Thread: Classroom ideas

Default Classroom ideas

Hello Directors!
    Could you share your ideas for setting up Cottage School classrooms?
    -ideas for non-permanent classrooms (that need set up and taken down each week)?
    -things that are necessary and nice to have on the walls (or on hand) for each primary grade classroom?
    (If Michelle T. is able to chime in, that would be great, too!)
    Thank you ahead of time!
    -Laura
    Mom to DS1 (11, 6th), DS2 (9, 4th), DS3 (6, 2nd), and DD (3, JrK).

Highlands Latin Phoenix Cottage School

www.highlandslatinphoenix.org

Default Re: Classroom ideas

Classroom set up for non-permanent primary levels can be a lot of work each week. Essentials for your Recitation and Phonics you will need a manuscript alphabet line and a set of the cursive too if in first or second though for those the single wall chart will suffice.

There are visual aids in the back of the FSR Teacher include the short and long vowel charts, b-e-d (aid for b/d confusion), proper pencil grip, page position for both left and right. These can be colored and mounted on a piece of cardstock then set in the chalk tray of a board during school, but they are extremely helpful.

You will want a number line to 100.

Map of continents and map of just U.S. States.

A half size spiral chart with the memory verses/poetry from Copybook, full size spiral chart with the optional lessons from FSR (K-only).

Small Pocket charts for 1st - one to hold lit guide words and one to hold spelling words
    Small Pocket charts for 2nd - same ones for first plus one for Latin words

A place for art piece and to display the Read Aloud.

The last thing to consider would be a calendar/weather area. Something that shows the days of the week, months of the year and some type of graph for weather. This could be mounted on the back side of a whiteboard tripod. Thatís how Iíve seen calendar time done for classes that pack away each day.

In the primary grades these visuals are the basic ones I would be sure to have.
    Blessings,
    Michelle T

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle T View Post
    Classroom set up for non-permanent primary levels can be a lot of work each week. Essentials for your Recitation and Phonics you will need a manuscript alphabet line and a set of the cursive too if in first or second though for those the single wall chart will suffice.

There are visual aids in the back of the FSR Teacher include the short and long vowel charts, b-e-d (aid for b/d confusion), proper pencil grip, page position for both left and right. These can be colored and mounted on a piece of cardstock then set in the chalk tray of a board during school, but they are extremely helpful.

A half size spiral chart with the memory verses/poetry from Copybook, full size spiral chart with the optional lessons from FSR (K-only).

Small Pocket charts for 1st - one to hold lit guide words and one to hold spelling words

The last thing to consider would be a calendar/weather area. Something that shows the days of the week, months of the year and some type of graph for weather. This could be mounted on the back side of a whiteboard tripod. Thatís how Iíve seen calendar time done for classes that pack away each day.

Blessings,
    Michelle T
    Would you count all of these as necessary if only meeting once each week? We meet every Monday in the large meeting room of a library and will have 19 children this year (three grades in one room plus preschoolers -- one group on each side of the room). This will be our first year having a 2nd grade class (4 students) so I'm still trying to visualize how everything should look/work as we do the Monday lessons in the CM.
    Jennifer

2017-2018
    DS-13 & DS-14 (mix of 6M & 8M)
    DS-11 (5M)
    DS-9 (SC2)
    DD-7 (MP1)
    DD-5 (SC1)
    DD-3 (Preschool)

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Algebra I, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

Thank you, Michelle! This list is gold.

Blessings,
    Michelle T

Unhappy Re: Classroom ideas

I think visuals are important. However, for one day a week you wonít have to do calendar activities, but if you do, calendar time can be done with a regular paper calendar.

They make desk top sizes of alphabet and number lines. The FSR visuals are the size of a piece of paper. If you are meeting in a library once a week, you really have more constraints than most. All those visuals mentioned are important but it wonít be as necessary for you to display these things, though you will need them to show/refer to when teaching that one day, but it will be very important for the place those students study the other weekdays to have them.

The pocket charts mentioned in the previous post would be better displayed in the room/area used the rest of the week for school at their home.

Of course I didnít mention the Flashcards in my previous post, they are small but needed for lessons. A whiteboard is critical.

I really only listed the items I felt were bare bones necessary. For a one room public location maybe having smaller desk size versions ?

Blessings,
    Michelle T

Michelle,
    I'm writing out all of the spelling, Lit, and Latin words on word strip cards for grades 1 & 2, and I just realized I might be writing out the wrong Lit words...
    At HLS, do teachers write out the Pronounce & Spell words, or the Vocabulary words? Or both?
    These are for the pocket charts.
    Thank you!
    -Laura

Blessings,
    Michelle T

The literature words on sentence strips for the charts to have on display should be the Pronounce & Spell or Literature Guide Words. Keep these up all week! The additional words should be written on the board and gone over as well, but you can decide which, if any, of those need display and continued review.

Blessings,
    Michelle T

Got it. Thank you!
    I wish I could keep things up all week... the amount of effort I'm putting into our primary classrooms alone is making me want to become a FT school... to get more traction out of all of my visuals! For now, we'll just try and make the most of them on Mondays...

The literature words on sentence strips for the charts to have on display should be the Pronounce & Spell or Literature Guide Words. Keep these up all week! The additional words should be written on the board and gone over as well, but you can decide which, if any, of those need display and continued review.

Blessings,
    Michelle T

In primary grades there is quite a bit of prep work that needs to be done the initial year. I do empathize! Next year will begin with less prep and more confidence! If I lived near you Iíd volunteer to help make all those beginning of school props. It was one of my favorite things to do!

Blessings,
    Michelle T

YES!!! Do you have any parents with spectacular handwriting? Maybe have a prep party on Friday night with a few helpers and get this hammered out so they are not a weekly task?

Are you teaching these levels or is someone else? Could they do the prep on materials?
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2018-2019 ∑ 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
    Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
    DS ∑ MPOA Henle 2, 9A -- DD ∑ 7A -- DD ∑ 4A -- DS ∑ 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
    www.nashvillelatinschool.com