Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streaming vs. Dvd LC?

Default Streaming vs. Dvd LC?

The teacher on the Latina Christ. Dvds is leaving us in her dust! She's so fast that we can't keep up at all. I was wondering if anyone has used the Streaming videos and can compare them for me? Are they done better? Does the teacher take more time and talk slower? We are from the south, and we never talk that fast, even in an emergency! lol

I'd love to hear from those who have used the Streaming and can give me a good review before I spend more money. Thank you!

Lisa

Default Re: Streaming vs. Dvd LC?

Quote Originally Posted by Lisainjax View Post
    The teacher on the Latina Christ. Dvds is leaving us in her dust! She's so fast that we can't keep up at all. I was wondering if anyone has used the Streaming videos and can compare them for me? Are they done better? Does the teacher take more time and talk slower? We are from the south, and we never talk that fast, even in an emergency! lol

I'd love to hear from those who have used the Streaming and can give me a good review before I spend more money. Thank you!

Lisa
    Who is the teacher on your DVDs? Glen Moore or Jessica Watson?
    Michael
    Memoria Press

It's Jessica Watson.

It's Jessica Watson.
    Right before I saw this reply, a kind coworker pointed out that "her dust" in your first post means the teacher has to be Jessica. Clearly I need to read more closely!

The streaming videos are identical to the physical ones. However, since they are online videos, they may be easier to pause and rewind than physical DVDs (depending on what device you use to play your DVDs). I do apologize that the teacher is moving too quickly. We have had a few other comments about her speed and will definitely keep that feedback in mind for future DVDs.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Thank for letting me know. I guess we'll just have to figure this out on our own and hope that the next level is a little slower.

The main problem is not stopping to do our work, it's that *she* is talking so fact that we can't hear everything well. We just don't seem to process fast enough. It's like she's on fast forward.

If you all decide to redo the lessons in the future, a teacher who can speak slower and with more inflection, would be very helpful.

Lisa
    Hi Lisa,

I had to smile when I read your post! We had the same difficulty with LC as you have described. It was especially noticeable after coming from PL where we delighted in Leigh Lowe's leisurely pace. We're slow talkers too and so I feel your pain. We might also be guilty of having the occasional drawl.

You can take heart though! Here are two reasons why I think so:
    1. Mrs. Watson will prepare you well. We really had to watch the DVD lessons several times each week to keep up. I relied on them heavily to have the material taught correctly. The recitations became so fast as the year went on, and my son gained confidence, that there was no time to think about them, he just had to know them! (Makes me think of the math article, "Why Johnny Can't Add.")

2. If you can survive LC, then you will find FF to be a breeze. Mr. Moore is the perfect go between from the two extremes of speech in PL and LC. Also, those recitations will be down cold so the review will be excellent and the new material will click! Very delightful program!
    You could probably teach it without the DVD's if you really needed to slow it down. I just did not have the confidence to do so. You could also watch the DVD's and then read it directly from the teacher manual if you needed to reinforce what was being said. It does take more time but it might be helpful.

For what it's worth, I took the full day LC teacher training at Sodalitas with Mrs. Watson. It was very fast and rigorous. I remember that evening, after class, walking... actually stumbling, around the local grocery store trying to find something for dinner but unable to think. I'm pretty sure I was staring right at what I wanted to buy but found myself unable to stretch my arm out and pick it up to purchase. My brain was fried. It was a great example (and reminder for me) at how hard my kids would be working on Latin. Perseverance.
    Last edited by makinmemories; 03-13-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by makinmemories View Post
    Hi Lisa,

I had to smile when I read your post! We had the same difficulty with LC as you have described. It was especially noticeable after coming from PL where we delighted in Leigh Lowe's leisurely pace. We're slow talkers too and so I feel your pain. We might also be guilty of having the occasional drawl.

Yes, our accents sometimes come in contrast to what we are supposed to be saying. lol

You can take heart though! Here are two reasons why I think so:
    1. Mrs. Watson will prepare you well. We really had to watch the DVD lessons several times each week to keep up. I relied on them heavily to have the material taught correctly. The recitations became so fast as the year went on, and my son gained confidence, that there was no time to think about them, he just had to know them! (Makes me think of the math article, "Why Johnny Can't Add.")

We've been watching the videos every single day, just to keep up and we also will take two weeks on a lesson if it just isn't sinking in. Most of the time, the kids can't even try to talk that fast, so I'm not sure they'll get to where they are reciting with her.

2. If you can survive LC, then you will find FF to be a breeze. Mr. Moore is the perfect go between from the two extremes of speech in PL and LC. Also, those recitations will be down cold so the review will be excellent and the new material will click! Very delightful program!

I'm glad to hear that the next dvds will be at a better pace.

You could probably teach it without the DVD's if you really needed to slow it down. I just did not have the confidence to do so. You could also watch the DVD's and then read it directly from the teacher manual if you needed to reinforce what was being said. It does take more time but it might be helpful.

I have no idea what is going on and there is no way that I can teach this. lol I wish I could understand her, so that I could watch the videos, then present to the kids, but I can't hear her well enough to repeat.

For what it's worth, I took the full day LC teacher training at Sodalitas with Mrs. Watson. It was very fast and rigorous. I remember that evening, after class, walking... actually stumbling, around the local grocery store trying to find something for dinner but unable to think. I'm pretty sure I was staring right at what I wanted to buy but found myself unable to stretch my arm out and pick it up to purchase. My brain was fried. It was a great example (and reminder for me) at how hard my kids would be working on Latin. Perseverance.
    Yes, we will persevere. I'm stepping my one child back to 3rd and 1/2 pace for LC. I think that will help build her confidence. My older one will continue at this pace. He's been keeping up with the work, I'm just not sure about his pronunciation. lol

I appreciate your view of things. I am hoping that we'll be able to get through this program and then breathe again next year (or two for my dd). lol

Blessings,
    Lisa

Jenn and Lisa,

Just so you all know, we are already in the process of transitioning from Glenn to Jessica as the DVD teacher for FFL. How much longer we continue to have Glenn's DVDs will depend on how fast they sell.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Yes, we will persevere. I'm stepping my one child back to 3rd and 1/2 pace for LC. I think that will help build her confidence. My older one will continue at this pace. He's been keeping up with the work, I'm just not sure about his pronunciation. lol

I appreciate your view of things. I am hoping that we'll be able to get through this program and then breathe again next year (or two for my dd). lol

Blessings,
    Lisa
    Thatís so funny...we didnít have a problem with Jessica but found Mr. Moore to be insanely fast! And we thought Leigh was too slow, lol!
    Jennifer

2017-2018
    DS-13 & DS-14 (mix of 6M & 8M)
    DS-11 (5M)
    DS-9 (SC2)
    DD-7 (MP1)
    DD-5 (SC1)
    DD-3 (Preschool)

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Algebra I, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

If you play the DVDs on your PC, you should be able to adjust the speed. Iíve not used the new DVDs but we used to play the Form videos at .8 or .9 and the speed was pretty good. We used VLC Player.
    2018-2019:
    DD 14 | 9th | Foerster Alg II, MPOA (Biology, Novel, Henle II, AP US, Composition), HSC (Didache Intro)
    DS 12 | 6M | Singapore, AAS, MPOA (Composition)
    DD 10 | 5A | Singapore, AAS, MPOA (Composition), Delectare

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Jenn and Lisa,

Just so you all know, we are already in the process of transitioning from Glenn to Jessica as the DVD teacher for FFL. How much longer we continue to have Glenn's DVDs will depend on how fast they sell.
    Lisa ~ buy FF now before they sell out! We are almost finished with FF so we're good on those. I'll be sure to never. ever. scratch those DVD's! Maybe I should buy another one just as a backup!

On another note ~ do you think it is a technical issue on your end? Bad DVD, poor audio output on your TV? While we found that she talked insanely fast, we did eventually learn to keep up and were able to hear what she was saying. Perhaps if you did try the streaming on a different device it would sound better? Or tried the DVD in a laptop?
    Last edited by makinmemories; 03-13-2018 at 03:46 PM.

Ha- my ds used to cry with LC because it was so fast he couldnt repeat or recite...the teacher was lovely, but as you say, it was like the whole thing was on fast forward. She did prepare my ds very well, though, and was a pleasing and engaging teacher, even though we were not able to use the recitations. He is finding Mr. Moore fast, too, but a bit easier to understand on recitations. We love Mr. Moore, and his explanations are funny and engaging. I hope so much he is on the Third Form DVDs! But I hope they are able to somehow slow down the recitations a bit- I do understand that the kids are supposed to know it so well that they can say it without even thinking about it- however, getting to that point is quite difficult if you`ve never heard it said slowly, or at least...slow enough to be able to decipher what the endings are first. As my daughter says ``I don`t think my tongue even moves that fast.``
    Last edited by Girlnumber20; 03-13-2018 at 03:32 PM.
    DD 12, using 6M core with 7th Grade COTR
    DS 10, using 5M core

Jenn and Lisa,

Does that mean, that the Form Latin program will be just as fast as the LC in the future? I'm not sure that having the teacher go that fast is the best way to help someone learn Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by makinmemories View Post
    Lisa ~ buy FF now before they sell out! We are almost finished with FF so we're good on those. I'll be sure to never. ever. scratch those DVD's! Maybe I should buy another one just as a backup!

On another note ~ do you think it is a technical issue on your end? Bad DVD, poor audio output on your TV? While we found that she talked insanely fast, we did eventually learn to keep up and were able to hear what she was saying. Perhaps if you did try the streaming on a different device it would sound better? Or tried the DVD in a laptop?
    I think it's just us. I know that I have an auditory processing issue and I'm sure a few of my kids do too. Even so, I don't think that it's the best way to learn something for the first time.

I thankfully, have already bought the First Form program. I just hope that the books don't change and I won't have to update if the new FF is just as fast as LC.

Quote Originally Posted by jenniferjb View Post
    If you play the DVDs on your PC, you should be able to adjust the speed. Iíve not used the new DVDs but we used to play the Form videos at .8 or .9 and the speed was pretty good. We used VLC Player.
    Thanks for the idea, Jennifer. I'll have to see if my dh can figure that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria2 View Post
    Ha- my ds used to cry with LC because it was so fast he couldnt repeat or recite...the teacher was lovely, but as you say, it was like the whole thing was on fast forward. She did prepare my ds very well, though, and was a pleasing and engaging teacher, even though we were not able to use the recitations. He is finding Mr. Moore fast, too, but a bit easier to understand on recitations. We love Mr. Moore, and his explanations are funny and engaging. I hope so much he is on the Third Form DVDs! But I hope they are able to somehow slow down the recitations a bit- I do understand that the kids are supposed to know it so well that they can say it without even thinking about it- however, getting to that point is quite difficult if you`ve never heard it said slowly, or at least...slow enough to be able to decipher what the endings are first. As my daughter says ``I don`t think my tongue even moves that fast.``
    Exactly! I'm not glad that you understand, but thankful that we aren't the only ones. lol My kids just get this blank look on their faces, like, is she even human? lol I get that people talk that fast, but we are the kind of people that if you are talking with us, someone usually tries to finish our sentences for us.

This thread is reminding me of my high school English teacher. He came from Texas and had a very dry sense of humor. He had a comment about moving up to Chicago to teach - that at first, he wondered how anyone could think as quickly as they speak in Chicago. Then he realized, they didnít.

(No offense to my dearly-loved Chicago-native friends!)

(Or to Jessica!! I am sure your brain keeps up just fine!)

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2018-2019
    DD 17 - 12th || DS 15 - 10th || DD 13 - 8th || DD 11 - 6th || DD 9 - 4th
    DD 6 - 1st || DD 4 - mix of 1st & JrK || +DS, 2-21-16+ || DS 10 months (and walking!)

Does that mean, that the Form Latin program will be just as fast as the LC in the future? I'm not sure that having the teacher go that fast is the best way to help someone learn Latin.
    We would never intentionally release a DVD that is too fast (or too slow). With teachers, it can be hard to find someone who works for everyone. For example, in addition to comments like yours about Jessica's speed being too fast, we've also been told that her videos are much better than the prior teacher's! That same variety of opinions has been expressed about most if not all of our DVDs. We try our best to please everyone, but of course we don't always succeed, as in your case with the new DVDs. I again offer my apologies for your poor experience. If the DVDs are completely unusable for you, please email me (michael@memoriapress.com) to see about setting up a return. You can certainly use the TM by itself.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

We would never intentionally release a DVD that is too fast (or too slow). With teachers, it can be hard to find someone who works for everyone. For example, in addition to comments like yours about Jessica's speed being too fast, we've also been told that her videos are much better than the prior teacher's! That same variety of opinions has been expressed about most if not all of our DVDs. We try our best to please everyone, but of course we don't always succeed, as in your case with the new DVDs. I again offer my apologies for your poor experience. If the DVDs are completely unusable for you, please email me (michael@memoriapress.com) to see about setting up a return. You can certainly use the TM by itself.
    I have no experience with Miss. Watson, but the older Latina Christiana videos were every slow and long. I didn't buy the videos when the text was revised as it was my third time through.

I really love the Glen Moore dvd's for first form and second form. I don't know if my third and fourth form dvd's have even come out of the packaging since my oldest started with MPOA in third form and my next switched to Henle. I was bummed when I heard Mr. Moore wasn't the teacher. The thing about Mr. Moore is I find he is understandable for the lesson...the recitation is very fast, but that is something we were supposed to be practicing the previous week.

Must take care of those DVDs...I still have two more kiddos to teach!
    Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
    DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
    DS 10 - 5M
    DS 5 - K with AAR3