Thread: Sodalitas Gathering/Teacher Training

Default Sodalitas Gathering/Teacher Training

Hello ladies!
    I can't believe how fast Cottage Schools are popping up--I am losing track! It's amazing to see the work go forward
    I'm wondering who will be attending SG/TT in July, and where you are from? It is so valuable to have a network of CS directors, and to be able to meet together in-person yearly.
    I am very much looking forward to meeting you all!
    -Laura Hall
    Highlands Latin Phoenix
    highlandslatinphoenix.org
    Mom to DS1 (11, 6th), DS2 (9, 4th), DS3 (6, 2nd), and DD (3, JrK).

Highlands Latin Phoenix Cottage School

www.highlandslatinphoenix.org

Default Re: Sodalitas Gathering/Teacher Training

Great idea, Laura. Angel and I from Nashville will be there for the entire week! We will be bringing 17+/- teachers from Wednesday through Friday; an advantage of being able to drive up in a few hours!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

Fall 2018 ∑ 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
    Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
    DS ∑ MPOA Henle 2, 9A
    DD ∑ MPOA 4th Form, 7A
    DD ∑ 4A
    DS ∑ 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
    www.nashvillelatinschool.com

Hi, Laura,
    I will be traveling in from Bentonville, and Lord willing, I will also be there all week. It is an exciting time, for sure!

I look forward to meeting you,
    Makayla
    2018-19:
    Daughter 5M
    Daughter 3A
    Son SC C

HighlandsLatin.org/Bentonville

I am going to the Sodalitas with a friend and staying through the Teacher Training with possibly two teachers. We are driving from Manassas, Va. I am a CS director and would love to meet others.

This will be my first time attending. What hotel would you recommend? On Wednesday and Thursday there may be 3 of us in a room. When do most people leave: Friday? or Saturday?

Maria

Quote Originally Posted by MariainVA View Post
    I am going to the Sodalitas with a friend and staying through the Teacher Training with possibly two teachers. We are driving from Manassas, Va. I am a CS director and would love to meet others.

This will be my first time attending. What hotel would you recommend? On Wednesday and Thursday there may be 3 of us in a room. When do most people leave: Friday? or Saturday?

Maria
    If it helps, we do have blocks reserved at two local hotels: https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...ab-information

Hopefully, past attendees will offer some additional recommendations.

HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Quote Originally Posted by MariainVA View Post

Maria
    Maria,
    Which CS do you run? I look forward to meeting you! I always stay over Friday night just to decompress and rest up before I drive home the next day. I come up on Sunday, so I need one night at the end before I reenter family life and its demands (groceries and dinners mostly, ha!). At five o'clock it clears out fast on Friday. If you stay, you can usually find others to share dinner with. Most will leave right after sessions on Friday to get home that night.

HTH!

ETA: If there are more than two of you, I'd price local AirBnB or VRBO options, too. Country Inn & Suites has been plenty nice the few times I've stayed there.
    Last edited by pickandgrin; 05-28-2018 at 10:49 PM.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

DS ∑ MPOA Henle 2, 9A
    DD ∑ MPOA 4th Form, 7A
    DD ∑ 4A
    DS ∑ 1st

Jessica,
    My friend Maria here in VA is the one who posted this. So I'm one of the people she's mentioning about SG and part of teacher training. I'll be the one teaching LC at this start-up CS. So I'm pretty sure I will be there through Wednesday for the LC morning and afternoon sessions. But my question for you is this: How important would it be to stick around for the 3rd grade teacher training? Probably not that necessary, right, if it's just for the benefit of my 1 son?
    Thanks!
    SusanP in VA

Susan,
    How exciting that you are teaching! This makes me happy for you and for Maria, that she has you. Teacher training--it really comes down to time and money. Yes, if you have the time and money it is absolutely worth it to stay. You will sit through all of the 3A subjects in two days and gain a much deeper appreciation for how it all fits together. Knowing you, I think you would drink this up. Yes, it is taught for classroom teachers but in my experience there is much that can be gleaned to improve your homeschool experience by listening. Especially regarding the expectations that the classroom teachers have, it's helpful to hear that first hand. We homeschoolers sometimes do more at home than they do in the classroom because we don't know what the actual expectations are. The only caveat is that we are not supposed to ask "home" questions in that setting. Another bonus is that staying those days will free up some of your Sodalitas time to investigate things other than the subjects you'll be teaching at home this fall. You get more variety because you are dedicating two full days to 3A on Thursday and Friday. Monday and Tuesday can be spent in areas that enrich you and get you ready. A final bonus to hanging around for the teacher training is the reception and talk Wednesday night as well as four plenaries over Thursday and Friday. These will have a school focus and for that reason have a different tone and perspective than SG. I personally love the mix.

If time and/or money is tight, you can assuredly get through next year without it.

I don't know how your CS is going to be set up next year, but if you can convince other families with kids in the appropriate age range (third, young fourth, or fourth new to classical ed) to do 3A you will be setting up a wonderful cohort of students to move together through grades in the future. 3A is an excellent place to start into full MP!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

DS ∑ MPOA Henle 2, 9A
    DD ∑ MPOA 4th Form, 7A
    DD ∑ 4A
    DS ∑ 1st

Quote Originally Posted by SPearson View Post
    Jessica,
    My friend Maria here in VA is the one who posted this. So I'm one of the people she's mentioning about SG and part of teacher training. I'll be the one teaching LC at this start-up CS. So I'm pretty sure I will be there through Wednesday for the LC morning and afternoon sessions. But my question for you is this: How important would it be to stick around for the 3rd grade teacher training? Probably not that necessary, right, if it's just for the benefit of my 1 son?
    Thanks!
    SusanP in VA
    Susan,

Do you have a hotel reservation? I was wondering if you wanted a roommate or an extra roommate. I will definitely be there through Wednesday and maybe for the whole week.
    Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
    DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
    DS 10 - 5M
    DS 5 - K with AAR3

Quote Originally Posted by pickandgrin View Post
    Maria,
    Which CS do you run? I look forward to meeting you! I always stay over Friday night just to decompress and rest up before I drive home the next day. I come up on Sunday, so I need one night at the end before I reenter family life and its demands (groceries and dinners mostly, ha!). At five o'clock it clears out fast on Friday. If you stay, you can usually find others to share dinner with. Most will leave right after sessions on Friday to get home that night.

HTH!

ETA: If there are more than two of you, I'd price local AirBnB or VRBO options, too. Country Inn & Suites has been plenty nice the few times I've stayed there.
    Thank you so much for the response. I apologize for the delay in getting back to your question. I am in Russia for a few weeks. We recently registered the St. Nicholas Cottage School in Manassas, va with CLSA and are just trying to get started. Iím very much looking forward to the week in Louisville and to meeting other parents and teachers. I have so much to learn. I will be leaving right at the end of the conference.

Maria Murray

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2mthj View Post
    Susan,

Do you have a hotel reservation? I was wondering if you wanted a roommate or an extra roommate. I will definitely be there through Wednesday and maybe for the whole week.
    Dorinda! How fun! Thanks for reaching out. My friend Maria (also involved in this dialogue) are driving out from VA on Sunday the 8th. She'll be at HLS longer than me. I will PM you with more details. So check your inbox, kay?

SusanP

Maria,

If you weren't in Russia, you could be at HEAV with us! We're meeting lots of MP friends here! See you in July though where all attenders are MP friends!

Tanya

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    Maria,

If you weren't in Russia, you could be at HEAV with us! We're meeting lots of MP friends here! See you in July though where all attenders are MP friends!

Tanya
    Hi Maria!

I just met Tanya, DeAnn and Ryan Weston yesterday at HEAV when I ordered three complete cores for new users. Iím obviously new to MP but have spent the past few weeks immersed in the forums, articles and videos to prepare me for my trip to the convention yesterday. The buzz about SG around here is contagious and the MP people I met yesterday encouraged me to reach out about a ride from VA to SG I live in Woodbridge. Is there any room in your car??

Hi, Diana.

It was great talking with you in our booth! We had a great time at HEAV and are headed back to our boring desks today. I love the energy at HEAV. You all have a great convention.

Good luck finding your ride for SG. We look forward to seeing you there! I did talk with a woman named Sabrina who was working the Veritas booth, and she also is considering coming. I told her to get on here if she decides to come. Hopefully she will hook up with you.

Tanya

Quote Originally Posted by Drosner View Post
    Hi Maria!

I just met Tanya, DeAnn and Ryan Weston yesterday at HEAV when I ordered three complete cores for new users. Iím obviously new to MP but have spent the past few weeks immersed in the forums, articles and videos to prepare me for my trip to the convention yesterday. The buzz about SG around here is contagious and the MP people I met yesterday encouraged me to reach out about a ride from VA to SG I live in Woodbridge. Is there any room in your car??
    Diana,
    Maria and I are driving from VA and I'm pretty sure it will be my car as I'm driving home from SG mid-week, whereas Maria will be staying through Friday. Maria will be back from Russia later this month and we'll be doing more specific planning. She is in Manassas and I'm in Warrenton. If you know how to use the messaging system here on the Forum, send Maria and me a private message with contact info. to coordinate!

Tanya,
    This was the first year I didn't make it to HEAV. I wanted (and tried) so badly to drive down since it's nearly my backyard. I would have been pouring over materials for our year next year if I had been able to make it. HEAV is near and dear to my heart, as it was there that Sarah essentially convinced me to make the switch to MP! Sabrina is a friend and I already sent her a text message to see if she's going and wants to carpool, as well.

SusanP in VA
    Last edited by SPearson; 06-10-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SPearson View Post
    Diana,
    Maria and I are driving from VA and I'm pretty sure it will be my car as I'm driving home from SG mid-week, whereas Maria will be staying through Friday. Maria will be back from Russia later this month and we'll be doing more specific planning. She is in Manassas and I'm in Warrenton. If you know how to use the messaging system here on the Forum, send Maria and me a private message with contact info. to coordinate!

SusanP in VA
    I will! I'm so excited!

Actually, it seems I don't have the proper permissions to access the private messaging system.

You need to enable it, most likely.
    Go to the Forum Actions menu item above and click "General Settings"

There is a section (the second one down?) about receiving Private Messaging. Make sure to turn it on and allow others to send you private messages.

Please let us know if this does the trick! When it is enabled you'll be able to click on someone's red type name in their title line of the message and "Private Message" should be an option.

ETA: Since you've only been on the boards for a few days it just might need to be toggled by someone at the Mother Ship. If so, they'll fix you up tomorrow morning!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

DS ∑ MPOA Henle 2, 9A
    DD ∑ MPOA 4th Form, 7A
    DD ∑ 4A
    DS ∑ 1st

That did the trick. Thank you!!!

I plan to be there all week. I tried to start a cottage school in the Baltimore area, but gave up when there didn't seem to be sufficient interest. However, we left the website up and the interest form responses are still trickling in, so I'm hopeful. We were able to form a class for Third Form Latin (of all things!) for this fall, but that's the only class happening as of now. I'm looking forward to talking with others who are starting (or have started) schools!
    Melanie
    2018-2019 ~ 5th MP year; 10th year homeschooling
    using most of 9th, 7th, and 4th grade cores