Thread: The Odyssey

Default The Odyssey

Student Guide, page 15, #17.

It says, "What was going on in the house of Odysseys while Telemachus was away at Pylos and Lacedaemon?"

My daughter says that Telemachus was away at Pylos and Sparta. She can't find Lacedaemon mentioned in the book.

My daughter also wants to know what the Greek music at the beginning of each video is. She likes it and would like to purchase it.

ETA that we did some searching and found that Lacedaemon was the ancient name for Sparta. But, we cannot find any mention about that in the book or the study guide, so it's confusing. It would be nice if said something about this in the study guide or if it said Sparta in the question.
    Last edited by Cheryl in CA; 05-14-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
    ds 22, graduated
    dd 14, 9th Grade
    dd 11, 6th Grade
    ds 9, 4nd Grade

Default Re: The Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
    Student Guide, page 15, #17.

It says, "What was going on in the house of Odysseys while Telemachus was away at Pylos and Lacedaemon?"

My daughter says that Telemachus was away at Pylos and Sparta. She can't find Lacedaemon mentioned in the book.

My daughter also wants to know what the Greek music at the beginning of each video is. She likes it and would like to purchase it.
    Good afternoon Cheryl,

Lacedaemon is another name for Sparta, as noted in the "Character References in the Iliad" Appendix. However, since our translation uses Sparta, we may change the question for clarity.

The music was compiled by our film editor from various different clips. It's not something pre-existing that can be purchased. Sorry!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Good afternoon Cheryl,

Lacedaemon is another name for Sparta, as noted in the "Character References in the Iliad" Appendix. However, since our translation uses Sparta, we may change the question for clarity.

The music was compiled by our film editor from various different clips. It's not something pre-existing that can be purchased. Sorry!
    Thanks Michael! I finally found it in the appendix. I couldn't find it at first because I was looking for something specifically about Sparta, but it was about Menelaus. I agree, for clarity it should either be changed to Sparta in the question or mentioned more specifically that Lacedaemon is the ancient name of Sparta.

Are the clips from songs that can be purchased?
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
    ds 22, graduated
    dd 14, 9th Grade
    dd 11, 6th Grade
    ds 9, 4nd Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
    Thanks Michael! I finally found it in the appendix. I couldn't find it at first because I was looking for something specifically about Sparta, but it was about Menelaus. I agree, for clarity it should either be changed to Sparta in the question or mentioned more specifically that Lacedaemon is the ancient name of Sparta.

Are the clips from songs that can be purchased?
    Unfortunately not. However, the film editor suggested that you could Google "ancient Greek music" to find albums that are available for sale and would be in a similar style. HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Unfortunately not. However, the film editor suggested that you could Google "ancient Greek music" to find albums that are available for sale and would be in a similar style. HTH!
    Thank you! Please thank him/her for us :-)
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
    ds 22, graduated
    dd 14, 9th Grade
    dd 11, 6th Grade
    ds 9, 4nd Grade