Thread: MS Science I vs II vs Earth Science (those who've done any of these)

Default MS Science I vs II

I have a rising 7th grader for next year, and I'm trying to determine which science class would be best. He's a strong reader, dislikes math (although he does OK), and is not particularly interested in textbook science. He's had a lot of hands-on engineering/Mindstorms/simple machine sort of stuff and has enjoyed that. MS Science I really appears more of a 5/6th grade level class, although of all the Tiner books, he is most interested in the History of Medicine. Exploring Planet Earth (also in MS Sci I) appears to be more of a social studies text--not that it's a bad thing--but I was looking for science. Is MS Sci I challenging enough for an average 7th grade student? Or should I go with MS Sci II?
    Last edited by BedeFamily; 03-12-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Default Re: MS Science I vs II

Quote Originally Posted by BedeFamily View Post
    I have a rising 7th grader for next year, and I'm trying to determine which science class would be best. He's a strong reader, dislikes math (although he does OK), and is not particularly interested in textbook science. He's had a lot of hands-on engineering/Mindstorms/simple machine sort of stuff and has enjoyed that. MS Science I really appears more of a 5/6th grade level class, although of all the Tiner books, he is most interested in the History of Medicine. Exploring Planet Earth (also in MS Sci I) appears to be more of a social studies text--not that it's a bad thing--but I was looking for science. Is MS Sci I challenging enough for an average 7th grade student? Or should I go with MS Sci II?
    Hello!

I noticed this post and that no one had chimed in, and thought I would try to help. I would probably suggest something that he enjoys (that is a biggie). We have had some 7th graders take Middle School Science I and II, and then move into Novare Physical Science afterward. The MS Science II class is a bit more challenging but they both do experiments. You might think about the Novare Earth Science class if that sounds interesting. The Exploring Planet Earth is not a social studies text - very much a science text.

I would be happy to talk with you about this as well if you have additional questions. Feel free to give me a call at (877) 745-8866

Scott Piland
    Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy
    onlineacademy@memoriapress.com