Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: My son's future Latin choices

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    280

    Default My son's future Latin choices

    Hi All,

    I could really use some advice on this, hopefully from MP staff, veteran moms, etc.

    My son will be wrapping up Henle 2/Caesar this year with MPOA (9th grade.) If it were up to him, he'd be done with Latin so he could just move on to other studies, especially another language. But I told him he needs to continue next year. Our choice is to move on to Henle 3/Cicero or do the AP Latin class. Either way, my son wants to be done after that so that he can then spend 11th/12th studying another language. There was a time when I would have completely understood and maybe even moved on from Latin by now. We are late in the game to MP and understanding the philosophy behind so many years of Latin study. So now I'm more in line with MP's philosophy but my son is so done with it. He does have a talent for it, has done very well last year and this year with his MPOA classes. I continue dialoguing with him the different ways of looking at this, the differing pro's/con's, etc.

    What would you do? I really don't want his high school years to be drudgery. There needs to be a good amount of his studies that make him excited to learn. Otherwise I am most certain I will feel I failed as a homeschool mom by the time he graduates. I have reviewed the HLS scope/sequence and see that those students do move onto Cicero and then onto AP Latin and THEN onto Ovid. Perhaps they've all just caught the 'love of all things Latin' bug.

    I'm feeling quite burdened by these decisions, mainly because he's now a high schooler and these decisions really do affect so many things in his life.

    Thanks for any advice you have,
    SusanP

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,888

    Default Re: My son's future Latin choices

    Quote Originally Posted by SPearson View Post
    Hi All,

    I could really use some advice on this, hopefully from MP staff, veteran moms, etc.

    My son will be wrapping up Henle 2/Caesar this year with MPOA (9th grade.) If it were up to him, he'd be done with Latin so he could just move on to other studies, especially another language. But I told him he needs to continue next year. Our choice is to move on to Henle 3/Cicero or do the AP Latin class. Either way, my son wants to be done after that so that he can then spend 11th/12th studying another language. There was a time when I would have completely understood and maybe even moved on from Latin by now. We are late in the game to MP and understanding the philosophy behind so many years of Latin study. So now I'm more in line with MP's philosophy but my son is so done with it. He does have a talent for it, has done very well last year and this year with his MPOA classes. I continue dialoguing with him the different ways of looking at this, the differing pro's/con's, etc.

    What would you do? I really don't want his high school years to be drudgery. There needs to be a good amount of his studies that make him excited to learn. Otherwise I am most certain I will feel I failed as a homeschool mom by the time he graduates. I have reviewed the HLS scope/sequence and see that those students do move onto Cicero and then onto AP Latin and THEN onto Ovid. Perhaps they've all just caught the 'love of all things Latin' bug.

    I'm feeling quite burdened by these decisions, mainly because he's now a high schooler and these decisions really do affect so many things in his life.

    Thanks for any advice you have,
    SusanP
    Personally, I loved AP Latin, but it is very challenging. If you feel a challenge is something that will motivate him and he will rise to it, then AP could work as a capstone to his Latin studies. However, if he is determined to dislike Latin and you simply want to make this final Latin class as painless as possible, Cicero will be easier than AP. (Your son might also enjoy Cicero's rhetoric as he attacks Catiline.)

    I'm sure other moms will chime in soon with the parenting perspective.

    HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    280

    Default Re: My son's future Latin choices

    Thanks Michael. Can you tell me more about what makes the AP Latin so challenging? Any more specifics? One of the reasons I considered the AP Latin for him is to spread out the AP classes, getting one of them checked off the list in 10th grade as opposed to stacked up with others in 11th and 12th. (Although I only envision AP for Latin, History, Lit ....NOT for science. HaHa)

    SusanP

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,888

    Default Re: My son's future Latin choices

    Quote Originally Posted by SPearson View Post
    Thanks Michael. Can you tell me more about what makes the AP Latin so challenging? Any more specifics? One of the reasons I considered the AP Latin for him is to spread out the AP classes, getting one of them checked off the list in 10th grade as opposed to stacked up with others in 11th and 12th. (Although I only envision AP for Latin, History, Lit ....NOT for science. HaHa)

    SusanP
    In my opinion, the primary difficulty is the poetry of Virgil, the variety of skills required (reading Latin, translating Latin, and analyzing in English), and the amount of content. Caveat: the exam has changed form when I took it, and different students will struggle with different aspects. The MPOA class description gives a good idea of what to expect regarding Virgil: https://www.memoriapressacademy.com/...ename=ap-latin
    Michael
    Memoria Press

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    280

    Default Re: My son's future Latin choices

    Thanks Michael. You've given me much to consider. Yes, I was aware of the class description for the AP Latin class as I've read it multiple times, comparing to the Cicero class. I just needed more specifics of what made the AP Latin so challenging and you've given some good feedback.

    I'm now realizing ever more so how challenging these decisions are when you take into consideration future courses of study in high school and college, potential majors, college requirements (some may not like seeing a transcript reflecting an abandonment of Latin after 10th grade), etc. I'm sure it will all become more clear over the coming months.


    SusanP

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    994

    Default Re: My son's future Latin choices

    Quote Originally Posted by SPearson View Post
    I'm now realizing ever more so how challenging these decisions are when you take into consideration future courses of study in high school and college, potential majors, college requirements (some may not like seeing a transcript reflecting an abandonment of Latin after 10th grade), etc.
    I think you can rest easy on this. Most kids have no Latin at all in high school so I can't think of any college that would look down on someone who "only" took it in 9th and 10th!

    What is he thinking about doing in the future?
    Jennifer

    2017-2018
    DS-13 & DS-14 (mix of 6M & 8M)
    DS-11 (5M)
    DS-9 (SC2)
    DD-7 (MP1)
    DD-5 (SC1)
    DD-3 (Preschool)

    2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Algebra I, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

Similar Threads

  1. What are my choices for starting Latin in 11th grade?
    By Nancy Ann in forum 9-12 Curriculum Board
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-22-2018, 02:55 PM
  2. Math Choices
    By home4good in forum 9-12 Curriculum Board
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-30-2017, 07:03 PM
  3. Curriculum Choices
    By SarahH in forum K-8 Curriculum Board
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-10-2015, 10:31 PM
  4. History choices
    By gracedays in forum K-8 Curriculum Board
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-27-2012, 12:17 PM
  5. My curriculum choices
    By sheba in forum K-8 Curriculum Board
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-26-2012, 11:19 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •