Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Setting up a new house/ schedule

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    146

    Default Setting up a new house/ schedule

    Hello ladies!

    I have 3 boys age 10, 9, 5. The 10yo and 5yo are pretty normal kids - my 9yo struggles. He hasn't been tested yet (getting there...), but I strongly suspect ADHD, sensory issues, and dyslexia. He is distracted by everything, is impulsive, takes ridiculous amounts of time on tasks, has atrocious spelling/manuscript, is often fatigued, etc. Positives include a sweet, affectionate heart, a strong faith, a talent with music (violin), and a newfound love of reading!

    We moved to a new state last year, and this whole year has been chaos with the emotional turmoil from moving, the distractions of road trips, and illnesses. We are in a tiny 900 sqft house, the road is not safe for the kids to ride bikes, and we are still making friends. It's been a tough year! This summer though, we are buying a house - three bedrooms upstairs, finished basement, fenced yard, woods across the street. I have a clean slate and time to prepare, and I'm looking for ideas in setting up house and routine that can set us up for a smoother year.

    This is what I've come up with so far, but I'm happy for any other ideas from you experienced mamas!
    --Keep the boys' bedroom very simple - beds, dressers, and a bookshelf. Little to nothing else.
    --Keep only books/supplies that are being used this year in the school room. No distracting extra books, art supplies, etc.
    --All toys/games/extra books to be kept only in the basement, and no one goes to the basement until school/music/chores are done.
    --Walk to Mass in the morning (the house is 0.3 miles from my husband's work and a chapel where we can go to daily Mass). This gets everyone up and dressed, and outside and moving early in the day.
    --Afternoon read/rest time. Perhaps not in bed since all three boys share a bedroom, and they're likely to chatter.
    Amanda
    Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

    "Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    1,113

    Default Re: Setting up a new house/ schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdmom View Post
    Hello ladies!

    I have 3 boys age 10, 9, 5. The 10yo and 5yo are pretty normal kids - my 9yo struggles. He hasn't been tested yet (getting there...), but I strongly suspect ADHD, sensory issues, and dyslexia. He is distracted by everything, is impulsive, takes ridiculous amounts of time on tasks, has atrocious spelling/manuscript, is often fatigued, etc. Positives include a sweet, affectionate heart, a strong faith, a talent with music (violin), and a newfound love of reading!

    We moved to a new state last year, and this whole year has been chaos with the emotional turmoil from moving, the distractions of road trips, and illnesses. We are in a tiny 900 sqft house, the road is not safe for the kids to ride bikes, and we are still making friends. It's been a tough year! This summer though, we are buying a house - three bedrooms upstairs, finished basement, fenced yard, woods across the street. I have a clean slate and time to prepare, and I'm looking for ideas in setting up house and routine that can set us up for a smoother year.

    This is what I've come up with so far, but I'm happy for any other ideas from you experienced mamas!
    --Keep the boys' bedroom very simple - beds, dressers, and a bookshelf. Little to nothing else.
    --Keep only books/supplies that are being used this year in the school room. No distracting extra books, art supplies, etc.
    --All toys/games/extra books to be kept only in the basement, and no one goes to the basement until school/music/chores are done.
    --Walk to Mass in the morning (the house is 0.3 miles from my husband's work and a chapel where we can go to daily Mass). This gets everyone up and dressed, and outside and moving early in the day.
    --Afternoon read/rest time. Perhaps not in bed since all three boys share a bedroom, and they're likely to chatter.
    I think youíre on the right track here! One thing I would be hesitant to do is have them in the basement ó especially with impulsivity Iíve found it best to keep everyone no more than one room away from me.
    Jennifer

    2017-2018
    DS-13 & DS-14 (mix of 6M & 8M)
    DS-11 (5M)
    DS-9 (SC2)
    DD-7 (MP1)
    DD-5 (SC1)
    DD-3 (Preschool)

    2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Algebra I, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    1,113

    Default Re: Setting up a new house/ schedule

    Oh, one more thing: with the boys getting older, rest time is best had in a less isolated place. The things we have to think about as mothers of boys! *sigh*
    Jennifer

    2017-2018
    DS-13 & DS-14 (mix of 6M & 8M)
    DS-11 (5M)
    DS-9 (SC2)
    DD-7 (MP1)
    DD-5 (SC1)
    DD-3 (Preschool)

    2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Algebra I, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    146

    Default Re: Setting up a new house/ schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by jen1134 View Post
    Oh, one more thing: with the boys getting older, rest time is best had in a less isolated place. The things we have to think about as mothers of boys! *sigh*
    Yes, I am thinking the 5yo can rest in bed, the 10yo on the couch, and the 9yo in whatever room I'm in... They have no tech access without my fingerprint, so that part isn't a concern, but still.

    I do wonder about keeping my sensory/impulsive kid in the same bedroom as his brothers, especially as they get just a bit older. Unless we got a murphy bed or something in the school room, though, there just isn't another bedroom space.
    Amanda
    Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

    "Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    146

    Default Re: Setting up a new house/ schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by jen1134 View Post
    One thing I would be hesitant to do is have them in the basement ó especially with impulsivity Iíve found it best to keep everyone no more than one room away from me.
    I'll have to think about this logistically. Perhaps I can be nearby doing laundry or my own work, or set up a camera or something so I can keep an eye on them...
    Amanda
    Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

    "Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,150

    Default Re: Setting up a new house/ schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdmom View Post
    Hello ladies!

    I have 3 boys age 10, 9, 5.
    --Keep the boys' bedroom very simple - beds, dressers, and a bookshelf. Little to nothing else.
    Maybe display the youngest boy's Art Card/Art Poster -- or a crucifix -- in the bedroom to add beauty (and something to ponder) to the minimalism.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    146

    Default Re: Setting up a new house/ schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by cherylswope View Post
    Maybe display the youngest boy's Art Card/Art Poster -- or a crucifix -- in the bedroom to add beauty (and something to ponder) to the minimalism.
    Yes! Good idea! I definitely will add some art/beauty. I mostly want to avoid stuff that can become a cluttered mess or a distraction from school time.

    I hadn't thought of putting the art posters in their room - love that idea!
    Amanda
    Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

    "Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Similar Threads

  1. Setting up 7th and 8th grade to prep for MPOA High School program
    By smillard00 in forum K-8 Curriculum Board
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-21-2018, 03:16 PM
  2. schooling over summer- what does it look like at your house?
    By bean in forum K-8 Curriculum Board
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-06-2017, 08:48 PM
  3. Open House for Fredericksburg, VA: April 30
    By KF2000 in forum Starting a (Highlands Latin) Cottage School
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2017, 10:49 AM
  4. Recitation and memory - what does that time look like in your house?
    By 4Brightdays in forum K-8 Curriculum Board
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-15-2015, 11:04 AM
  5. Question about 1st Grade and Little House books
    By sfhargett in forum K-8 Curriculum Board
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-07-2015, 05:54 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •