Thread: John Cabot in Cape Cod? and: "British" explorer?

Default John Cabot in Cape Cod? and: "British" explorer?

Hi! I'm entering our American History memory into Anki, and have two questions/corrections about the question: English sailor who discovered Cape Cod:John Cabot.

First: why is he described as British? Maybe this could be changed to "European"? He was an Italian-born Venetian sailing with a patent from the English King Henry VII on a voyage largely financed by an Italian bank, I believe.

Second: can you give me a reference for his discovery of Cape Cod? I can only find that he may have gotten as far south as Maine, though most sources seem to suggest Newfoundland. Maybe I'm missing something.

Thank you for your help.
    Ana, mama to
    ds A, 6th grade
    ds N, 2nd grade

Default Re: John Cabot in Cape Cod? and: "British" explorer?

Quote Originally Posted by serendipitous journey View Post
    Hi! I'm entering our American History memory into Anki, and have two questions/corrections about the question: English sailor who discovered Cape Cod:John Cabot.

First: why is he described as British? Maybe this could be changed to "European"? He was an Italian-born Venetian sailing with a patent from the English King Henry VII on a voyage largely financed by an Italian bank, I believe.

Second: can you give me a reference for his discovery of Cape Cod? I can only find that he may have gotten as far south as Maine, though most sources seem to suggest Newfoundland. Maybe I'm missing something.

Thank you for your help.
    Good morning,

Are you referring to the Guerber program? If so, you may have an older printing, as the "Fact to Know" about John Cabot is: "A Venetian captain who first planted the English flag on American soil" (Lesson 3). If you're talking about a different program, however, please let me know!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Good morning,

Are you referring to the Guerber program? If so, you may have an older printing, as the "Fact to Know" about John Cabot is: "A Venetian captain who first planted the English flag on American soil" (Lesson 3). If you're talking about a different program, however, please let me know!
    Yes, that's what I meant -- good to know! So the flashcards have been updated too?

thanks so much!

ETA: to update, would the Teacher Manual + Cards be sufficient, or has the Student Guide changed too?
    Last edited by serendipitous journey; 04-12-2018 at 04:14 PM.
    Ana, mama to
    ds A, 6th grade
    ds N, 2nd grade

Quote Originally Posted by serendipitous journey View Post
    Yes, that's what I meant -- good to know! So the flashcards have been updated too?

thanks so much!

ETA: to update, would the Teacher Manual + Cards be sufficient, or has the Student Guide changed too?
    I (and most of the office) are out of the office at conventions, and I don't know the answer to these questions off the top of my head, so I'll have to follow-up on Monday. Sorry for this delay!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I (and most of the office) are out of the office at conventions, and I don't know the answer to these questions off the top of my head, so I'll have to follow-up on Monday. Sorry for this delay!
    No problem -- thanks for the prompt reply. I can wait 'til next week!
    Ana, mama to
    ds A, 6th grade
    ds N, 2nd grade

Good morning Ana,

Thank you again for your patience. As long as your current Student Guide for The Story of the Thirteen Colonies & the Great Republic is second edition, you can only replace the Teacher Guide and the products should work together. If your Student Guide is first edition, you will need to replace it as well.

The flashcards are actually for the 200 Questions program, whose drill question about John Cabot has not yet been updated.

HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Michael, thanks so much! That explains it -- we are using the Guerber book, but the 200 Questions program for our memory & written work, since I need to keep American Studies short & sweet this year.
    Ana, mama to
    ds A, 6th grade
    ds N, 2nd grade