Thread: Material Logic Offerings with MPOA

Default Material Logic Offerings with MPOA

Mr. Piland,

At this point, there is no Material Logic showing up for Spring 2019. I was hoping my son could do Traditional Logic II in the Fall and Material in the Spring. Any chance it could still be in the works and added? As of now it's only offered in the Fall.

Thanks,
    SusanP

Default Re: Material Logic Offerings with MPOA

Quote Originally Posted by SPearson View Post
    Mr. Piland,

At this point, there is no Material Logic showing up for Spring 2019. I was hoping my son could do Traditional Logic II in the Fall and Material in the Spring. Any chance it could still be in the works and added? As of now it's only offered in the Fall.

Thanks,
    SusanP
    Mr. Piland,

A couple of additional questions to add to Susan's. Do you have any updates on when you will have a teacher and time for that fall Material Logic class? My daughter is taking traditional logic 2 this semester. Does material logic need to be taken immediately after TL2 or if it has to wait a year is that a problem? I would never think of having a year off from a subject like Latin, but I didn't know if the same held true for logic. Thank you.
    Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
    DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
    DS 10 - 5M
    DS 5 - K with AAR3

Quote Originally Posted by SPearson View Post
    Mr. Piland,

Thanks,
    SusanP
    Hi Susan,

Glad to help. Material Logic is a Fall only class, so it is likely that no Spring Material Logic class will be offered unless there is a significant demand and I have a teacher lined up.

Scott Piland
    Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2mthj View Post
    Mr. Piland,

A couple of additional questions to add to Susan's. Do you have any updates on when you will have a teacher and time for that fall Material Logic class? My daughter is taking traditional logic 2 this semester. Does material logic need to be taken immediately after TL2 or if it has to wait a year is that a problem? I would never think of having a year off from a subject like Latin, but I didn't know if the same held true for logic. Thank you.
    Hi Dorinda,

Right now I don't have anything solidified for Section B, but hope to have that nailed down in the next few weeks. If Section A works for you currently then I would go with that one since it is concrete and offered. Re taking Material Logic after Logic II, that is what we normally recommend but I have seen it done differently. The most important thing is that the student has taken Logic I and II prior, and if you have to wait a year (for whatever reason), while not ideal it is okay. It really is best to take:

Fall Logic I
    Spring Logic II
    Fall Material Logic
    Spring Classical Rhetoric

Then, that completes the sequence and students can move on. Or, there is also an Informal Logical Fallacies class that most students find helpful. When I used to teach the sequence online I had this happen multiple times with students and it never posed an insurmountable challenge to them. If you do wait a year, I would have your student review Chapter 14 of Logic I and then Chapter 15 of Logic II, both review chapters (potentially Ch. 1, 2, 7-9, and 13 Logic II as well).

Thank you! I hope this helps

Scott Piland
    Director

Quote Originally Posted by spiland View Post
    Hi Dorinda,

Right now I don't have anything solidified for Section B, but hope to have that nailed down in the next few weeks. If Section A works for you currently then I would go with that one since it is concrete and offered. Re taking Material Logic after Logic II, that is what we normally recommend but I have seen it done differently. The most important thing is that the student has taken Logic I and II prior, and if you have to wait a year (for whatever reason), while not ideal it is okay. It really is best to take:

Fall Logic I
    Spring Logic II
    Fall Material Logic
    Spring Classical Rhetoric

Then, that completes the sequence and students can move on. Or, there is also an Informal Logical Fallacies class that most students find helpful. When I used to teach the sequence online I had this happen multiple times with students and it never posed an insurmountable challenge to them. If you do wait a year, I would have your student review Chapter 14 of Logic I and then Chapter 15 of Logic II, both review chapters (potentially Ch. 1, 2, 7-9, and 13 Logic II as well).

Thank you! I hope this helps

Scott Piland
    Director
    Sorry I failed to see that you added a time to material logic, just not a teacher. Thanks for the help. I think Monday will work.

Dorinda
    Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
    DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
    DS 10 - 5M
    DS 5 - K with AAR3

Hi Mr. Piland,

I just wanted to chime in that we are candidates for the 2nd section of Material Logic for this fall. We have a limited internet situation and will be going to the local library for our MPOA Latin classes. The libraries do not open until 9 am.

I'll keep an eye out for the possibility for that second section in the next few weeks. Do you think it will be confirmed before the Ides of March?

Thanks so much,
    Ally

Evan: MP 10th grade, MPOA-4FL, HSComp II, Material Logic, American Govít
    Rachel: MP 9th grade, MPOA-3FL, Trad Logic I & II
    Katie: MP 8th grade, BF American history

Homesteading in Utica, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by kikirev3 View Post
    Hi Mr. Piland,

I just wanted to chime in that we are candidates for the 2nd section of Material Logic for this fall. We have a limited internet situation and will be going to the local library for our MPOA Latin classes. The libraries do not open until 9 am.

I'll keep an eye out for the possibility for that second section in the next few weeks. Do you think it will be confirmed before the Ides of March?

Thanks so much,
    Ally,

We are working to confirm all of the TBA times as quickly as possible, but we can't promise a firm ready-by date as we work with all the teachers individually. As soon as we have confirmation, we update the MPOA website, so keep checking there regularly. Thank you for your patience!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Ally,

We are working to confirm all of the TBA times as quickly as possible, but we can't promise a firm ready-by date as we work with all the teachers individually. As soon as we have confirmation, we update the MPOA website, so keep checking there regularly. Thank you for your patience!
    Ally,
    The second section is up: T- 10:00-11:30 EST Fall
    Katie

2018/2019 6th year homeschooling, 5th with MP
    DS 14: 9 MPOA Latin & Writing, co-op
    DD 11: MP 6A, MPOA Latin
    DD 8: MP 2
    Twin DD's 6: MPK

Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Ally,
    The second section is up: T- 10:00-11:30 EST Fall
    Thank you for checking and sharing, Katie!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Thank you for checking and sharing, Katie!
    You bet! Iím currently in Schedule Land.
    Katie

2018/2019 6th year homeschooling, 5th with MP
    DS 14: 9 MPOA Latin & Writing, co-op
    DD 11: MP 6A, MPOA Latin
    DD 8: MP 2
    Twin DD's 6: MPK