Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smillard00
    • Apr 2010

Science difficulty

I'm looking at Middle School Science II vs. Novare Earth Science for my rising 7th grader next year. How do the difficulty levels compare between these courses? She has been doing elementary units from Apologia up until now and her other course work is going to be challenging, so I don't want to totally overwhelm her with science if there is a big difference.

Samantha

2018-2019 7th grader new to MPOA
    transitioning from another curriculum
    Samantha
  • spiland
    Director, MPOA
    • Jun 2008

Re: Science difficulty

Originally posted by smillard00
    I'm looking at Middle School Science II vs. Novare Earth Science for my rising 7th grader next year. How do the difficulty levels compare between these courses? She has been doing elementary units from Apologia up until now and her other course work is going to be challenging, so I don't want to totally overwhelm her with science if there is a big difference.

Samantha

2018-2019 7th grader new to MPOA
    transitioning from another curriculum
    Hi Samantha,

Thanks very much for the message; I'll be glad to help you.

Generally speaking the MS Science II class is probably less difficult than the Earth Science class. Though it might be more challenging in some ways, we do not cover every single chapter in the Novare Earth Science text, whereas we do cover every chapter in the three Tiner texts used in Middle School Science II. MS Science II covers the Biology, Chemistry, and Physics

Generally speaking the Novare texts are (1) Less chatty than and more concise than most of the popular homeschool science texts (which is a good thing) and (2) more challenging, generally speaking. This is based on all the reports and feedback that I've received after using Novare for a number of years. As an example, one of the instructors who designed the Physical Science class we offer had used the Apologia Physical Science textbook in high school, and dug it out and looked at it when he was designing the course. He let me know that the Novare Physical Science was more challenging and that he liked the Novare text better (he was a science guy, applying to med school).

Does this help? I hope so.

Scott Piland
    Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

• smillard00
      • Apr 2010

Re: Science difficulty

Thank you. That's exactly what I needed.

Samantha
      mom to 3:
      1 graduate
      1 graduating this year
      and a rising 7th grader transitioning to full time MP
      Samantha

Comment

Working...