Thread: Online Foundations of composition taken with chreia/maxim or other online comp?

Default Online Foundations of composition taken with chreia/maxim or other online comp?

Has anyone ever taken the foundations of composition along with another online classical composition class like chreia/maxim? Assuming the grammar prerequisites can be met, I wanted to know if the workload is too heavy for both simultaneously. I know this depends on each child individually and what other courses are being taken. My daughter is in 8th grade and has completed the IEW B intensive course and fable/narrative composition. Also, has anyone done the chreia/maxim/confirmation/refutation combo that can comment on its workload? Thank you!

Default Re: Online Foundations of composition taken with chreia/maxim or other online comp?

I don't know anything about the foundations course, but I believe the difference between the Chreia only course and the combined Chreia/RefCon course is that the latter will move at a quicker pace with a paper due every week, whereas the former will have a paper due every other week. Hopefully Mr. Piland will chime in with a more definitive answer.
    2018-2019:
    DD 14 | 9th | Foerster Alg II, MPOA (Biology, Novel, Henle II, AP US, Composition), HSC (Didache Intro)
    DS 12 | 6M | Singapore, AAS, MPOA (Composition)
    DD 10 | 5A | Singapore, AAS, MPOA (Composition), Delectare

Default Re: Online Foundations of composition taken with chreia/maxim or other online comp?

Quote Originally Posted by bp1 View Post
    Has anyone ever taken the foundations of composition along with another online classical composition class like chreia/maxim? Assuming the grammar prerequisites can be met, I wanted to know if the workload is too heavy for both simultaneously. I know this depends on each child individually and what other courses are being taken. My daughter is in 8th grade and has completed the IEW B intensive course and fable/narrative composition. Also, has anyone done the chreia/maxim/confirmation/refutation combo that can comment on its workload? Thank you!
    My understanding is that foundations is a modified IEW with the level C materials. The combined Cheria/rec con is quite a bit of work. They review fable and narrative (maybe 2 lessons each - I donít remember exactly) then move into new material. They will cover both levels by the end of the year, but I always felt that she knew exactly what was expected as they started the paper during class time. My daughter took it a couple of years ago and my son is enrolled for fall. It will take a bigger chunk of time than the core plans allot to writing, but my daughter really liked the pace. It remains to be seen how well my son responds to the jump start to his system. He has been a bit lazy with respect to writing for mom. Grammar is incorporated in the class. I picked the combo class to get through the levels more quickly and because of cost/scheduling.
    Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
    DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
    DS 10 - 5M
    DS 5 - K with AAR3

Hello!

It is not typical for students to take two writing classes at the same time. For most students this would be too burdensome.

Thank you!

Scott Piland
    Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy

Thank you so much for responding to my post. Can you please tell me what the daily time and homework looked like? What was done together versus alone? As we get to the higher levels of composition, I wonder about the advantage of an expert teacher but then again I see that the composition videos are a great resource too. Obviously you have found that online class to be very helpful as you enrolled your next child to now take it. Can anyone also comment what other online classes were worth your investment?
    Last edited by bp1; 09-01-2018 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bp1 View Post
    Thank you so much for responding to my post. Can you please tell me what the daily time and homework looked like? What was done together versus alone? As we get to the higher levels of composition, I wonder about the advantage of an expert teacher but then again I see that the composition videos are a great resource too. Obviously you have found that online class to be very helpful as you enrolled your next child to now take it. Can anyone also comment what other online classes were worth your investment?
    I think the compositions were started in class. I didnít watch the later levels, but her original teacher had kids writing and posting drafts in individual windows a paragraph at a time so the others could read and listen to the teacherís comments and suggestions. This helped them get started and ensured they understood what each paragraph was supposed to include.

If you can see signatures, many of us include the cores and online classes are children are involved in this school year. I started with writing and third form Latin and my oldest added traditional logic 2 second semester last year and literature and science this year. She likes being at home for school, but high school can get hard to teach when there are other younger ones at home - I also have a 7th grader, a 5th grader, and a kindergartner this school year. Plus it is hard to be an enthusiastic expert in every subject. We still do math at home because we all like doing that year round.
    Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
    DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
    DS 10 - 5M
    DS 5 - K with AAR3