Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: R&S Math 2

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    117

    Default R&S Math 2

    My son, N is about to start Math2, using the SC plans. I ordered the Blossom and Bees set from Milestone Books. I think I remember seeing a post about making manipulatives for this level. Could someone give me a link to that or share what you've made? Thanks so much! Lillian

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    103

    Default Re: R&S Math 2

    I am in the process of getting my manipulatives ready for math. I will come back with photos when I'm done, but for now I scanned what I am making in case they are useful. I believe there is a "sticky" thread at the top labeled Dianna's tips or something like that that shares some information.

    1) Boat poster--I'm using a blank blue file folder just laid open as my water and not making my boats actually attach in anyway. We'll just lay them on there as we're doing it, then put it away after math. I'm got a blank file of boats and also the ones I colored red. I printed on cardstock, colored roughly over all the boats with crayon, cut and will laminate. This way the other side is white and one side is colored per the instructions.

    2) Bees and Blossoms Charts--I did not want something large so I used a file I found (not sure from here or somewhere else). I colored each thing and scanned them in case anyone wants a colored version. You have to cut each blossom out, glue to the middle of another sheet of paper, then laminate or put in a sheet protector. The bees are cut and laminated and can be adhered with tape or poster putty.

    3) Clover Patch Poster--This one was confusing for me at first but I think I understand it now. I've shrunk the templates and colored them. Then you have to cut them all out and glue the pink bees to the back of the plain pink clovers (with one left over). Then laminate all and cut again. Similar to the boat poster, I will open a green file folder as our grass and just lay the pieces on it while we're using it. They won't adhere in anyway and we'll put away after math. You could cut slits for the clovers to fit in if desired.

    I'm sorry I don't have photos yet, hopefully this makes sense. I'll attach files I have in case they help anyone.

    -Laura
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2018-2019
    DD7, MP2/SC3/SC4
    DD5, MPK
    DD4, SC-C

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Denver Area, CO
    Posts
    1,905

    Default Re: R&S Math 2

    Well... *this* post is getting nominated for a sticky.
    Boy Wonder: 10, MP2/SC4 (Special Needs)
    Joy Bubble: 8, MP2 (Special Needs)
    Snuggly Cowboy: 6, MPK
    Sweet Lightness: 2, Reverse-Engineering Specialist

    “Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
    ~Pope St John Paul II

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,252

    Default Re: R&S Math 2

    Your wish is our command ... sticky granted!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    103

    Default Re: R&S Math 2

    I've got pictures to add today after a late night laminating session! I'm not so sure now that my file folders are big enough. I think I'll buy a blue and green poster board and just cut out a strip of it and fold that in half for storage. This way it will be longer to fit all the boats/clovers.

    -Laura
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018-2019
    DD7, MP2/SC3/SC4
    DD5, MPK
    DD4, SC-C

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Noth Park Colorado
    Posts
    907

    Default Re: R&S Math 2

    I did a presentation in this very thing at last summers Sodalitas.

    The key is TWO file folders. Open them both (make sure the pesky stamped brand label is on the outside or you'll have to look at it everyday). Overlap the middle edges, so that you now have three pages wide. Don't line up that middle folder all the way to the crease or it won't fold closed. Ta-da, it'll work and fit back on the shelf with the TG! Yay!
    Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

    DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
    DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
    DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Noth Park Colorado
    Posts
    907

    Default Re: R&S Math 2

    The first 30 lessons or so use boats on an ocean, so blue folders work great. I copied the boats from the book at 60% I believe.

    The rest of the year is the clover patch. I used blue folders as well and then put a green strip at the bottom for grass. Some clovers have bees, some don't. I just photocopied from the teacher manual at 60% again and then flipped the page over, held it up to a window and drew the other side.

    I can't attach pictures on my phone, but I will try when I get home. I know theyre out on this forum somewhere 😀
    Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

    DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
    DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
    DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    1,196

    Default Re: R&S Math 2

    I used Colomama’s templates from Sodalitas last year and made a Math binder. Attaching pictures here, but it includes the felt board and all charts and posters — ready for use!

    B7A7281B-BEF2-415C-B33F-172C8BBC9B41.jpg
    ABA9ACEB-0B63-4BFD-A966-CB0B52CE5C2A.jpg
    6ED5748D-02BC-49FE-82A7-DC4C6A95F34C.jpg
    A14C9EB0-6D42-448B-B6CE-DC83816402A6.jpg
    7B1367B3-E173-476F-83B1-90A9562DF9FE.jpg
    E8E5307B-135C-4E7B-ADA8-B9C3541BB6B7.jpg
    B7844D9E-7B64-44A6-A0D7-0AE3DC8D1415.jpg
    41F4F376-69FF-4E59-A9D5-88F11B6AB6BD.jpg
    C6BB44E7-7203-4360-8400-ECB4C5DF0E48.jpg

    ETA: sorry about long file names — posting from my phone
    Jennifer

    2017-2018
    DS-13 & DS-14 (mix of 6M & 8M)
    DS-11 (5M)
    DS-9 (SC2)
    DD-7 (MP1)
    DD-5 (SC1)
    DD-3 (Preschool)

    2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Algebra I, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    117

    Default Re: R&S Math 2

    Wow, I've never had a thread I started become a sticky! I feel important! 😀

    All this information and especially the pictures have been really helpful! One more question...
    Did you copy the three animals for the hundreds, tens, and ones at 60% also?

    My husband is going to do the copying tomorrow at work on heavy paper. Then I'll get busy coloring, cutting, and gluing this weekend. Monday we begin! Thanks so much, Lillian

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    117

    Default Re: R&S Math 2

    Thanks so much to all of you for your answers! Colomama, I'd love to see your pictures, if you wouldn't mind posting them again. Thanks, Lillian

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Noth Park Colorado
    Posts
    907

    Default Re: R&S Math 2

    1472257536472235510323.jpg
    14722563970241036303238.jpg

    The first attachment is my smaller version of the blossom and bee poster. It fits in a page protector so we keep them all in a binder and review them everyday very quickly. I think I remember the book being very particular about the color of the blossoms, but after using it, I don't see why they were so particular.

    The second is the boats folder. Its actually just one standard file folder wide. It is only used for addition and subtraction facts 1-10, so it doesnt have to be as wide. You can see my "waves" in the picture. Make sure that you don't cut them straight across or the whole wave will wave and your boats will sink. Each individual "wave" is a separate exacto knife cut, so that your boats stay put. Each has its own slot to fit into.

    IMG_20180414_095648.jpg

    This is the clover patch. It's two folders glued together to make a three page spread. The far right folder has its 'back' trimmed so that the back tab is removed. The "fold" of the right folder is lined up with the right side of the left folder. By cutting that tab off, it folds up to the size of a normal file folder. This part that folds in has a ziploc bag taped in it to keep the pieces and parts. Don't tape it down really tight, or you you won't be able to reach inside the bag to get the clovers out. The color of your clovers is important. You want 10 of the same color (they say pink) and 8 more of a different color (with a few spares of each).

    The pink is "Pink, think 10"; theyre trying to teach the kids visualization of 10 plus. So, they see 10 pink clovers and five others...10+5 is fifteen clovers total. Then they look at bees. If 7 of the pink clovers have bees, then 8 clovers do not have bees. So your triplet is 15, 7 and 8.

    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Colomama; 04-14-2018 at 03:09 PM.
    Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

    DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
    DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
    DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Frisco, CO
    Posts
    305

    Default Re: R&S Math 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle T View Post
    The newer R & S doesn't use the pig, sheep and horse for place value. My guess is that as the company became more popular outside of the very, agrarian Mennonite community they realized not every city person knows that you feed your pig first, then your sheep, and lastly your horse (I could have these animals mixed up.) Thus making it simple for the young farm children to remember the ones place first then tens and lastly hundreds. In the newer version they use a crayon, then a box then a bin, much easier for this city girl to teach! You could make the cute poster, but I drew the animals on the whiteboard and labeled with the words-even in kindergarten. The freehand drawing showed my students to try and that their teacher was not perfect. And the numbers were a visual imprint for some and a decoding activity for some.


    Blessings,
    Michelle T
    I bought the Rod and Staff math 2 set brand new from MP just this summer and my textbooks, student books and blacklines have the animals instead of the crayons. I would prefer the crayons. I am guessing that this is a mistake and that there was an extra set of the old edition leftover that I got. How do I get the newer version with the crayons? We do not know anything about farming and Clara will never understand the place values with animals. I had a hard enough time teaching her with the Math-U-See houses. The crayon idea actually sounds a lot better than the Math-U-See houses, by the way. It seems much simpler to understand.
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    2,253

    Default Re: R&S Math 2

    Quote Originally Posted by jejegreer View Post
    I bought the Rod and Staff math 2 set brand new from MP just this summer and my textbooks, student books and blacklines have the animals instead of the crayons. I would prefer the crayons. I am guessing that this is a mistake and that there was an extra set of the old edition leftover that I got. How do I get the newer version with the crayons? We do not know anything about farming and Clara will never understand the place values with animals. I had a hard enough time teaching her with the Math-U-See houses. The crayon idea actually sounds a lot better than the Math-U-See houses, by the way. It seems much simpler to understand.
    JeJe,

    I see what happened: Michelle posted in the wrong thread! The crayons are from Math 1. I am so sorry for the confusion, and feel free to disregard my response to your other post.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: R&S Math 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Colomama View Post
    1472257536472235510323.jpg
    14722563970241036303238.jpg

    The first attachment is my smaller version of the blossom and bee poster. It fits in a page protector so we keep them all in a binder and review them everyday very quickly. I think I remember the book being very particular about the color of the blossoms, but after using it, I don't see why they were so particular.

    The second is the boats folder. Its actually just one standard file folder wide. It is only used for addition and subtraction facts 1-10, so it doesnt have to be as wide. You can see my "waves" in the picture. Make sure that you don't cut them straight across or the whole wave will wave and your boats will sink. Each individual "wave" is a separate exacto knife cut, so that your boats stay put. Each has its own slot to fit into.

    IMG_20180414_095648.jpg

    This is the clover patch. It's two folders glued together to make a three page spread. The far right folder has its 'back' trimmed so that the back tab is removed. The "fold" of the right folder is lined up with the right side of the left folder. By cutting that tab off, it folds up to the size of a normal file folder. This part that folds in has a ziploc bag taped in it to keep the pieces and parts. Don't tape it down really tight, or you you won't be able to reach inside the bag to get the clovers out. The color of your clovers is important. You want 10 of the same color (they say pink) and 8 more of a different color (with a few spares of each).

    The pink is "Pink, think 10"; theyre trying to teach the kids visualization of 10 plus. So, they see 10 pink clovers and five others...10+5 is fifteen clovers total. Then they look at bees. If 7 of the pink clovers have bees, then 8 clovers do not have bees. So your triplet is 15, 7 and 8.

    Hope this helps.
    So, I am wrapping my mind around this pink clover thing...we do lesson 41 tomorrow. So it's like a two step thing? Instead of just memorizing that 7 + 8 = 15, they are indirectly supposed to be learning to group to 10s? I am feeling very lost...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,247

    Default Re: R&S Math 2

    Basically you are teaching the fact families as triplets. Rather than just teaching 7+5=12, you are teaching 7,5,12 . Those triplets belong together. 12 will be the big number on the clover, one bee wing will have a 5 and one a 7. Your child will be taught 7+5 =12, 5+7=12, 12-7=5, 12-5=7. After this lesson they will look at the blossom chart with the 12 clover and during the warm-up recitation for math will say: 7+5 =12, 5+7=12, 12-7=5, 12-5=7. As they learn other triplets for the 12 clover (6,6,12 and 8,4,12 etc) they will add this to their recitation as well. The practice pages facilitate learning of the facts as triplets. So students begin to know, 7,5,12.

    Does this help? It is basically a different technique to memorizing the facts. Personally, buying the blossom charts for $15 is worth every penny especially for a non-crafty person such as I!

    Michelle T

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Noth Park Colorado
    Posts
    907

    Default Re: R&S Math 2

    At first I thought this was a convoluted and confusing teaching aid. I couldn't figure out the bigger purpose. After using the chart as described in the teacher text, Michelle T's above reponse is spot on. Buy the poster set if you're not crafty or don't have time to make it. It was a very useful chart to teach the upper facts.
    Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

    DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
    DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
    DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: R&S Math 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle T View Post
    Basically you are teaching the fact families as triplets. Rather than just teaching 7+5=12, you are teaching 7,5,12 . Those triplets belong together. 12 will be the big number on the clover, one bee wing will have a 5 and one a 7. Your child will be taught 7+5 =12, 5+7=12, 12-7=5, 12-5=7. After this lesson they will look at the blossom chart with the 12 clover and during the warm-up recitation for math will say: 7+5 =12, 5+7=12, 12-7=5, 12-5=7. As they learn other triplets for the 12 clover (6,6,12 and 8,4,12 etc) they will add this to their recitation as well. The practice pages facilitate learning of the facts as triplets. So students begin to know, 7,5,12.

    Does this help? It is basically a different technique to memorizing the facts. Personally, buying the blossom charts for $15 is worth every penny especially for a non-crafty person such as I!

    Michelle T
    That does help thanks! I've printed off and laminated the files kindly shared earlier in this thread and may pretend teach the lesson tonight before I real teach it! We are new to R&S and I want DD to be impressed

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,247

    Default Re: R&S Math 2

    I'm afraid if you teach the lesson the night before, you will soon burn out! That is a lot of teaching. Rod & Staff is set up so you can basically "read" the lesson. It is scripted! There is no shame in having the teacher book open and reading the sections. You will see that the lessons are repetitious in nature, so as you get further into the year and are more comfortable with the lesson lay-out , you will be able to read less but still use the information as a guide. I am confident that in no time you will be a ease with the material. But, should you need us for anything we are here!

    Blessings,
    Michelle T

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: R&S Math 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle T View Post
    I'm afraid if you teach the lesson the night before, you will soon burn out! That is a lot of teaching. Rod & Staff is set up so you can basically "read" the lesson. It is scripted! There is no shame in having the teacher book open and reading the sections. You will see that the lessons are repetitious in nature, so as you get further into the year and are more comfortable with the lesson lay-out , you will be able to read less but still use the information as a guide. I am confident that in no time you will be a ease with the material. But, should you need us for anything we are here!

    Blessings,
    Michelle T
    On second thought, yes, I agree! And actually it turns out that DD doesn't know her 9 and 10 fact families down cold, so we are going to back up and use the boats and stuff, which seems a bit easier to implement and it will help me get into the groove of R&S.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-27-2017, 10:42 AM
  2. Which math for child who has completed Saxon Math Course 2?
    By jackieguillory in forum K-8 Curriculum Board
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-18-2017, 04:03 PM
  3. Math - "Do I have to finish the math book" Great article!
    By MG_ in forum K-8 Curriculum Board
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-10-2016, 10:11 PM
  4. Rod & Staff Math & Help Supporting Kids with Math Probs
    By HeatherB in forum Simply Classical for Special Needs and Struggling Students
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-02-2015, 10:31 AM
  5. Another Rod & Staff Math Newbie--1st Grade Math Questions
    By thenightbeforechristmas in forum K-8 Curriculum Board
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-17-2014, 09:30 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •