Thread: Christian Studies with multiple cores

Default Christian Studies with multiple cores

How do you handle Christian Studies with multiple children?

Up to this point I have used the Simply Classical schedule for Bible reading and discussion for my two oldest. The youngest listens in, but has her own little book with SC-C.

Next year I will have a K, 2nd, and hybrid 3rd/SC4. I'm leaning towards trying to get the older into his own studies. But how would I manage 3 separate Bible readings? I don't think the oldest could independently read the Golden Children's Bible. We will read through the Story Bible from start to finish this year with SC3. Do you think the 2nd could handle Christian Studies in 3m? Or should the 2nd be paired with the Kindy for Bible. Or, should everyone be at their own level. Aarggh...
    Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
    DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
    DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Default Re: Christian Studies with multiple cores

Quote Originally Posted by Colomama View Post
    How do you handle Christian Studies with multiple children?

Up to this point I have used the Simply Classical schedule for Bible reading and discussion for my two oldest. The youngest listens in, but has her own little book with SC-C.

Next year I will have a K, 2nd, and hybrid 3rd/SC4. I'm leaning towards trying to get the older into his own studies. But how would I manage 3 separate Bible readings? I don't think the oldest could independently read the Golden Children's Bible. We will read through the Story Bible from start to finish this year with SC3. Do you think the 2nd could handle Christian Studies in 3m? Or should the 2nd be paired with the Kindy for Bible. Or, should everyone be at their own level. Aarggh...
    I asked the folks at MP about Christian Studies 1-3. Is level 3 harder than 1? ThEy said the levels do not ne essarily increase in difficulty. However, level 4 was different, and harder though. SC3 does read the entire Story Bible in the year. I plan to do Christian Studies 1 with all 3 kids 2019-2020 school year. Only the oldest will do the “workbook”. The following year is Christian Studies 2. The middle child, now a 3rd grader will also do the workbook. The third year, all 3 kids (youngest now a 3rd grader) will do Christian Studies 3. Fourth year, the youngest two will do Christian Studies 1, together. Oldest will move on. I plan to have everyone that is doing the workbook have their own Bible to read so we can read together.
    Last edited by howiecram; 04-16-2018 at 08:36 AM.
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

In your situation, I would have your third grader start CS I, and your younger two do a CS together. I keep my primary kids (K-2) together for those readings, and pull them apart for 3rd and up. We read it at the same time we read the read aloud books together.

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2018-2019
    DD 17 - 12th || DS 15 - 10th || DD 13 - 8th || DD 11 - 6th || DD 9 - 4th
    DD 6 - 1st || DD 4 - mix of 1st & JrK || +DS, 2-21-16+ || DS 7 months

Agreeing with Sarah.

You might want your oldest to begin a more meaningful study of scripture, but your youngers are still in the zone for light handling. Keeping them in the K-2 materials will allow for that.

One lesson I learned the hard way when I had my older three kids in my homeschool (5 years apart from oldest to youngest), is that there was no such thing as "listening in" for my youngest to actually engage or retain. Although she could sit there, and occasionally parrot back a few bits, she knew she wasn't the intended audience for the material. She never retained much, but I always considered her in the learning mix *as if* she did retain. My mistake.

Another piece of advice I followed early from a homeschool veteran was to select the subjects you will always consider "mom subjects", then don't compromise on those. I have *always* kept Latin and Religion as Mom Subjects. I suggest you mentally begin adjusting to what you will eventually decide that the student will be handling on his/her own, and what will always be Mom Subjects. BTW, I am not telling you that Christian Studies will make your cut as a Mom Subject. Many families use groups like Awanas so they actually allow the students to handle that one as student directed.

Isn't homeschooling awesome?! Choices!!

Jen
    DS, 25 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), following in the family tradition of working for the US Navy

DS, 23 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, working on Adulting

DD, 20 yrs, Junior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 10 yrs, taking the summer off, then 6M plus Bookshark's Later American history pack

All homeschooled.

The Golden Children's Bible was just recently scheduled in the K-2 cores (my oldest did it with K). Everyone could hear the same story scheduled in Christian Studies 3. (which would correlate with K). The younger children could answer a few questions from the K-2 Christian Studies book (it suggest using The Story Bible as the pages correlate, but it also says any Bible will do). They can then be excused. The oldest would remain and continue with the workbook activities.
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

Verifying...you're saying the older edition of k has The Children's Bible, right?

I'm actually sitting here thinking about my decrepit k curriculum guide and wondering whether I should fork out for a new copy. I'm sure mine has the Children's Bible scheduled.

The k guide was my gateway drug to MP. I bought it used and then realized the phonics had changed. So I bought the PDF and painstakingly cut and glued the update into my old guide. It's rough folks! But it only needs to limp through this next year. Ha!

I love the new Story Bible for sure. I'll look through that old guide some more today. Thanks for the reminder.

Verifying...you're saying the older edition of k has The Children's Bible, right?
    Correct!! My oldest used in 2015-2016.

P.S. just spent a few hours glueing in Math 3 in my SC4 guide!
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)

My take on CS 1-3:

3 is easiest (New Testament stories, kids are most likely to be familiar with these)
    1 is next (Genesis to Deuteronomy--OT Bible Stories)
    2 is hardest because it covers Joshua to Malachi. The prophets, divided kingdoms, captivity, etc. Israel was captured by ? Judah was captured by? Many grown-ups don't even know that part very well, ha!

However, I still recommend doing 1-3 in order.

4 is an entire shift up in covering the broad sweep. It assumes a much older child and one who can glean from the CS 1-3 courses, scripture, and the CS 4 reader to complete the work.

In our house CS has become a mom-subject (as Jen mentioned) with my third grader. This is different from how I approached it with my older two, allowing them to do more independent study on this. It really depends what/if you are doing anything inside or outside the home on Biblical literacy. If much, you can streamline with MP. If none or little, this is a time to cover this is a slow, methodical way. I'm a huge fan of doing this in grammar school. It really sets the stage for better understanding in the middle school years.

A final addition: I love Andrew Peterson's music and my kids have memorized his "Matthew's Begats" which is the entire genealogy from Abraham to Christ from Matthew chapter 1. I have been stunned how much this has helped them through Christian Studies! Google for many versions, audio and video. You can purchase it from his "Behold the Lamb of God" record.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2018-2019 · 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
    Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
    DS · MPOA Henle 2, 9A -- DD · 7A -- DD · 4A -- DS · 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
    www.nashvillelatinschool.com

I'm actually sitting here thinking about my decrepit k curriculum guide and wondering whether I should fork out for a new copy. I'm sure mine has the Children's Bible scheduled.

The k guide was my gateway drug to MP. I bought it used and then realized the phonics had changed. So I bought the PDF and painstakingly cut and glued the update into my old guide. It's rough folks! But it only needs to limp through this next year. Ha!

I love the new Story Bible for sure. I'll look through that old guide some more today. Thanks for the reminder.
    Michelle,

There's no need to suffer with the decrepit guide! Whenever we make major updates to a Curriculum Manual, such as switching to The Story Bible, we will happily replace your old CM. Just send us an email or give us a call (with the original order number if you have it).
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Quote Originally Posted by Jen (formerly) in Japan View Post

Another piece of advice I followed early from a homeschool veteran was to select the subjects you will always consider "mom subjects", then don't compromise on those. I have *always* kept Latin and Religion as Mom Subjects. I suggest you mentally begin adjusting to what you will eventually decide that the student will be handling on his/her own, and what will always be Mom Subjects. BTW, I am not telling you that Christian Studies will make your cut as a Mom Subject. Many families use groups like Awanas so they actually allow the students to handle that one as student directed.

Isn't homeschooling awesome?! Choices!!

Jen
    Jen,
    By Mom Subjects, do you mean 'subjects that Mom will always teach' or 'subjects Mom is also studying along with the student', or something altogether different?
    DD #1 : 23, college GRADUATE
    DD #2 : 12 MP 7A - HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
    DS #3 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DS #4 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DD #5: 6, MP 1 at HLS
    DS #6: 4, cutest caboose on the loose
    http://www.thekennedyadventures.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Michelle,

There's no need to suffer with the decrepit guide! Whenever we make major updates to a Curriculum Manual, such as switching to The Story Bible, we will happily replace your old CM. Just send us an email or give us a call (with the original order number if you have it).
    It was my first and only used guide purchase. Learned my lesson..always buy your guides from MP! I'm on my third edition of second grade guide...love my MP customer service. (PSA over, stepping off soapbox now)

Michael, what's your perspective on using Christian Studies out of sequence? That makes me nervous, but maybe I just need to breathe and relax.
    Last edited by Colomama; 04-16-2018 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
    Jen,
    By Mom Subjects, do you mean 'subjects that Mom will always teach' or 'subjects Mom is also studying along with the student', or something altogether different?
    Dianna,

I mean "subjects mom will always make time for reading and discussion, child not expected to do this subject alone". I let my child handle spelling on a daily basis, but we do Religion (Christian Studies) together so we can discuss. That is just how *I* do it. I took this idea from Laura Berquist of Mother of Divine Grace school. I believe each family might customize the Mom subjects based on mom's preferences.

Jen
    DS, 25 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), following in the family tradition of working for the US Navy

DS, 23 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, working on Adulting

DD, 20 yrs, Junior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 10 yrs, taking the summer off, then 6M plus Bookshark's Later American history pack

All homeschooled.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen (formerly) in Japan View Post
    Dianna,

I mean "subjects mom will always make time for reading and discussion, child not expected to do this subject alone". I let my child handle spelling on a daily basis, but we do Religion (Christian Studies) together so we can discuss. That is just how *I* do it. I took this idea from Laura Berquist of Mother of Divine Grace school. I believe each family might customize the Mom subjects based on mom's preferences.

Jen
    A ha! Thank you!
    DD #1 : 23, college GRADUATE
    DD #2 : 12 MP 7A - HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
    DS #3 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DS #4 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DD #5: 6, MP 1 at HLS
    DS #6: 4, cutest caboose on the loose
    http://www.thekennedyadventures.com

Quote Originally Posted by pickandgrin View Post

A final addition: I love Andrew Peterson's music and my kids have memorized his "Matthew's Begats" which is the entire genealogy from Abraham to Christ from Matthew chapter 1. I have been stunned how much this has helped them through Christian Studies! Google for many versions, audio and video. You can purchase it from his "Behold the Lamb of God" record.
    This is a reason to lurk on the forums! I didn’t realize the guy who co-wrote Slugs & Bugs Lullabies and has appeared on other Slugs & Bugs albums had other stuff (duh, right?!?) and never thought to look. What great find! And will add “Matthew’s Begats” when we start Christian Studies.
    Heidi

2018-19
    dd- 3m
    ds- SC 1
    dd- SC B

Default OT: Andrew Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by VAmom View Post
    This is a reason to lurk on the forums! I didn’t realize the guy who co-wrote Slugs & Bugs Lullabies and has appeared on other Slugs & Bugs albums had other stuff (duh, right?!?) and never thought to look. What great find! And will add “Matthew’s Begats” when we start Christian Studies.
    Oh, Heidi. You are in for an absolute TREAT! His newest two are Resurrection Letters: Prologue & Resurrection Letters: Vol. 1. They are settings for Lent and Easter. Wow. I recommend his entire catalog. He also writes children's books: hunt down The Wingfeather Saga.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2018-2019 · 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
    Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
    DS · MPOA Henle 2, 9A -- DD · 7A -- DD · 4A -- DS · 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
    www.nashvillelatinschool.com