Thread: Holt Biology, streaming class, and planning

Default Holt Biology, streaming class, and planning

I am beginning to plan out our year in biology using the Holt Modern Biology book. I have purchased black line master worksheets for vocabulary, critical thinking, and labs. I plan to also use the streaming dvds MP has. Can someone who has used the streaming dvds tell me how they are formatted? Are the chapters broken down so there is a class to watch each day (like comp) or do you have to decide where each lesson will begin and end? I have become so dependent on MP for lesson plans to keep us going through the year. I know I have to figure out lesson plans this summer that coordinate with the streaming dvds or we wonít get biology finished in one year.
    Julie S.
    3rd year using MP, but 17th year homeschooling (2018-2019)
    DD 23 -a job, DS 21 - community college, DD 20 - married
    DS 17 - 12th grade -MPOA and a mix of MP materials,
    DD 16 - 11th grade -MPOA and a mix of MP materials,
    DD 14 - 10th grade a mix of MP materials,
    DS 13 - 8M core,
    DD 10 - 5M core,
    DS 8 - 3M core while moving quickly through 1st/2nd literature/spelling now that he has glasses and can actually see well enough to read
    DD 6 - 1st grade core

Default Re: Holt Biology, streaming class, and planning

I think there is only one mom here that has used the videos. They are very new. If I had to guess they are likely more of a weekly format than a daily format. Most of the MP videos were have used have been a weekly lesson, but that was also how the text was arranged. I believe lesson plans and a guide are in the works so hopefully someone from MP can give an update before you spend your summer writing your own.
    Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
    DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
    DS 10 - 5M
    DS 5 - K with AAR3

Good afternoon Julie,

My apologies for the delayed response. I was working to get some more information in order to better answer your post.

The videos are broken down by chapter and section, e.g. 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, etc.

We do plan to write lesson plans for Biology. Unfortunately, lesson plans are always the very last step, and we are still working with the instructor to finalize all the material for this course. Hopefully we'll have lesson plans for this fall, but I can't yet promise any release date.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Good afternoon Julie,

My apologies for the delayed response. I was working to get some more information in order to better answer your post.

We do plan to write lesson plans for Biology. Unfortunately, lesson plans are always the very last step, and we are still working with the instructor to finalize all the material for this course. Hopefully we'll have lesson plans for this fall, but I can't yet promise any release date.
    Michael,

Is there going to be a study guide or test book for biology? I don't need it this year as my daughter chose to take it with the MPOA in the fall, but I am curious for those trailing along behind.
    Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
    DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
    DS 10 - 5M
    DS 5 - K with AAR3

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Good afternoon Julie,

Thanks, Michael!

That information will help me a lot. I am hoping the tests/quizzes are ready by fall, but lesson plans will be great too! I am going to go ahead and at least start some plans now. I am debating purchasing the streaming course now to look at it, but know it sometimes (more like often) takes our family more than a traditional school year to complete a subject and I am not sure I want to start the streaming clock now.
    Julie S.
    3rd year using MP, but 17th year homeschooling (2018-2019)
    DD 23 -a job, DS 21 - community college, DD 20 - married
    DS 17 - 12th grade -MPOA and a mix of MP materials,
    DD 16 - 11th grade -MPOA and a mix of MP materials,
    DD 14 - 10th grade a mix of MP materials,
    DS 13 - 8M core,
    DD 10 - 5M core,
    DS 8 - 3M core while moving quickly through 1st/2nd literature/spelling now that he has glasses and can actually see well enough to read
    DD 6 - 1st grade core

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2mthj View Post
    Michael,

Is there going to be a study guide or test book for biology?
    The current plan is for both!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Hello,
    Is the teacherís edition of holt modern biology 2006 edition recommended or needed as well as the student text? This is sold on amazon I noticed, however I was curious if anyone has purchased and used this and could comment. Is is helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by Learningclassically View Post
    Hello,
    Is the teacherís edition of holt modern biology 2006 edition recommended or needed as well as the student text? This is sold on amazon I noticed, however I was curious if anyone has purchased and used this and could comment. Is is helpful?
    Hello,

The current plan is to publish our own study guide and quizzes with our own key. Between the guide and the videos, you shouldn't need the Teacher's Edition. We do not carry it, but hopefully a parent who's used it will post whether or not it is helpful even if unnecessary.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

How soon are you doing biology?
    Bean

DD- 9M with subs

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    How soon are you doing biology?
    The videos are already complete and available. The guide is in the final stages of being written and currently awaiting some more information from the author.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Quote Originally Posted by Learningclassically View Post
    Hello,
    I have a digital copy. I think it would be helpful if you need Biology before MP's materials are ready. Otherwise it's a pretty standard TE. The digital teacher disk has worksheets and tests.
    Bean

DD- 9M with subs

So if our students are doing Biology this year, will there be any other materials from MP other than the book and streaming?

What have other parents used for planning or quizzes/tests?

thanks!!

Hello.

Right now, there is only the book and streaming. But we are working on a study guide and quizzes/tests. Our biology teacher has given us the first trimester of the guide to format, and she thinks she can complete it by the end of the summer. We are working to get this ready for you as soon as possible, but we are dependent on the teacher to give us the material in a timely manner, so I can't make any promises. From our end, we are ready though!

Tanya

Ok great! thanks Tanya for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    Hello.

Right now, there is only the book and streaming. But we are working on a study guide and quizzes/tests. Our biology teacher has given us the first trimester of the guide to format, and she thinks she can complete it by the end of the summer. We are working to get this ready for you as soon as possible, but we are dependent on the teacher to give us the material in a timely manner, so I can't make any promises. From our end, we are ready though!

Tanya
    Hi Tanya

How will we know when anything is available? I did not purchase the books from MP.

Are you on our email list? We will send out an eblast when this is released. And feel free to check status around October. We should have a better idea by then how close we are to a release date.

Tanya

Are you on our email list? We will send out an eblast when this is released. And feel free to check status around October. We should have a better idea by then how close we are to a release date.

Tanya
    If it is like any other MP email then of course I'm subscribed.

Hello.

Tanya
    Good morning, Tanya,

Before I piece together and purchase worksheets, answer keys, labs, etc. on Amazon, is there any chance you would release the first trimester of the guide and tests before the rest of the guide is finished? We are starting next week. I'm spoiled by the ease of MP material!
    Katie

2018/2019 6th year homeschooling
    DS 14: 9 mix of MP and co-op
    DD 11: 6A
    DD 8: 2/3 with AAR & AAS
    Twin DD's 5: K with AAR

"God doesn't look at how much we do, but with how much love we do it" -St. Teresa of Calcutta

Hi, Katie.

Sorry for the delay. I was teaching Latin to teachers in Toledo yesterday!

I can see if the first trimester is ready to go, but it will be next week before I am back in my office. Do you want to email me, and I'll see what I can do? My email is tanya@memoriapress.com.

Thanks,

Tanya

Hi, Katie.

Sorry for the delay. I was teaching Latin to teachers in Toledo yesterday!

I can see if the first trimester is ready to go, but it will be next week before I am back in my office. Do you want to email me, and I'll see what I can do? My email is tanya@memoriapress.com.

Thanks,

Tanya
    You all are the best! Thanks
    Katie

2018/2019 6th year homeschooling
    DS 14: 9 mix of MP and co-op
    DD 11: 6A
    DD 8: 2/3 with AAR & AAS
    Twin DD's 5: K with AAR

"God doesn't look at how much we do, but with how much love we do it" -St. Teresa of Calcutta