Thread: More Placement Advice

Default More Placement Advice

After reading the posts about early middle school literature I am starting to get worried that Stella (age 12 on July 25) has not read these books. Unlike the child of the OP in that discussion, she is not particularly sensitive to violence and/or inappropriate behavior. She actually enjoys discussing what people do wrong in any books where she does not agree with them. Anyway, coming from a Charlotte Mason style curriculum, the only MP literature books from grades 1-5 she has read are Farmer Boy, Charlotte's Web, and Heidi. I placed her in 6A for next year, so she will be reading Anne of Green Gables for the 4th time. Should I be putting her in a lower level to read some of the rest of this literature first? I have Dangerous Journey and bought the teacher and student guide to have her do this summer to get used to the MP literature guides, but now I am becoming more and more concerned that I have kept her from good literature. We already have all of the 6th grade MP versions of the books and the teacher and student manuals for the regular grade 6 curriculum. Should she be doing that instead?

Stella has only read small bits of Famous Men of Rome and Famous Men of the Middle Ages. Should she go back and do these instead of Famous Men of Greece? She has completed Greek Myths.

Stella has not done any of the Classical Composition Writing for MP yet.

Stella has not done any Latin other than a really basic program which does not teach anything other than little bits of vocabulary.

Stella has not done any MP geography.

Stella has done Christian Studies 1, and gotten quite a bit more Bible from her other coursework, so she would be fine in 6A Christian Studies (level 4).

Stella is going into 5th grade math, but she uses Math-U-See and understands it completely, so I have heard from other parents, including personal friends, that we can skim pre-Algebra over the summer after Zeta because she will already understand it.

Stella spells well. She also has completed a pretty difficult grammar program. I am planning to just use the Core Skills Language Arts books to reinforce what she has learned.

Stella is not doing MP science. I am very insistent on a lot of experiments, plus she will get to do it in a co-op, which she needs to see other kids. I am not willing to re-consider this choice, so science does not need to play into a discussion of where to place her.

Any help would be appreciated.
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Default Re: More Placement Advice

Anything you would like for her to read that she hasn't, I would put under free reads. Our free reads aren't all that free because my kids have to choose from a stack I give them, and they narrate after each chapter or two. Just a simple oral narration which often leads to a rabbit trail or fun discussion.

My favorite year is the medieval one, so I would do 6M rather than 6A. My rising 5th grader is doing 5A (same lit and history as 6M) in the fall. He's my 3rd kid to go through it in the 5th grade. Although we use lots of MP materials, we more closely follow LCC2 which lines up better with the accelerated track. I wouldn't get hung up on moderated or accelerated though at all.

We don't use Classical Composition, but I would start with Fable. If she catches on well, you could maybe move her along using the accelerated plans where Fable and Narrative are done in a year. We started it a couple of years ago and I just couldn't teach it. Now we use a combo of Rod and Staff English and Primary Language Lessons/Intermediate Language Lessons in the off years. For high school, I use Warriner's Grammar and Composition. It's what I used in high school honors English back in the dark ages and worked very well for me. I can easily teach it which is a big plus.

I would do First Form Latin. We use First Form and then go straight to Henle. I use First Form as a wake up call to adjust to the amount of work Henle is.

This will be our first year using MP geography too. I am starting my rising 5th grader on States and Capitals. If I started in 6th grade, I would be more inclined to skip S&C and go straight to Geography I. Then do Geography II in 7th and probably no formal geography in 8th.

For math, we use MCP 1994 edition for K-6th and then do Lial's Basic College Math for prealgebra. To be successful in algebra, you really need to have your math facts down cold (they should know their multiplication tables backwards and forwards) and know how work with fractions backwards and forwards. A good pre-algebra program is going to find any holes in your child's arithmetic skills. Last summer before my current 7th grader started pre-algebra I used fraction worksheets from www.math-drills.com to make sure he knew how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide fractions in his sleep. He has rarely missed a math problem in prealgebra this year either on a test or in his homework. It wasn't that many years ago that HLS didn't even do algebra 1 until 9th grade so there's really no need to rush it :-)

We do our own science too so I couldn't help you with that anyway lol

Kelly
    Last edited by generalsparky; 05-16-2018 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by generalsparky View Post

My favorite year is the medieval one, so I would do 6M rather than 6A. My rising 5th grader is doing 5A (same lit and history as 6M) in the fall. He's my 3rd kid to go through it in the 5th grade. Although we use lots of MP materials, we more closely follow LCC2 which lines up better with the accelerated track. I wouldn't get hung up on moderated or accelerated though at all.

This will be our first year using MP geography too. I am starting my rising 5th grader on States and Capitals. If I started in 6th grade, I would be more inclined to skip S&C and go straight to Geography I. Then do Geography II in 7th and probably no formal geography in 8th.

Kelly
    What is LCC2?

We did States and Capitals. I guess I should have mentioned that.

Stella is technically supposed to be going into 7th grade. This only matters in terms of when she graduates, and if she does Junior and Senior high school years at the school so she has some grades to show a college. She went to K-2 with the rising 7th graders.
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by jejegreer View Post
    What is LCC2?

We did States and Capitals. I guess I should have mentioned that.

Stella is technically supposed to be going into 7th grade. This only matters in terms of when she graduates, and if she does Junior and Senior high school years at the school so she has some grades to show a college. She went to K-2 with the rising 7th graders.
    Oh ok, you stated 6A which threw me off. Did you mean 7M then?

If she has already done states and capitals then I would do Geography I.

LCC2 is The Latin-Centered Curriculum, 2nd edition

Kelly

Hi JeJe,
    My oldest is the same age a yours. He started MP his fourth grade year and will be entering 7th next year. I want to encourage you not be disheartened and regularly “looking back” to what she hasn’t done. Instead, resolve to move ahead and make the most of the several school years she has left.

Latin and Composition placement are easy, you must begin at the beginning. First Form and Fable. Kelly is correct that there are plans for Fable and Narrative together in one year. You will need to call MP to order those. They could also help you determine if she is a good candidate for that pace.

Since she has done S&C, move to the next course in sequence. Geography 1.

Christian Studies 4 is good.

Classical Studies- It’s good that she has completed Greek Myths. In your situation, here is what I would do for FMOR and FMOMA. Actually, this is what my son is doing for FMOMA. Purchase the Texts and flashcards. Read the text, study the flashcards. This will give her familiarity and help lock in the important dates, people, etc. I would do this over summer. FMOG and Horatius are meaty and I wouldn’t add anything to Classical during the school year.

Literature- I like what Kelly said here too. Use the previous literature books for free reading. You may have noticed that many of the Literature selections line up with the time period for classical studies. For example, students read King Arthur and Robin Hood, etc while studying the Middle Ages. If you decide to read Classical texts over the summer, you could easily give her the Literature books for free reading alongside them.

Have you called MP? They are really helpful and great at placement, after all they wrote the curriculum. . I truly believe they enjoy speaking to all of us too!
    Joyfully, Courtney
    DS12 7th, DS11 6th, DS9 4th, DD7 2nd

Another idea for lit (if you do not wish to read Anne for a 4th time) would be to switch out Anne for Robin Hood or King Arthur. All three books are studied over 11-12 weeks, so either would be an easy substitution.
    Last edited by jenniferjb; 05-16-2018 at 04:12 PM.
    2018-2019:
    DD 14 | 9th | Foerster Alg II, MPOA (Biology, Novel, Henle II, AP US, Composition), HSC (Didache Intro)
    DS 12 | 6M | Singapore, AAS, MPOA (Composition)
    DD 10 | 5A | Singapore, AAS, MPOA (Composition), Delectare