Thread: First Form Latin class time

Default First Form Latin class time

Hi, I know you are all at a conference right now but I'm trying to figure out how much time is needed to do FFL. I really did not expect to have 8 students this year maybe even 1 or 2 more. We had 1 1/2 hours allotted but do I need 2 hours to do this well for a one day a week school? And I have 1 1/2 hour for FMR which I think is fine.

Thanks
    Courtney
    Mom to 5 boys-14,13,10,8,5 and the girls- 3 and 1

Default Re: First Form Latin class time

The age ranges are 4th-7th and half have never used MP.
    Courtney

Hi, Courtney.

Sorry for the delay! We're all catching up! It takes around 30-45 mins. to present the vocabulary and new grammar form and teach them so that students can begin memorizing them. Then, you want to do the first page in the workbook because that is the grammar you have just taught. After that first day of teaching, the rest of the week is dedicated to mastery of new vocab and grammar form and completing the workbook exercises. This should take students an hour or so daily and then they take the quiz on Fri. At our cottage school, we have 2 hour Latin classes once a week where the material is taught, the first page of workbook completed, and one or two of each translation exercise is completed so that when students are working at home, they have a model to refer to.

Is this the kind of information you are needing?

Tanya

Courtney,
    Sorry I never saw your message! You can do it in 1.5 hours but you'll need to make sure you don't spend too long on the vocab. I tend to do that! Maybe pick the hardest translation and go through together. If it's up to you, I'd grab fifteen extra minutes on that class. If it's not up to you, 1.5 hours will do. I would expect the younger students to be more likely not to understand the grammar concepts, especially if they haven't done Latina. What's their background with Latin?
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2018-2019 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
    Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
    DS MPOA Henle 2, 9A -- DD 7A -- DD 4A -- DS 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
    www.nashvillelatinschool.com

Thanks for the responses. Yes this is the info I'm looking for.

It 's not up to me but I can talk with the director again. To start this year the hours are 9am-12pm. Arrival time 8:45. So I have prayer and pledge (in my classroom) at 9 then Latin. Snack break 10:30. FMR 10:45. Dismissal 12pm. I feel like I'm short changed on both.

I have 3 fifth graders- one is mine- who use MP and should be fine. One 4th grader I have no idea the skill level, doesn't do MP. And a 6th and 7th grader who should be old enough, they don't do MP either.
    Courtney

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Yes this is the info I'm looking for.

It 's not up to me but I can talk with the director again. To start this year the hours are 9am-12pm. Arrival time 8:45. So I have prayer and pledge (in my classroom) at 9 then Latin. Snack break 10:30. FMR 10:45. Dismissal 12pm. I feel like I'm short changed on both.

I have 3 fifth graders- one is mine- who use MP and should be fine. One 4th grader I have no idea the skill level, doesn't do MP. And a 6th and 7th grader who should be old enough, they don't do MP either.
    Courtney,

In the past, we've had to do Latin and Classical Studies for 45-60 minutes each due to time constraints. This year we're extending Latin to an hour and fifteen and Classical Studies will be an hour. This was for 4 students (5 this upcoming year). I think you'll be able to do well with your available time.

One thing you might want to do, since some of the kids don't do MP, is to take a few minutes in the first class of the year and go over how things flow in the Student Guides. Explain how they get us ready for reading, help us think about what we've read, etc. For the kids without an MP background, they may look at the guides as "workbooks" and not be so keen on them.
    Jennifer

2017-2018
    DS-13 & DS-14 (mix of 6M & 8M)
    DS-11 (5M)
    DS-9 (SC2)
    DD-7 (MP1)
    DD-5 (SC1)
    DD-3 (Preschool)

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Algebra I, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

I'm going to suggest moving that fourth grader out of First Form, if possible. If you can't then I would prime that student and parent that they'll likely need to repeat the following year. Without having MP prep in Latin, I think First Form is going to be difficult to master this year. We don't let any fourth graders in unless they've had and done well in LC. Again, might not be up to you...

Also, pledge and prayer should be quick. I'd grab those extra minutes and dive right into Latin.
    Last edited by pickandgrin; 07-19-2018 at 09:28 AM.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

Thanks Jen, good idea. I originally thought I would have 8 but looks like I have 6.

Jessica, I mentioned that. We are only offering Prima, we have no one in LC and no teacher to teach it anyway. The 4th grader is an only child so perhaps that will help.If he can't handle it he would have to move down to Prima I guess. I'm only doing the Ignatius prayer and pledge so that should be quick.
    Courtney

Jessica,

I have your FFL handouts. What do you do with quizzes? Are you spending time to go over them in class? Are they just for your reference?
    Courtney

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Jessica,

I have your FFL handouts. What do you do with quizzes? Are you spending time to go over them in class? Are they just for your reference?
    The students take them at home on Fridays proctored by parents. Parents mark (not correct!!) the quiz and the student corrects it in another color so I can see the error. They bring their marked quizzes to class and set them out on the table right before it begins so I can take a quick walk around and see where there are trouble spots. That helps me tailor the class time that day more effectively.

Tests are also taken at home. HLN doesn't provide grades so I don't keep tabs on actual scores. However, I do make a note on my attendance sheet if someone is having difficulty so I can note patterns over time. Students who do not do well in the class must repeat it the following year. No mastery? No point in moving on. It just makes for misery all around.

Our parents have the TMs and Quiz/Test/Workbook Key (which they MUST secure so students can't cheat) and thus are able to give help during the week. I don't do any grading, though I have considered grading their final exam. That's still a pending decision at this point.

Hope this helps!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P