Thread: Latina Christiana Review Worksheets

Default Latina Christiana Review Worksheets

Each week on the final section in the Review Worksheets students are asked to write English derivatives to fill in the blanks. Most of the time the derivatives they want are not in the student book, but in the teacher manual. This really makes it difficult for the student to figure out the English derivative unless they have parent help or look at the teacher manual. Is there a reason why all the derivatives used in the Review Worksheets are not in the Latina Christiana student book?

Default Re: Latina Christiana Review Worksheets

Quote Originally Posted by KariE View Post
    Each week on the final section in the Review Worksheets students are asked to write English derivatives to fill in the blanks. Most of the time the derivatives they want are not in the student book, but in the teacher manual. This really makes it difficult for the student to figure out the English derivative unless they have parent help or look at the teacher manual. Is there a reason why all the derivatives used in the Review Worksheets are not in the Latina Christiana student book?
    The Student Text only includes one or two derivatives for each word, and only these derivatives are used in the exercises in that book. This allows the student to truly master these derivatives and prevents the text from being cluttered with an overwhelming number of derivatives. The derivatives in Teacher Manual are meant to be added based on student age and ability and as time permits.

When we later wrote the Review Worksheets, we presumed students had done the required derivatives in the Student Text and so we chose to use many of the optional derivatives in the Teacher Manual for further practice. If you choose not to teach these additional derivatives, it is fine to skip the derivatives section of the Review Worksheets. Mastering only the derivatives in the Student Text is enough. Anything more is gravy
    Michael
    Memoria Press

I agree with Michael that you can skip that part of the review worksheets if you need to. In our classrooms, our teachers do that portion of the Review Worksheets with the students, so they can lead them to the correct answers. I did want to add a note about how important it is to at least introduce the students to the extra derivatives, even if you don't require them to know them. This helps them to start looking at the English language in a different way. It doesn't take long for students to start seeing Latin all over their curriculum, and that is a fun benefit of Latin. I always introduced the extra derivatives when I introduced the vocabulary each week. I would put the Latin words on the board with the meanings, and then we just orally talked about the derivatives. The students soon began coming up with their own derivatives, and that was fun for them. I wasn't requiring the students to memorize all those derivatives; I just used them as a tool to expand their thinking about words.

Tanya

(note -- this is an old-ish thread)
    I'm starting to plan LC for next year and wanted to thank you, Tanya, for sketching out how to approach those extra derivatives and the motivation for doing so.

If anyone else is in LC-planning mode, this thread has another post that's helped me out a lot: Dorinda's breakdown of the work across the week, and her ideas for Ludere Latine work; Ludere Latine really threw me for a loop at first, and I am glad to see a way to approach it (or to save it for summer work, if we can't fit it in).
    Ana, mama to
    ds A, 6th grade
    ds N, 2nd grade