Thread: Please Help with Rod and Staff Math! :)

Default Please Help with Rod and Staff Math! :)

(I had a post all typed out but it was somehow deleted when I tried to publish it. I shall try again, this time with the short version. Ha.)

Hello again, New Friends. As I mentioned in my other threads, I am new to most things MP this year. I can hardly believe it, but I am switching to Rod and Staff Math.

Quick background: For 6+ years, I used Singapore Math in our homeschool. In about 3rd grade, I realized that my #2 child didn't retain much and was generally lost. After much research, we switched to Math Mammoth. It has been a so-so fit for this child and her sisters.

When we switched to MM, I moved my kiddos back a 1/2 grade level to fill in gaps. Also, in the last couple of years, I had debilitating morning sickness, a resulting new sweet one to love on, and a whole lot of very hard life amongst all of that joy. Needless to say, I wasn't as consistent with math as I should have been. As a result, my girls are below grade level.

The girls have no disabilities or challenges with math, their delay has simply been my lack of consistency and exposure for them.

So for this school year, I ordered 5th grade math for my 6th grader, 3rd grade math for my 4th grader, and 1st grade math for my 2nd grader. The 6th grader is solid on math facts, but the other two aren't. I'm so excited about the oral review and speed drills they'll work on this year. We will do those exactly as written.

Here is my dilemma: I'd like to move all three girls along in math this year. I would like for them to be at grade level in the next 18-24 months. How can I do that? I need very practical ideas, as it relates to R&S specifically. I'd love to skip ahead on the sections they already understand, but I do believe in the process of review and mastery that R&S provides. (We've done R&S English forever, so I'm very familiar with their beautiful drill and repetition).

What would be your suggestion in moving them along towards grade level? We are willing to work hard to get them there, I'm just having a hard time coming up with a practical, day-to-day plan of what I should do.

Combine lessons? Skip lessons that they truly have mastered? I'm open to all suggestions.

---------------------

I completely understand that we are homeschoolers and we aren't bound by grade levels. I fully agree with and embrace that. However, I'd like to have a plan and a goal to work towards getting us where we would like to be in math. Thank you in advance for any suggestions and wisdom!

Default Re: Please Help with Rod and Staff Math! :)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaHill View Post
    (I had a post all typed out but it was somehow deleted when I tried to publish it. I shall try again, this time with the short version. Ha.)

Hello again, New Friends. As I mentioned in my other threads, I am new to most things MP this year. I can hardly believe it, but I am switching to Rod and Staff Math.

Quick background: For 6+ years, I used Singapore Math in our homeschool. In about 3rd grade, I realized that my #2 child didn't retain much and was generally lost. After much research, we switched to Math Mammoth. It has been a so-so fit for this child and her sisters.

When we switched to MM, I moved my kiddos back a 1/2 grade level to fill in gaps. Also, in the last couple of years, I had debilitating morning sickness, a resulting new sweet one to love on, and a whole lot of very hard life amongst all of that joy. Needless to say, I wasn't as consistent with math as I should have been. As a result, my girls are below grade level.

The girls have no disabilities or challenges with math, their delay has simply been my lack of consistency and exposure for them.

So for this school year, I ordered 5th grade math for my 6th grader, 3rd grade math for my 4th grader, and 1st grade math for my 2nd grader. The 6th grader is solid on math facts, but the other two aren't. I'm so excited about the oral review and speed drills they'll work on this year. We will do those exactly as written.

Here is my dilemma: I'd like to move all three girls along in math this year. I would like for them to be at grade level in the next 18-24 months. How can I do that? I need very practical ideas, as it relates to R&S specifically. I'd love to skip ahead on the sections they already understand, but I do believe in the process of review and mastery that R&S provides. (We've done R&S English forever, so I'm very familiar with their beautiful drill and repetition).

What would be your suggestion in moving them along towards grade level? We are willing to work hard to get them there, I'm just having a hard time coming up with a practical, day-to-day plan of what I should do.

Combine lessons? Skip lessons that they truly have mastered? I'm open to all suggestions.

---------------------

I completely understand that we are homeschoolers and we aren't bound by grade levels. I fully agree with and embrace that. However, I'd like to have a plan and a goal to work towards getting us where we would like to be in math. Thank you in advance for any suggestions and wisdom!

The 1st grade math most lessons are double, triple, etc. (so fact family 2 goes on many lessons. I would keep an eye on the right side pages (time,mo eye etc, but you may find do every other lesson that grade may work? The first 15 lessons alone are only counting to 15. I think you could feel good about skipping that whole thing. Also, as the levels go up the first 40ish lessons are review, in each grade. You may find you could go to lesson 41 each grade level? Then in the summer just do math 3 or 4 days a week and I think you will “catch” up?
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

I did something similar when we switched to R&S. We initially began a grade level down in order to solidify facts and then accelerated the pace to catch up. There are many lessons that are almost purely review in the beginning and end of each book. Many of these can be compiled together and done in just one day. For much of the book, I taught two lessons a day and assigned just half of the written work for each lesson (just odds, for example). There is so much drill and review built in that this is still a great way to make sure you're hitting everything necessary.

One big thing to keep in mind is that there will most likely be some whole chapters where you won't want to speed the pace at all. Of course this differs with children, but mine have benefited from taking our time on fractions. Just be on the lookout for any signs of frustration and be ready to slow down. I think it's probably preferable to plan on "catching up" at some point in the future, but not set a strict time table on it right now. First just make sure they are getting the basics down. You don't want to put too much pressure on them or make them feel like "behind."

So, to sum it up: consolidate the review lessons at the beginning and end of each book, double up on simple lessons where you can, and then take your time when needed. If you're also willing to do some in the summer, you'll probably catch up pretty quickly. I love the way Rod & Staff math builds on itself so gently and sets kids up for success! It is such a great program!
    2018/2019
    Dd 12: MP 7A and First Form Greek
    Ds 10: MP 5M
    Ds 5: MP K

Quote Originally Posted by howiecram View Post
    The 1st grade math most lessons are double, triple, etc. (so fact family 2 goes on many lessons. I would keep an eye on the right side pages (time,mo eye etc, but you may find do every other lesson that grade may work? The first 15 lessons alone are only counting to 15. I think you could feel good about skipping that whole thing. Also, as the levels go up the first 40ish lessons are review, in each grade. You may find you could go to lesson 41 each grade level? Then in the summer just do math 3 or 4 days a week and I think you will “catch” up?
    I didn't realize the new teaching started at Lesson 41 each grade. Good to know! Thank you!
    We're new to MP this year! :)
    Mama to 5 Sweet Ones:
    8th grade DS: HSed through 6th grade; at a University-Model School this year
    6th grade DD: Mix of 5M/6M Core
    4th grade DD: Mostly 4NU Core
    2nd Grade DD: MP 1st Grade Core
    19-month old Pudding Pie

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I did something similar when we switched to R&S. We initially began a grade level down in order to solidify facts and then accelerated the pace to catch up. There are many lessons that are almost purely review in the beginning and end of each book. Many of these can be compiled together and done in just one day. For much of the book, I taught two lessons a day and assigned just half of the written work for each lesson (just odds, for example). There is so much drill and review built in that this is still a great way to make sure you're hitting everything necessary.

One big thing to keep in mind is that there will most likely be some whole chapters where you won't want to speed the pace at all. Of course this differs with children, but mine have benefited from taking our time on fractions. Just be on the lookout for any signs of frustration and be ready to slow down. I think it's probably preferable to plan on "catching up" at some point in the future, but not set a strict time table on it right now. First just make sure they are getting the basics down. You don't want to put too much pressure on them or make them feel like "behind."

So, to sum it up: consolidate the review lessons at the beginning and end of each book, double up on simple lessons where you can, and then take your time when needed. If you're also willing to do some in the summer, you'll probably catch up pretty quickly. I love the way Rod & Staff math builds on itself so gently and sets kids up for success! It is such a great program!
    You've given me excellent advice - thank you! I've worked through the lesson plans for Grade 3 tonight so I can see what can be doubled up on and where we will probably need to slow down. You're right in that there are many lessons where we can do two lessons in one day. I like your idea of only assigning odds/evens for each of those lessons.

When you taught two lessons in a day, did you also do the drill from both of those lessons?

I appreciate your encouragement that R&S is a great program. I have been so hesitant and resistant to change. That extra encouragement is helpful to hear. (Because why in the world would you not teach the "why" behind math?? <-- This was my thinking, but I understand the reasoning now. ).

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Lauren
    Mama to 5 Sweet Ones:
    19-month old Pudding Pie

Lauren,
    When teaching two lessons, I would pick and choose from the drills so that we only worked on what was needed. Often both lessons will review the same or similar material anyway, so it's not like you're skipping anything.
    2018/2019
    Dd 12: MP 7A and First Form Greek
    Ds 10: MP 5M
    Ds 5: MP K

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Lauren,
    When teaching two lessons, I would pick and choose from the drills so that we only worked on what was needed. Often both lessons will review the same or similar material anyway, so it's not like you're skipping anything.
    Thank you!
    Mama to 5 Sweet Ones:
    19-month old Pudding Pie