Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 3Blessings
    • May 2016

Course Offerings Question

I'm looking at possibly adding a MPOA course to my daughter's schedule for next year. She will be in 5th grade and I was looking at the Narrative course options. Writing is the one course I am not comfortable with teaching at home. Is there a difference between the two options? One says stage A and the other is stage B. Is it just the times that are different or are the expectations different as well?

Thank you!
    ~Michelle

DD 13 (MP 8 - 4FL and Ref/Con through MPOA)
    DS 11 (MP 6 w/MPOA)
    DS 5 - MP K (My first Kindergartner with MP!!!)
    DD 2 - Board Books and Chaos
  • spiland
    Director, MPOA
    • Jun 2008

Re: Course Offerings Question

Originally posted by 3Blessings
    I'm looking at possibly adding a MPOA course to my daughter's schedule for next year. She will be in 5th grade and I was looking at the Narrative course options. Writing is the one course I am not comfortable with teaching at home. Is there a difference between the two options? One says stage A and the other is stage B. Is it just the times that are different or are the expectations different as well?

Thank you!
    Hi 3Blessings,

Thank you very much for the message. You have a great question and I will be glad to help. Section A and B are two different sections of the same class. The expectations, pace, and requirements for the sections are identical. We offer multiple sections of the same class so that there is some variety (hopefully) with the days and times. In this case both sections of Narrative are on Tuesday/Thursday but the times are different. When a person registers for a class you are choosing the specific time, day, and instructor for the course.

Does this help answer your question? Does it inspire any new ones? If you want to chat about the class feel free to give me a call at the toll-free number below.

Have a great day!

Scott Piland
    Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy
    [email protected]
    (877) 745-8866

Comment

• 3Blessings
      • May 2016

That was exactly what I needed, thank you! I think it was the Stage A and Stage B that threw me, but your explanation was my first thought. I just wanted to be sure.

Last question. I'm sure it depends on the instructor but is there a general guideline of how well children should be typing? I am planning on her doing a typing course over the summer, but I don't think she's ever been on the computer where she had to type anything aside from maybe a random username. I just want to make sure we won't be out of our league if I do enroll her for the fall.
      ~Michelle

DD 13 (MP 8 - 4FL and Ref/Con through MPOA)
      DS 11 (MP 6 w/MPOA)
      DS 5 - MP K (My first Kindergartner with MP!!!)
      DD 2 - Board Books and Chaos

Comment

• spiland
        Director, MPOA
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by 3Blessings
        That was exactly what I needed, thank you! I think it was the Stage A and Stage B that threw me, but your explanation was my first thought. I just wanted to be sure.

Last question. I'm sure it depends on the instructor but is there a general guideline of how well children should be typing? I am planning on her doing a typing course over the summer, but I don't think she's ever been on the computer where she had to type anything aside from maybe a random username. I just want to make sure we won't be out of our league if I do enroll her for the fall.

Hi there!

No problem at all. For younger students the typing is very minimal (no set WPM or anything). A typing course would be fine, as well as some online typing games that you can Google. Students should be able to login to their accounts and type minimally, but a typing course would help with this. There is also a really good resource that many Online Academy parents have mentioned to me personally, and seems similar to what I did in school. Very 'old-school' so to speak, no frills.

I hope this helps

Scott Piland
        Director
        Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Working...