Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Year end Algebra I grade rubric?

Default Re: Year end Algebra I grade rubric?

Hi Dorinda,

The single best advice I can give to you is to call the Admissions department of a school your daughter might be interested in. I did this when my oldest was in 9th. It was a good thing I did! The "rules" had changed since when I had applied for college. The Admissions officers are happy to speak with parents of prospective students.

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2mthj View Post
    My daughter did the Novare "Accelerated Studied in Physics and Chemistry" year. I was wondering what to call it. She is good at math and science, but despite a couple of generations of engineers in my family the current generation so far has one. I am not sure she will jump on the engineering bandwagon. Was she a 9th grader? Then call it Accelerated Physical Science which is what it was!

I do have a couple of questions based on your previous post. I know what I do won't matter for the smaller "backup" state school around here, so it is more a question for competitive schools

1. What to do if two online providers use different grading scales - MPOA uses 93-100 A and this year added 90-92 A-, while her Greek provider uses 90-100 A. Tricky. Ask the Admissions counselor when you call. Usually schools provide their grading scale on any directly submitted transcripts. You might have to attach a bunch of documents to her homeschool transcript with that information. FYI, Admissions departments usually "de-honors" all GPAs to a set standard so as to put everyone on the same GPA playing field.

2. You mentioned "English 9 is a thing" - do you recommend lumping writing and literature into the headings English 9, 10, etc and describing content elsewhere? Yep. Attaching a detailed list is a great idea, but you'll want to transcript as English 9.

3. I know that any college level transcripts (dual enrollment) must be submitted to colleges - does he same thing apply to high school level classes either taken for enrichment or substantially modified or added to by me? What about homeschool music classes? Good Q for Admissions.

4. Music and physical education - in Michigan PS requirements aren't binding on homeschoolers, but PS students must complete 1/2 credit of health and 1/2 credit of physical Ed and 1/2 credit of performing arts. Does it look bad to list choir every year for a grade or should I just include it as an activity? List separately to show her interests and passions (key on transcripts!). Make sure she *does* get some PE and Health credits, though. That is standard high school stuff. You want her to stand out for the right things, not the strange things, right?

5. AP vs dual credit at CC - do colleges have a preference? Ask! As a homeschooler, Admin officers will recognize that dual credit was easier for a homeschooler to obtain. AP can be tough to find for many homeschoolers.

Thanks for the advice to us newbies!

Happy to help. Not to give you kittens, but the college applications are the *easiest* part of getting a kid through college.....

<wink>

Jen
    DS, 25 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), following in the family tradition of working for the US Navy

DS, 23 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, working on Adulting

DD, 20 yrs, Junior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 10 yrs, taking the summer off, then 6M plus Bookshark's Later American history pack

All homeschooled.

Melanie,
    Yes, I'm finding the conventional homeschool/college prep wisdom doesn't always work for kids who are taking an MP trajectory of classes. Parents who are educating classically aren't generally on a conventional-wisdom-path anyway, so that probably doesn't surprise you. Around here there's a trend toward pushing dual enrollment in eleventh and twelfth (ETA, Jen just posted and points out an important reason for this). There's state money that every student qualifies for which many homeschoolers use as dual enrolment versus saving it for the first years of community college. It's lottery funded. Many homeschoolers around here also end up in away high school, a considerable number of them for non-academic reasons like sports, drama, music, etc. The homeschool numbers definitely decrease.

I'm newly realizing high school is the place where your ideals get challenged, not so much by other people as within yourself. The rubber hits the road. Credits become a necessary consideration. Big tests (that are the gate keepers of money, sigh) loom on the horizon. Even if you've been "off the grid" academically, you have to dip your toe back in if you want to play ball.

Cindy Davis & Judy Huston from HLS Indy have remained voices of calm and confident reason for me over the last few summers. Mrs. Davis does not make the same recommendations I get locally. Plus, every student's path is individual for them. That level of customization is difficult to glean from general advice "out there" or "online."

This makes me think we need a high school transcripts, credits, scholarships, and testing "the HLS/MP way" session next year at Sodalitas. The coffee will need to be brewed strong and it'll need to be more than one hour long. Ha!

I'm sick and rambling a bit. I hope this is readable!

ETA: Jen, I cannot wait to meet you this summer. I wish I'd kept a running list of things you've helped me sort out in my mind.
    Last edited by pickandgrin; 06-19-2018 at 11:14 AM.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

Fall 2018 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
    Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
    DS MPOA Henle 2, 9A
    DD MPOA 4th Form, 7A
    DD 4A
    DS 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
    www.nashvillelatinschool.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jen (formerly) in Japan View Post
    Here's the brutal truth: Apologia Physical is a "high school credit" class only if taken in the 9th-12th grade. That is why your local 9th graders are planning to claim credit. If taken in the 8th, it's considered "honors 8th" and not transcripted at all. This is similar to how MP tells users to think of the Forms: IF the student's grade level is 9th -12th, then one high school credit can be granted because of the work involved in the course.* But, MP will not tell a 4th, 5th, etc student to claim high school credit for the Forms. No, not even 8th graders claim high school credit for, say, Fourth Form.
    Jen
    That makes sense. I think I get it now. (Poor daughter. Three more years of science ahead.) Thank you.

And now I'm nervous about accepting more advice from the local moms who all said, "Oh, you should totally give her high school credit for that class."

Jessica, can we have a transcript breakout in 2019? Yes, state laws vary, but stuff like this is helpful no matter where you live. I think Jen should present it.
    Melanie
    2018-2019 ~ 5th MP year; 10th year homeschooling
    DD14: mostly 9A, French
    DD12: mostly 7M
    DS9: mostly 4A

Melanie,
    Are there other umbrellas you could investigate that would give you more help like categorizing classes by credits, helping you count through what's needed year by year, creating the transcript itself, act/sat codes for pulling test scores together, etc.?
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

DS MPOA Henle 2, 9A
    DD MPOA 4th Form, 7A
    DD 4A
    DS 1st

Quote Originally Posted by pickandgrin View Post
    Melanie,
    Around here there's a trend toward pushing dual enrollment in eleventh and twelfth (ETA, Jen just posted and points out an important reason for this). There's state money that every student qualifies for which many homeschoolers use as dual enrolment versus saving it for the first years of community college.

This makes me think we need a high school transcripts, credits, scholarships, and testing "the HLS/MP way" session next year at Sodalitas. The coffee will need to be brewed strong and it'll need to be more than one hour long. Ha!
    We were posting at the same time. I'm glad you're thinking about that breakout, too! Sign me up!

Around here people are putting even younger kids in community college for dual enrollment. Dual enrollment for 11th and 12th is basically assumed and many take classes younger than that. I have multiple problems with this, but everyone around me seems to be on board. The local hs conference even had a college staff person come explain the program they've developed for EIGHTH graders. To take college classes. They bus them in, no lie. I was completely shocked and horrified.
    Melanie

Quote Originally Posted by pickandgrin View Post
    Melanie,
    Are there other umbrellas you could investigate that would give you more help like categorizing classes by credits, helping you count through what's needed year by year, creating the transcript itself, act/sat codes for pulling test scores together, etc.?
    Not that I know of. So, really gonna need that class next summer...
    Melanie

Quote Originally Posted by melaneesa View Post
    That makes sense. I think I get it now. (Poor daughter. Three more years of science ahead.) Thank you. You're welcome. I worried that I sounded too strident, but I just wanted you to understand. I'm a chemist, so I can come across as "straighforward", ha, ha.

And now I'm nervous about accepting more advice from the local moms who all said, "Oh, you should totally give her high school credit for that class." The only way you could do this is to imply she was a 9th grader when she took it. I'll leave that sitting there.

Jessica, can we have a transcript breakout in 2019? Yes, state laws vary, but stuff like this is helpful no matter where you live. I think Jen should present it. Ha. I just happen to know a lot about certain topics, and this was one of them (science transcripting). Oh, and I have sent 3 kids to college, although there are several moms around here who've done the same, but thank you. You made my day.

Jen, who is obviously done with school for the year if I have this much time to type on the forums!
    DS, 25 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), following in the family tradition of working for the US Navy

DD, 20 yrs, Junior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 10 yrs, taking the summer off, then 6M plus Bookshark's Later American history pack

All homeschooled.

We were posting at the same time. I'm glad you're thinking about that breakout, too! Sign me up!

Around here people are putting even younger kids in community college for dual enrollment. Dual enrollment for 11th and 12th is basically assumed and many take classes younger than that. I have multiple problems with this, but everyone around me seems to be on board. The local hs conference even had a college staff person come explain the program they've developed for EIGHTH graders. To take college classes. They bus them in, no lie. I was completely shocked and horrified.

Of course I could be wrong, but I think these might be the "stem-y" kids who are dreaming of MIT, CalTech, Stanford, etc. In order to compete there, a kid needs 6-8 math credits and 6-8 science credits, so the earlier the start the better. My oldest took almost nothing but AP classes in 11th and 12 because he started in 9th with mostly 11/12th grade classes.

As an aside, he could not have used MPOA because it is not STEM-y enough for a student like him.

Not to freak you out, but he was in a community college "special program" in the 5th grade. Hey, it was Chicagoland and those type of resources were available to us. And, Mel, I know where you are located. You, like me, are surrounded by highly educated "pushing" types located on and near DC. They will create these crazy competitive programs just because they can. You know what I mean.

Jen

All homeschooled.

I sort of hope Cindy will reply on this topic.
    Hello everyone,

Just so you all know, Cindy is not ignoring you! She's still on vacation, and I'm sure she'll be happy to share her thoughts and experiences when she's back.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Bless. That lady deserves a delightful vacation. We will wait patiently and talk amongst ourselves.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

DS MPOA Henle 2, 9A
    DD MPOA 4th Form, 7A
    DD 4A
    DS 1st

Of course I could be wrong, but I think these might be the "stem-y" kids who are dreaming of MIT, CalTech, Stanford, etc.
    You, like me, are surrounded by highly educated "pushing" types located on and near DC. They will create these crazy competitive programs just because they can. You know what I mean.
    Actually, most of the kids around here (in my church/co-op) go to community college and then transfer to Univ of Maryland. It seems to be the normal path. A few go to Christian colleges. I think moms are overwhelmed by high school requirements, feel too insecure about teaching high school, and see dual enrollment as an answer. The kid gets a "legit" class and the mom doesn't have to teach it.

Jen, I hope we get to talk at SG. My second child is more science-y and has a vague notion of med school. (She's only 12.) I should probably know some stuff before she gets into high school. Like whether or not I should put her in any more Apologia co-op classes...
    Melanie

Actually, most of the kids around here (in my church/co-op) go to community college and then transfer to Univ of Maryland. It seems to be the normal path. A few go to Christian colleges. I think moms are overwhelmed by high school requirements, feel too insecure about teaching high school, and see dual enrollment as an answer. The kid gets a "legit" class and the mom doesn't have to teach it.

I get that. I'm teaching advanced chemistry next SY at a homeschool cottage school. The moms about swoon when they talk to me.

Jen, I hope we get to talk at SG. My second child is more science-y and has a vague notion of med school. (She's only 12.) I should probably know some stuff before she gets into high school. Like whether or not I should put her in any more Apologia co-op classes...

I look forward to it. As you can see, I do have *plenty* of thoughts on the subject.

Jen

All homeschooled.

Of course I could be wrong, but I think these might be the "stem-y" kids who are dreaming of MIT, CalTech, Stanford, etc. In order to compete there, a kid needs 6-8 math credits and 6-8 science credits, so the earlier the start the better. My oldest took almost nothing but AP classes in 11th and 12 because he started in 9th with mostly 11/12th grade classes.

As an aside, he could not have used MPOA because it is not STEM-y enough for a student like him.

Jen
    We are not as STEM-y as your son, but we still couldn't do the diploma program for that reason.

Still, did they tell you that he needed 6-8 math and 6-8 science? I can come up with 5 standard math sequence, what else are those kids taking?
    Dorinda

DD 14 - 9M with Geometry, MPOA(Henle 2, Comp3), Lukeion Greek2
    DS 12 - core 7M with Henle 1
    DS 8 - core 3A/4A
    DS 4 - loving life with AAR1

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2mthj View Post
    We are not as STEM-y as your son, but we still couldn't do the diploma program for that reason.

I understand. Classical education is fantastic, but to get into MIT, ya gotta zig-zag onto the current STEM path. Period. The Liberal Arts kids can go to "the other Cambridge school" which specializes in that area. [Harvard]

Still, did they tell you that he needed 6-8 math and 6-8 science? I can come up with 5 standard math sequence, what else are those kids taking?

Dorinda, you really will have to call the Admissions office. That said, they will tell you that you should take the "hardest course offerings available to the student", show the student's unique personality in essays and activities, and have pretty much perfect college entrance scores. I feel like each MIT admit is unique, which is what the Admin officers are looking for in the 1100 person matriculation pool. Each kid admitted really is "special", far beyond beyond "smart". Hope that makes sense.

As to the actual numbers of credits for math and science, to really position the student toward MIT, Cal Tech, etc, the student should double up and over elect in a school year. One year my oldest took AP Bio and physics in the same year. Another year he took AP Stats and calculus. Nothing conflicted, content wise, in those areas.

As a homeschooler, there is flexibility. However, your children will compete with students whose parents are paying for "professional preparation" from places like Thomas Jefferson high school (here in DC), Montgomery Blair, etc. For MIT, at least, the student needs to STAND OUT in some way. Own it, girlfriend!

Jen, who is always conflicted when the MIT convo comes up. But, hey, I EARNED these wrinkles and gray hairs honestly!!

All homeschooled.

Joining in here with just another thing to keep in mind as you make decisions for high schoolers...

Is that even when you consider "dual enrollment" options, things to keep in mind are that:

1) these classes are for your high schooler, but will follow him/her into college and become part of the college GPA. Some kids will do fine with that, but some kids will not be ready for that. If your high schooler becomes shocked at the workload expected and struggles at all, even in the beginning, and gets a bad grade or two, that can linger a long time for him/her and possibly even affect college acceptances.

2) these classes put your high schooler in very close contact with college-age kids...which may or may not be a good thing. It really depends on the place where the classes are offered, and also, how much that will affect your particular child. Some kids it will be like water off a duck's back, but other kids may not handle the exposure well.

Just some more things to keep in mind.

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2018-2019
    DD 17 - 12th (mixture)
    DS 14 - 10th (mixture)
    DD 12 - 8th
    DD 10 - 6th
    DD 8 - 4th
    DD 6 - 1st
    DD 4 - mix of 1st & jrK
    +DS, 2-21-16+