Plan to put Upper Grade books on Audio?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pickandgrin
    • Jun 2012

Re: Plan to put Upper Grade books on Audio?

I know Dianna has a uber-microphone. Maybe she can FedEx it around the country to us all. Haha!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

'23-'24 • 14th year HSing • 12th year MP
    DS Hillsdale '26, English Major/Classics Minor
    DD 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE, Hillsdale '28
    DD 9th • HLN, Latin online, & Home
    DS 6th • HLN & Home
    Me • Lukeion Latin 3 online

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

"Most people overestimate what they can accomplish in one year and underestimate what they can accomplish in five." -Mrs. Cheryl Lowe

Comment

• bean
      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by apregont
      Love this idea. My brother would love to read. My daughter is delaying US History until I can help her more. Still working on The Story of Christianity.
      I'm not sure how Daisy works, but Concise History appears to be there. https://archive.org/details/concisehistoryof00mori

At least the first half. The Golden Children's Bible has an edition there as well. I really am not sure if that is helpful to anyone, though. I don't know what criteria is to qualify for Daisy.
      Last edited by bean; 07-27-2018, 05:37 AM.
      Bean. Long time MP user. Retired homeschool mom and university faculty/ librarian.

DD (18) Graduated!
      Nano Engineering

"School Administrator" to niece (10): MP 4

Comment

• jen1134
        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by bean
        I'm not sure how Daisy works, but Concise History appears to be there. https://archive.org/details/concisehistoryof00mori

At least the first half. The Golden Children's Bible has an edition there as well. I really am not sure if that is helpful to anyone, though. I don't know what criteria is to qualify for Daisy.

I like the MP-based idea. Not all kids that need this would qualify for Daisy or Learning Ally; they require an official diagnosis which many families aren't able to get.
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2023-2024
        DS20: MP grad; auto mechanic & business owner
        DS19: MP grad; college sophomore​
        DS17: Agricultural internship, various math and history resources
        DS15 & DD13: mix of MP, online providers using MP materials, Friendly Biology (DS only), and Denison Pre-Algebra
        DD11: MP/SC, and online providers using MP materials
        DD8: mix of MP 1-3

Comment

• Mom2mthj
          • Apr 2014

A MP librivox of sorts as mentioned earlier is only going to work for better readings or new readings of books in the public domain.

I think what is being requested is the audio recording of upper level textbooks like Concise History that are not in the public domain and are not currently available on Learning Ally. I don’t know the process, but it appears that either publishing houses are willing to work with services like Learning ally for those with a verified disability or there must be some exception in US copyright law that allows them to record and share. Getting the books onto Learning Ally sounds like work, but an effort that stands a chance. Getting books with an active copyright read for general distribution does not sound feasible.
          Dorinda

Plans for 2023-2024
          17th year homeschooling, 14th year with Memoria Press
          DD College Junior
          DS Senior - Lukeion Greek, AP Calculus and Physics with me, MA Medieval History and Tolkien/Lewis
          DS Sophomore - Vita Beata Aeneid, MA Short Story
          DS 5th grade - 5A with Right Start G, AAS 6

Comment

• bean
            • Dec 2013

Dorinda is correct. Without publisher permission, recording and distributing pretty much anything published after 1928 would be in violation of copyright. Sometimes publishers do randomly have audio of textbooks. That's what I was looking for when I remembered the Daisy books.
            Bean. Long time MP user. Retired homeschool mom and university faculty/ librarian.

DD (18) Graduated!
            Nano Engineering

Comment

• jen1134
              • Jun 2015

Originally posted by bean
              Dorinda is correct. Without publisher permission, recording and distributing pretty much anything published after 1928 would be in violation of copyright. Sometimes publishers do randomly have audio of textbooks. That's what I was looking for when I remembered the Daisy books.
              I completely agree -- I was speaking of public domain and MP-owned works.

If those are hosted by MP, rather than Daisy or Learning Ally, then more kids will have access to them even if they don't have official diagnoses, whether due to finances, one parent not wanting evaluations, or any of the many other reasons there may be.

ETA: I know this wouldn't cover the "still in copyright" books but it would at least make MP-owned works available to those who need them as well as better quality versions of the public domain books.
              Last edited by jen1134; 07-27-2018, 11:17 AM.
              Jennifer
              Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2023-2024
              DS20: MP grad; auto mechanic & business owner
              DS19: MP grad; college sophomore​
              DS17: Agricultural internship, various math and history resources
              DS15 & DD13: mix of MP, online providers using MP materials, Friendly Biology (DS only), and Denison Pre-Algebra
              DD11: MP/SC, and online providers using MP materials
              DD8: mix of MP 1-3

Comment

• DiannaKennedy
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by pickandgrin
                I know Dianna has a uber-microphone. Maybe she can FedEx it around the country to us all. Haha!
                Dianna only has that crazy microphone because she had aspirations of being a podcast host. Then reality set in.

It actually was only around $45.

I'm investigating signing up to be a Learning Ally volunteer.

I think that's the only option for non MP books, with copyright and such.
                2023-24 Year 13 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 28 - college grad, bakery owner
                DD2 - 17 - SENIOR - HLCS Louisville, dual credit classes, theater, equestrian
                DS3 - 15 FRESHMAN - HLCS Louisville, soccer/tennis/aviation -dyslexia &dysgraphia
                DS4 - 15 - FRESHMAN -HLCS Louisville, soccer/tennis/aviation -auditory processing disorder
                DD5 - 11 - Mash up of SC levels and standard MP, HLCS Louisville - inattentive ADHD - equestrian & tumbling
                DS6 - 9- SC -- 2E cutie with dyslexia, dysgraphia &ADHD

Comment

• bean
                  • Dec 2013

Originally posted by jen1134
                  I completely agree -- I was speaking of public domain and MP-owned works.

If those are hosted by MP, rather than Daisy or Learning Ally, then more kids will have access to them even if they don't have official diagnoses, whether due to finances, one parent not wanting evaluations, or any of the many other reasons there may be.

ETA: I know this wouldn't cover the "still in copyright" books but it would at least make MP-owned works available to those who need them as well as better quality versions of the public domain books.
                  Since MP has rights to some and uses out-of-copyright for others, some books could potentially be recorded. Which don't already have audio available somewhere? These seem like good candidates for volunteer recordings and sharing.

Which MP books are not out-of-copyright that are not available anywhere in an audio version? (Audible, Libravox, Kindle text-to-read, etc).

DD (18) Graduated!
                  Nano Engineering

Comment

Working...