Thread: Even More Placement Help

Default Even More Placement Help

So Stella's MP package arrived today. That is wonderful. I did not have Prairie School for Clara so it came with Stella's package. Clara just picked it up and read the whole darn thing. She made up a couple of words like "sod" because she has not seen those words. I really just want to be able to start planning school. I do not think that she should be able to read the book at the end of Simply Classical 3 with just a few mistakes before she even starts the program. She also picked up Billy and Blaze and read it without issue to prove to Stella that she can read. I do not know if I should move Clara to SC4. I am really tired of trying to figure this out. Stella is thrilled with her MP6 curriculum. I just wish that I could figure out where to place Clara to make her just as happy. It is so delightful when your kid sees all the bird science books and gets so excited. It is so wonderful when she discovers the literature she will be reading (plus the Shakespeare I added), and says that she wants to read all of the read-alouds, too, since she knows I will not have time to do those with her. I am feeling that the chances to figure out what is up with Clara are never-ending and always changing. I do not know if it will ever be so happy like Stella's book box(es) day.
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Default Re: Even More Placement Help

The big question here is Clara's writing ability. It is good that the reading is doable. I think her struggle is working through those lit guides with you. I wouldn't panic yet. Spend the weekend looking through the lit guides. Read the questions. Look at the vocabulary work. I think a bigger goal than being able to do the reading is doing the guides; there's so much more there than just reading comprehension regurgitation.

Remember, it is better to quicken the pace than outright skip ahead. If she can go through the reading in SC3 at a quicker pace while completing the guides with few modifications, you can move on to the first book of the next level before the end of the year.

She is a challenging child to start with. Not every school subject needs to be a challenge too. I think it is better that she develops a love of reading than to boost the challenge and make it drudgery for both of you.
    Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core, DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core, DD 5- Simply Classical C

I agree with the above excellent advice. I haven't done those books with my special needs child yet, but I did those with his older sister several years ago in the regular program. She too could easily read those books. While they are reading practice, it's not the same as when you are teaching reading. You are transitioning from teaching reading to teaching literature. I too see her being able to read the books easily as a bonus, allowing her to have fun reading and have the literature guide as the challenge. I hope that makes sense. I mean, my high school student can easily read her literature books too, LOL.
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
    ds 22, graduated
    dd 14, 9th Grade
    dd 11, 6th Grade
    ds 9, 4nd Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
    I too see her being able to read the books easily as a bonus, allowing her to have fun reading and have the literature guide as the challenge. I hope that makes sense. I mean, my high school student can easily read her literature books too, LOL.
    What a great perspective for those of us making this transition from "teaching reading to teaching literature". LOVE it!
    Jennifer

2017-2018
    DS-13 & DS-14 (mix of 6M & 8M)
    DS-11 (5M)
    DS-9 (SC2)
    DD-7 (MP1)
    DD-5 (SC1)
    DD-3 (Preschool)

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Algebra I, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

JeJe,
    Forgive me because, at this point, I've lost track of what you are specifically going to be doing with your younger daughter this coming year. SC3? I haven't been able to follow all of the details so I do have some gaps in my understanding of some of the kiddos here on the SN Forum.

But I just wanted to share that, 2 years ago I attended my first SG and was also new to MP. I had spent years mucking around and piece-mealing everything for my younger special needs son. Christine and I were just reminiscing at SG this week about that summer and how much she helped me figure out my son's placement and, oddly enough, how it might have seemed strange that I chose to put my 11 year old into MP1. (Only SC2 was out at the time and he was beyond some of the SC2 lessons.) Anyway, his spelling and reading levels were actually quite beyond the level of MP1. This is a pattern that continues now. However, his comprehension is a challenge so this is a good fit. I LOVE the fact that the assigned books for the lit guides aren't a challenge to read and that we are free to really discuss with an eye to greater comprehension. I chose that MP1 level for him because I just didn't want to cover up and ignore any gaps he had at the time. So I played it safe and cannot tell you enough how much of a good decision it was. He has LOVED his math, his Prima Latina and everything else included in MP1 and MP2 (which you'll be getting for your daughter in SC3 and SC4.) Not only this, but an added bonus in having him work within his "sweet spot level" as I like to call it (Cheryl has a wonderful presentation on this very idea) is that we've had the time to make extra copies and to complete things that I really want mastered well....things like cursive practice pages, math fact practice pages, etc.

Gosh I just want to give you a big hug in person and assure you that you and she will be blessed! The bottom line, as already expressed, it's much, much better for you to quicken the pace over material that's easily being mastered than to go back and re-do what you chose to skip over.

SusanP in VA

(I thought of something else, thus the edit)

P.S. Two years ago I couldn't wrap my mind around the idea that my son would be able to do the content of MP3/MP4 one day. Yet, here I am just home from Sodalitas after placing an order for Third Accelerated. (There are some logistical and practical reasons for that I won't go into right now.) Suffice it to say, the past 2 years of MP1 and MP2 really did wonders for my special needs son. I'm thrilled. Yeah, kinda sad he's 13 and will be doing 3rd. But I got off that grade level train a long time ago. I've got a long term vision here and it has nothing to do with ages and grade levels.
    Last edited by SPearson; 07-12-2018 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SPearson View Post
    JeJe,
    Gosh I just want to give you a big hug in person and assure you that you and she will be blessed!

P.S. Two years ago I couldn't wrap my mind around the idea that my son would be able to do the content of MP3/MP4 one day. Yet, here I am just home from Sodalitas after placing an order for Third Accelerated.

I got off that grade level train a long time ago. I've got a long term vision here and it has nothing to do with ages and grade levels. SusanP in VA.
    Amen SusanP! I'm right with you on your 3A choice for this next school year. It's a challenge to find that perfect placement...instead I'm aiming for "good enough" and "we all survive to see June next year" ha!
    Last edited by Colomama; 07-12-2018 at 04:15 PM.
    Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core, DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core, DD 5- Simply Classical C