Thread: 5 year old & math

Default 5 year old & math

Good morning!

My 5 year old who will turn 6 in June is working his way through SC level C. The curriculum has been spot on for him. I knew math was his stronger subject and didnít think the numbers book was challenging him. Until today I didnít realize how strong he was in math. After drilling his sister on her math flashcards, he asked for a turn. He did 35 of the 0-9 flashcards in under 2 minutes and only missed one (9+5).

Do I keep going in numbers part 2? What should I do next year?

Thanks!
    Heidi
    Heidi

2018-19
    dd- 3m
    ds- SC 1
    dd- SC B

Default Re: 5 year old & math

Hi, Heidi!

You could continue in Numbers 2, because his strengths may lie in rote memory rather than full comprehension of concepts. Numbers 2 will also give him the additional fine-motor practice he may need.

Another option if you do not mind the juggling: You could start SC 1 R&S Arithmetic 1, part 1, now with the SC lesson plans. You could add Numbers 2 (since you already own it) for extra practice. If you jump to R&S 1, take it at the SC pace and resist the temptation to move too quickly. R&S 1 seems easy but solidifies needed facts, concepts, and skills. Teach from the visual aids as described in SC 1 Arithmetic for concept development.

I think you're seeing the beauty of a one room school house. The younger children are exposed to high-level concepts before they're expected to master it themselves.

I would continue on with Book 2 and move to R&S 1 next year with the plans. The rest of the SC-C curriculum is spot on for him, you say, that's the indicator to stay at this pace.
    Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
    DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
    DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

I was thinking about staying with Book 2 and sticking with the plans. I donít want any gaps and want to find that sweet spot of teaching at his instructional leve, not his independent or frustrational level.

I also love the ease of having lesson plans in one book and quickly gathering what we need for that day. I recognize this as my own laziness and donít want that to be the deciding factor.

I know this is a good problem and am appreciating it for a change. Is there any concern of just continuing with Book 2 and starting Rod and Staff next year?
    Heidi

2018-19
    dd- 3m
    ds- SC 1
    dd- SC B

No concern at all! By SC 1 his fine-motor skills will be stronger anyway.

It is always easier to enrich (math puzzles, games, counting books) than to remediate. And, as you said, everything will coordinate for him next year in the lesson plans.

You can stay the course and simply enjoy his aptitude in this area!

I can never help myself from jumping in on a math thread!
    I just wanted to suggest that you keep doing what you are doing since it is working so well for him - stick with the plan and don't intentionally add anything. If you want to add at this age, I'd suggest books like the Anno books by Mitsumasa Anno. They are deceptively simple counting picture books that develop big discrete math ideas. Or the Sir Cumference picture book series is also a good one for introducing big math ideas in a fun way. He'd enjoy the stories and pictures about a knight and gradually pick up math concepts too.
    DD 14
    DD 16

Quote Originally Posted by klwalukas View Post
    I can never help myself from jumping in on a math thread!
    I just wanted to suggest that you keep doing what you are doing since it is working so well for him - stick with the plan and don't intentionally add anything. If you want to add at this age, I'd suggest books like the Anno books by Mitsumasa Anno. They are deceptively simple counting picture books that develop big discrete math ideas. Or the Sir Cumference picture book series is also a good one for introducing big math ideas in a fun way. He'd enjoy the stories and pictures about a knight and gradually pick up math concepts too.
    Klwaslukas,

Thank you for the book suggestions and to stay the course. It can be hard to know when to push and when to keep on the journey. Iím an impatient person so I appreciate everyoneís encouragement to stay the course. Iíve put some of them on hold at the library in the meantime. We love good books!

Heidi
    Heidi

2018-19
    dd- 3m
    ds- SC 1
    dd- SC B