Thread: Third Form Latin

Default Third Form Latin

Student Text Lesson 14, page 49, Vocabulary: It says, "ordo ordinis" is masculine and points out that it's an exception to the norm, but the video and the flash cards say that it's feminine.

Student Workbook, page 114, Drill D, #11: It says, "navigemus." Shouldn't it say, "navigamus?"

I also have a question. Are possessive pronouns (mine, yours, his, hers, its, ours, yours, theirs) taught?
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 23, graduated
    ds 22, graduated
    dd 14, 8th Grade
    dd 11, 5th Grade
    ds 9, 3nd Grade

Default Re: Third Form Latin

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
    Student Text Lesson 14, page 49, Vocabulary: It says, "ordo ordinis" is masculine and points out that it's an exception to the norm, but the video and the flash cards say that it's feminine.

Student Workbook, page 114, Drill D, #11: It says, "navigemus." Shouldn't it say, "navigamus?"

I also have a question. Are possessive pronouns (mine, yours, his, hers, its, ours, yours, theirs) taught?
    Good morning,

1. The Student Text is correct.

2. "Navigemus" is the 1st person present subjunctive while "navigamus" is the 1st person present indicative. The present subjunctive will be taught in Unit 4 of Third Form, so even if it's correct (My books are at the office.), we still need to change it. Thanks!

3. The 1st and 2nd person possessive pronouns were taught in Second Form Latin. The 3rd person ones will be taught in Unit 3 of Third Form.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Good morning,

1. The Student Text is correct.

2. "Navigemus" is the 1st person present subjunctive while "navigamus" is the 1st person present indicative. The present subjunctive will be taught in Unit 4 of Third Form, so even if it's correct (My books are at the office.), we still need to change it. Thanks!

3. The 1st and 2nd person possessive pronouns were taught in Second Form Latin. The 3rd person ones will be taught in Unit 3 of Third Form.
    Thank you. Regarding #3, my daughter is wondering if there are words (possessive pronouns) that can be used as the subject of a sentence. For example, "Mine is on the table," (mine is the subject) vs. "My book is on the table." (my is modifying book). She just looked through Second Form and the genitive of the first and second personal pronouns are translated "of me," "of us," "of you," and "of you all" and don't show possession (more like a prepositional phrase in English). Is she missing something?
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 23, graduated
    ds 22, graduated
    dd 14, 8th Grade
    dd 11, 5th Grade
    ds 9, 3nd Grade

Thank you. Regarding #3, my daughter is wondering if there are words (possessive pronouns) that can be used as the subject of a sentence. For example, "Mine is on the table," (mine is the subject) vs. "My book is on the table." (my is modifying book). She just looked through Second Form and the genitive of the first and second personal pronouns are translated "of me," "of us," "of you," and "of you all" and don't show possession (more like a prepositional phrase in English). Is she missing something?
    The possessive pronoun adjectives, like other adjectives, can be used as nouns. When used as a noun, the possessive pronoun adjective will agree in gender and number with whatever the expressed noun would have been. For example:

• Mater: "Ubi, puellae, sunt libri vestri?" ("Girls, where are your books?")
    • Prima Puella: "Meus est sub mensa!" ("Mine is under the table!")

In this example, the adjective "meus" is being used as a noun and is translated "mine." "Meus" is masculine singular because the implied noun is "liber" ("book"). "Meus" does not agree with the antecedent, the female speaker. Does that make sense?
    Michael
    Memoria Press

The possessive pronoun adjectives, like other adjectives, can be used as nouns. When used as a noun, the possessive pronoun adjective will agree in gender and number with whatever the expressed noun would have been. For example:

• Mater: "Ubi, puellae, sunt libri vestri?" ("Girls, where are your books?")
    • Prima Puella: "Meus est sub mensa!" ("Mine is under the table!")

In this example, the adjective "meus" is being used as a noun and is translated "mine." "Meus" is masculine singular because the implied noun is "liber" ("book"). "Meus" does not agree with the antecedent, the female speaker. Does that make sense?
    Thank you so much! She said that is exactly what she wanted to know and how she guessed it would be done, but she wasn't sure. Do you know if it's ever taught in this manner somewhere in the series?
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 23, graduated
    ds 22, graduated
    dd 14, 8th Grade
    dd 11, 5th Grade
    ds 9, 3nd Grade

Thank you so much! She said that is exactly what she wanted to know and how she guessed it would be done, but she wasn't sure. Do you know if it's ever taught in this manner somewhere in the series?
    You're welcome!

Adjectives used as nouns were taught back in Unit 2 of TFL, I think around Lesson 8.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

You're welcome!

Adjectives used as nouns were taught back in Unit 2 of TFL, I think around Lesson 8.
    Thanks! She was confused because it didn't explicitly say what the translation would be.
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 23, graduated
    ds 22, graduated
    dd 14, 8th Grade
    dd 11, 5th Grade
    ds 9, 3nd Grade