThom07 View Post
    So the extended lit portion of this curriculum is going to be the same books used in Simply Classical 3?
    Yes. If returning students heard these only as read-alouds, they can now read them as "readers." Many will be two years older now and will glean more from them than they did the first time through. This will give oral reading practice along with the American history overview.

Some 5 & 6 students come to us "brand new" and never read these or heard these. This will provide new oral reading practice along with the American history insights and information.

This is optional, however. Our SC 5&6 students will be reading daily in Literature. For different oral reading practice, if you did not want the American history selections, your Extended Lit books could come from this Supplemental Reading List. If you are working on fluency without the need for intensive pre-reading phonics, you might choose a level beneath the student's placement.

Quote Originally Posted by howiecram View Post
    What about Ludere Latin? I hear this is a great addition to LC? Too hard for SC kids?
    We loved Ludere Latine at our house, but with special needs it is VERY teacher-intensive, especially with the puzzles requiring grammar forms specific to tense, persons, and number.

For 7&8, we plan to have a Simply Classical Ludere Latine that will review 5&6 and provide puzzles for 7&8.

Michael Simpson & I discussed this possibility several months ago. We're eager to make this available. If it is ready sooner than 7&8, we will let everyone know.

In the meantime, Ludere Latine might be considered an optional supplement, but know ahead of time that this would become your new "hobby" alongside homeschooling. If you like puzzles and you enjoy Latin, this might be fine! However, in keeping with the strong desire to have everything completely teachable, we will not add the original Ludere Latine to the book list at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by cherylswope View Post
    We loved Ludere Latine at our house, but with special needs it is VERY teacher-intensive, especially with the puzzles requiring grammar forms specific to tense, persons, and number.

For 7&8, we plan to have a Simply Classical Ludere Latine that will review 5&6 and provide puzzles for 7&8.

Michael Simpson & I discussed this possibility several months ago. We're eager to make this available. If it is ready sooner than 7&8, we will let everyone know.

In the meantime, Ludere Latine might be considered an optional supplement, but know ahead of time that this would become your new "hobby" alongside homeschooling. If you like puzzles and you enjoy Latin, this might be fine! However, in keeping with the strong desire to have everything completely teachable, we will not add the original Ludere Latine to the book list at this time.
    That sounds great!
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

Cheryl, can you describe how R&S Science is used? Looks like there's a group read section followed by independent reading. Is the plan to follow that?

Do we have a publish timeline? We are basically doing this level right now. I had never thought of eliminating the lit guides, but I had already decided to scribe a lot of the other elements like Greek Myths to reduce writing.
    Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
    DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
    DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Quote Originally Posted by Colomama View Post
    Cheryl, can you describe how R&S Science is used? Looks like there's a group read section followed by independent reading. Is the plan to follow that?

Do we have a publish timeline? We are basically doing this level right now. I had never thought of eliminating the lit guides, but I had already decided to scribe a lot of the other elements like Greek Myths to reduce writing.
    Good questions! Also curious your thoughts on the Poetry for the Grammar stage used in MP 3-7, I believe?
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

Science --
    We are NOT requiring the "Independent Reading" to be independent unless the student is capable of both decoding and comprehending at the required reading level. Instead, the terms and concepts in those portions should be taught in the same manner as the section that comes before it in every lesson. You might be able to manage a paragraph of his rereading what you read (here and there), and this would be a good way to review the material while having him read.

We schedule this over at least two days to ensure that at least one activity or experiment is conducted each week. You can choose ahead of time to give yourself opportunity to gather needed materials. Usually they are household items.

Poetry for Grammar Stage --
    We include this in small doses in 5 & 6, scheduled just like MP Third, interspersed among fiction.

Release Date --
    That is a Tanya question!

Poetry for Grammar Stage --
    We include this in small doses in 5 & 6, scheduled just like MP Third, interspersed among fiction.
    Is there a book? I feel like I am not seeing this on the book list?
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

Ah, you are correct! It is on my list at home but somehow I did not transfer it to the master list. You will need both the Poetry for the Grammar Stage Teacher Manual and Poetry for the Grammar Stage Student Book.

As you mentioned, this set -- along with many of the books -- will be used for several years. We could not skimp on the student book for poetry, because more written engagement will be needed from the student in the poetry studies. I remain hopeful that costs with the SC 5&6, 7&8 plan will be lower for our families in the end!

P.S. You will now find those books on the master list above. Thanks for catching that, Christine!

Release Date -- That is a Tanya question!
    I'm not Tanya, but she's out all week so I'm going to hijack

We are hoping to have SC 5&6 ready to release in late fall or early winter.

HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Do you think we can combine SC 3 & SC 4? I would love that combo because then we can do the accelerated version of 5-6 for 5th grade, 7-8 for 6th grade, and 9-10 for 7th grade, and then Clara is only one year behind. I can deal with being a year behind. I am THRILLED that you have the accelerated version. Also, if you are transitioning from MP regular to SC starting with 5-6, would you be ready to do SC 5-6 after MP 2nd grade? I am still debating between 2nd grade and SC 3. There is too much writing in MP 2, but the reading is too easy in SC3. SC 3 writing is on target, 2nd grade math is going to be a bit easy, but OK since I bought the 2nd grade lesson plans and we will do the entirety of Math 2 this year, and spelling is concerning me still because the sole thing that has not worked for us in the SC curriculum is the spelling books. I bought Spelling Workout A and B to complete both this year instead of SC Spelling. I could order Traditional Spelling 1 and just use it through the year if there was a combined SC3-4 accelerated plan. I cannot ever thank you enough for providing a means to teach Clara to read. She reads the newspaper and chapter books like Magic Treehouse and the 13-Story Treehouse and Nancy Clancy for fun. It is remarkable how you used the curriculum to make it all understandable to her. Clara wants to be a veterinarian so the accelerated curriculum will be absolutely fabulous for her, and I think that maybe I should combine SC 3 and SC 4 instead of doing MP 2 now that I hear this idea.
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by jejegreer View Post
    Do you think we can combine SC 3 & SC 4? I would love that combo because then we can do the accelerated version of 5-6 for 5th grade, 7-8 for 6th grade, and 9-10 for 7th grade, and then Clara is only one year behind. I can deal with being a year behind. I am THRILLED that you have the accelerated version. Also, if you are transitioning from MP regular to SC starting with 5-6, would you be ready to do SC 5-6 after MP 2nd grade? I am still debating between 2nd grade and SC 3. There is too much writing in MP 2, but the reading is too easy in SC3. SC 3 writing is on target, 2nd grade math is going to be a bit easy, but OK since I bought the 2nd grade lesson plans and we will do the entirety of Math 2 this year, and spelling is concerning me still because the sole thing that has not worked for us in the SC curriculum is the spelling books. I bought Spelling Workout A and B to complete both this year instead of SC Spelling. I could order Traditional Spelling 1 and just use it through the year if there was a combined SC3-4 accelerated plan. I cannot ever thank you enough for providing a means to teach Clara to read. She reads the newspaper and chapter books like Magic Treehouse and the 13-Story Treehouse and Nancy Clancy for fun. It is remarkable how you used the curriculum to make it all understandable to her. Clara wants to be a veterinarian so the accelerated curriculum will be absolutely fabulous for her, and I think that maybe I should combine SC 3 and SC 4 instead of doing MP 2 now that I hear this idea.

I think that in your situation, I would consider SC3 Bible + Bible writing with SC3 Enrichment (no writing book) + Traditional Spelling 1 (SC4). The SC3 Enrichment "read alouds" could be used as the literature this year. You and Clara would team read the books (I bought two sets so we each had one). They are quite challenging! There are a few "picture" books sprinkled throughout, but these provided much relief from the harder "Childhood of x famous person". In the 1st semester those longer books are scheduled over 2 weeks. In the 2nd, in only 1 week. We could never finish them in less than 3. (We set a timer and just read together for 20 min. You might be able to do 30?)

Now, where is she at in cursive? Does she need NAC1, or NAC2? (Not addressing math in this post since I know you are debating that one)

The recitations from SC3 would likely be appropriate. She might be able to move to SC5/6 but you should wait until you see how this year goes before determining that path. I like the idea of the 5/6 in a year, but I suspect we might be more like 18 months (with my daughter). Again, I won't know until we get into it, but I don't want to set us up for failure thinking we can do it in 1 year, when really she might need the full 2!

We tried MP2 for about 3 weeks. We quickly came back to SC3 and "just" finished it, as written. (We did SC3 1st semester then I thought, oh, we have got this and moved over to MP2.......) Additionally we tried to do the Bible and History writing. I was focusing on checking boxes and not the quality of work. I wish we would have only done 1 and done it well! (she did ok, but it could have been better)

Good luck!
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

Quote Originally Posted by howiecram View Post
    I think that in your situation, I would consider SC3 Bible + Bible writing with SC3 Enrichment (no writing book) + Traditional Spelling 1 (SC4). The SC3 Enrichment "read alouds" could be used as the literature this year. You and Clara would team read the books (I bought two sets so we each had one). They are quite challenging! There are a few "picture" books sprinkled throughout, but these provided much relief from the harder "Childhood of x famous person". In the 1st semester those longer books are scheduled over 2 weeks. In the 2nd, in only 1 week. We could never finish them in less than 3. (We set a timer and just read together for 20 min. You might be able to do 30?)

Now, where is she at in cursive? Does she need NAC1, or NAC2? (Not addressing math in this post since I know you are debating that one)

The recitations from SC3 would likely be appropriate. She might be able to move to SC5/6 but you should wait until you see how this year goes before determining that path. I like the idea of the 5/6 in a year, but I suspect we might be more like 18 months (with my daughter). Again, I won't know until we get into it, but I don't want to set us up for failure thinking we can do it in 1 year, when really she might need the full 2!

We tried MP2 for about 3 weeks. We quickly came back to SC3 and "just" finished it, as written. (We did SC3 1st semester then I thought, oh, we have got this and moved over to MP2.......) Additionally we tried to do the Bible and History writing. I was focusing on checking boxes and not the quality of work. I wish we would have only done 1 and done it well! (she did ok, but it could have been better)

Good luck!
    18 months may be more accurate for us, too. Did you like Traditional Spelling better than Spelling Workout? It would probably make sense to get Traditional Spelling and just continue with it. I would guess that I will need the SC 4 manual to do Traditional Spelling because I am guessing that it has ideas on how to make it better for special needs kids.

Yes, we will definitely do the Bible Edition writing. It does not look like there is another writing book in SC 4, so that should work well. I suppose I could skip the More StoryTime Treasures and just do Prairie School plus the 3 literature books for SC4. Do you think that is a bad choice? You have already done More StoryTime, so I think that you would have good advice.

I am not sure that I want to do all of the Read-Alouds, though, because it sounds like she could do the Read-Alouds for SC 3 as the extended literature package for SC 5-6. Maybe I could do the SC 3 Enrichment along with the Mammals curriculum? We already have the Mammals things. If I got the SC 4 curriculum manual I think that it would tell me how to teach it differently from the regular manual that we currently own. Or I could keep mammals for whenever SC does insects. I refused to do insects with Stella either. Yuck!

Clara has already read The Trojan Horse from SC 4 by herself. I could probably hand her the Myths books to do as independent reading. She loves myths, and we have already read so many myth books! She actually has already heard D'Aulaire's Greek Myths from when Stella did it, so that part of SC 5/6 should almost be review for her.

Cursive is going at our own pace. I am not really worried about it. Her cursive is actually better than her printing. I still make Stella do cursive a couple of times a week (I like the Seton handwriting books with all the Catholic artwork for her since she is well past the end of the MP cursive).

The big question would be with Latin. I am not sure that I want to throw Clara into Latin when she is just grasping English well enough to write and spell a bit.

I was looking forward to just checking boxes, but with a different math, and a different spelling (which we really have to have), I do not know that I can just check boxes anyway. I will heed your advice about not doing regular MP 2, though, for sure. You would definitely know best on that one!
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Hi, JeJe. You could omit More Storytime, but if you want SC 3 Enrichment, you will want those American history readers. Everything is linked together for art, music, science, geography, culture, and history. This would make it far easier on you and give Clara more reading practice.

If you do not intend to teach from SC 3 Enrichment, you could teach from Mammals as you suggest. The SC 4 Manual would be helpful for scheduling each day within the lesson, but we do not add extensive helps for either Traditional Spelling or Mammals. Our adjustment is largely in the pacing and timing. TS, especially, has everything you need to be multisensory and incremental inside the TS Teacher Manual. We wait until SC 4 for TS 1, while MP teaches it in MP 1. TS is a thorough word study program as well as a spelling program.

As for Latin, it is very simple in SC 4. She might enjoy it! She will learn English grammar suitable to her age, roots of words, and only 5 Latin vocabulary words each week, but we introduce it gently in the second half of SC 3 just for the reasons you mention.

My recommendation:
    Teach SC 3 as written this year, minus More Storytime, and teach from SC Writing Book, Bible edition. In SC 3 you will review phonics and spelling first semester and introduce Prima Latina second semester largely as an oral class. Then in SC 4 she will study Prima as written but with additional games to help. You could accelerate the pace of SC 3 to allow you to move to SC 4.

Trying to combine SC 3 & 4 might give you & Clara more headaches than you save. You might consider accelerating the pace of SC 3 & 4 but teach both in order and as written to accomplish the same goals in 18 months without missing out on skill acquisition and good comprehension in all areas of her education. Just a suggestion --
    Last edited by cherylswope; 08-27-2018 at 08:36 AM.

How does SC 5-6 differ from the regular MP 3 core? I see that the science has been swapped out, but we're doing Mammals this year with great success so I think we'd be ready for Astronomy next year. We're using SC 4 this year except for spelling. This looks like it might be a good time to switch over to the regular cores if we're going to based on the booklist.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolc View Post
    How does SC 5-6 differ from the regular MP 3 core? I see that the science has been swapped out, but we're doing Mammals this year with great success so I think we'd be ready for Astronomy next year. We're using SC 4 this year except for spelling. This looks like it might be a good time to switch over to the regular cores if we're going to based on the booklist.
    Good question. Briefly, here you go....

In a nutshell, there are five major differences:

1) Writing and Spelling - Writing is both greatly minimized AND targeted. Along with EGR I and Core Skills: Language Arts 3, we target writing through the extensive yet simplified spelling lessons in TS II and the literature-correlating Intro to Composition.
    2) Content - Some of the content is intentionally different, such as adding the practice of thankfulness (gratitude) and including a broader science course.
    3) Multisensory - We add non-writing games and activities for practice and review.
    4) Pacing - The pacing is slowed to allow for more practice, more review, and more multisensory teaching strategies along the way.
    5) Oral teaching - Because many of our SC students have low stamina, yet we do not want to keep them from studying great things, we teach several courses orally.

The specifics for those who want to know....

Similarities:
    - MP Third Lit, D'Aulaires' Greek Myths, Christian Studies I, English Grammar Recitation I (However, note that ALL of these are taught without the written portions. We use visuals, such as the Timeline Program, maps, and art, but we do not have daily written lessons in these areas.)
    - States & Capitals - We teach these as written, maps and all, because our SC students have been well-prepared for this by SC 3 and 4.

Differences:
    - Much of the above is taught orally. This allows our SC students to study and review the more challenging content but without the extensive writing requirements of MP Third. We will offer an "Additional Writing Practice Set" with Student Guides for all subjects for those who prefer to have them.
    - Our writing consists only of these: Latin, Arithmetic, Poetry, Core Skills: Language Arts 3, States & Capitals, and Spelling. For most of our SC students, this will be plenty!

More Differences:
    Latin -- Latina Christiana is taught with full writing expected but all at half-pace. We will cover 1/2 LC in 5 & 6, 1/2 LC in 7 & 8. To help with memory, we add non-writing practice, games, and time for both initial and cumulative review. This is more in keeping with what we did in my home and it worked well for all of us.
    Greek Myths -- We do not expect knowledge of all Greek names, places, and myths. We teach the myths, but our accumulating recitation is of the 12 major gods, goddesses, and their symbols. We believe this will serve our SC students well, although more advanced students may use the flash cards to master much more as time permits.
    Science -- As you noted, science is substituted. We wait until 7 & 8 to cover Astronomy after students have a good exposure to Greek Myths, terms, and names. Astronomy will help to review Greek Myths. Our SC 5 & 6 Science includes experiments and activities to help teach basic knowledge (scientia) about the world that our students may not "pick up" otherwise.
    Writing -- We do not use ATFF; rather, we use MP's new Intro to Composition to coordinate with the literature selections. This assists comprehension of the literature and teaches outlining with content from their lit selections.
    Music -- We will use the playlist & book only in 5 & 6, adding the CD with more complex musical theory in 7 & 8 after they have a good background knowledge, history, and familiarity with the selections.
    Art -- We use Creating Art to allow for students' own artwork to coordinate with their classical and literature studies.
    Arithmetic -- We add non-writing games, a Demo Clock, and other visual aids to the lessons to assist mastery and memory.
    Spelling -- MP has moved to SWO by MP Third, but we are working through Traditional Spelling to teach and review phonics, word patterns, prefixes & suffixes, and masterfully created word studies.
    American History -- We do not include this because we covered American history in SC 3; however, we offer the SC American history read-aloud set as our Extended Literature for anyone who missed it or who wants to review. (We recommend the accompanying SC Enrichment Guide for anyone who has time to add the accompanying discussion questions, vocabulary, and related enrichment topics.)
    Grammar -- We complete the wonderful exercises in EGR I, but we work them orally or on the board.
    Overall pacing -- We are taking two years to move through all of MP Third. We do offer a One-Year Accelerated Pace for those who prefer the adaptations and different teaching approach but who do not need the heavier Christian & Classical Studies content, including Latin as mentioned above.

Please pardon the lack of good formatting here! For now this is just an answer to help explain that although the book lists are similar, the differences might be sufficient to help with your decision.

I do agree that if you have an SC student who is a strong speller, competent and eager writer, and capable reader, MP Third can be an excellent time to transition over! If we can help further, let us know. If you decide to transition, please stay in touch and let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by cherylswope; 10-23-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Good question. Briefly, here you go....

In a nutshell, there are five major differences:

1) Writing and Spelling - Writing is both greatly minimized AND targeted. Along with EGR I and Core Skills: Language Arts 3, we target writing through the extensive yet simplified spelling lessons in TS II and the literature-correlating Intro to Composition.
    2) Content - Some of the content is intentionally different, such as adding the practice of thankfulness (gratitude) and including a broader science course.
    3) Multisensory - We add non-writing games and activities for practice and review.
    4) Pacing - The pacing is slowed to allow for more practice, more review, and more multisensory teaching strategies along the way.
    5) Oral teaching - Because many of our SC students have low stamina, yet we do not want to keep them from studying great things, we teach several courses orally.

The specifics for those who want to know....

Similarities:
    - MP Third Lit, D'Aulaires' Greek Myths, Christian Studies I, English Grammar Recitation I (However, note that ALL of these are taught without the written portions. We use visuals, such as the Timeline Program, maps, and art, but we do not have daily written lessons in these areas.)
    - States & Capitals - We teach these as written, maps and all, because our SC students have been well-prepared for this by SC 3 and 4.

Differences:
    - Much of the above is taught orally. This allows our SC students to study and review the more challenging content but without the extensive writing requirements of MP Third. We will offer an "Additional Writing Practice Set" with Student Guides for all subjects for those who prefer to have them.
    - Our writing consists only of these: Latin, Arithmetic, Poetry, Core Skills: Language Arts 3, States & Capitals, and Spelling. For most of our SC students, this will be plenty!

More Differences:
    Latin -- Latina Christiana is taught with full writing expected but all at half-pace. We will cover 1/2 LC in 5 & 6, 1/2 LC in 7 & 8. To help with memory, we add non-writing practice, games, and time for both initial and cumulative review. This is more in keeping with what we did in my home and it worked well for all of us.
    Greek Myths -- We do not expect knowledge of all Greek names, places, and myths. We teach the myths, but our accumulating recitation is of the 12 major gods, goddesses, and their symbols. We believe this will serve our SC students well, although more advanced students may use the flash cards to master much more as time permits.
    Science -- As you noted, science is substituted. We wait until 7 & 8 to cover Astronomy after students have a good exposure to Greek Myths, terms, and names. Astronomy will help to review Greek Myths. Our SC 5 & 6 Science includes experiments and activities to help teach basic knowledge (scientia) about the world that our students may not "pick up" otherwise.
    Writing -- We do not use ATFF; rather, we use MP's new Intro to Composition to coordinate with the literature selections. This assists comprehension of the literature and teaches outlining with content from their lit selections.
    Music -- We will use the playlist & book only in 5 & 6, adding the CD with more complex musical theory in 7 & 8 after they have a good background knowledge, history, and familiarity with the selections.
    Art -- We use Creating Art to allow for students' own artwork to coordinate with their classical and literature studies.
    Arithmetic -- We add non-writing games, a Demo Clock, and other visual aids to the lessons to assist mastery and memory.
    Spelling -- MP has moved to SWO by MP Third, but we are working through Traditional Spelling to teach and review phonics, word patterns, prefixes & suffixes, and masterfully created word studies.
    American History -- We do not include this because we covered American history in SC 3; however, we offer the SC American history read-aloud set as our Extended Literature for anyone who missed it or who wants to review. (We recommend the accompanying SC Enrichment Guide for anyone who has time to add the accompanying discussion questions, vocabulary, and related enrichment topics.)
    Grammar -- We complete the wonderful exercises in EGR I, but we work them orally or on the board.
    Overall pacing -- We are taking two years to move through all of MP Third. We do offer a One-Year Accelerated Pace for those who prefer the adaptations and different teaching approach but who do not need the heavier Christian & Classical Studies content, including Latin as mentioned above.

Please pardon the lack of good formatting here! For now this is just an answer to help explain that although the book lists are similar, the differences might be sufficient to help with your decision.

I do agree that if you have an SC student who is a strong speller, competent and eager writer, and capable reader, MP Third can be an excellent time to transition over! If we can help further, let us know. If you decide to transition, please stay in touch and let us know how it goes.
    Great! Thank you, Cheryl! We may go ahead and take the leap, keeping in mind that I will need to continue to teach orally and reduce the writing a bit.