Thread: Need an alternative movement activity

Default Need an alternative movement activity

E (5yo) is very confused by the sit down/stand up game, but she needs the practice for differentiating short and long vowel sounds. I'm not sure she can do the Hot Potato game either. Are there any other games/activities we could use to help her differentiate these sounds?
    Jennifer

2017-2018
    DS-13 & DS-14 (mix of 6M & 8M)
    DS-11 (5M)
    DS-9 (SC2)
    DD-7 (MP1)
    DD-5 (SC1)
    DD-3 (Preschool)

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Algebra I, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

Default Re: Need an alternative movement activity

Hi, Jen. At 5, she is a little younger than most SC 1 students. I wonder if she needs to be playing any discrimination game at this age. When you ask her if a sound is short, does she know? It might be the actual discrimination task, rather than the game format, that is a little beyond where she needs to be.

However, if she consistently identifies "short" and "long" in isolated words, and you want only to practice this, a simple game could be called "Shout Out." Rapid-fire, you say a short-vowel word. She shouts, "Short!" You say a long-vowel word. She shouts, "Long!" Continue mixing short, long in random patterns. (No hot potato or standing/sitting needed. )

Quote Originally Posted by cherylswope View Post
    Hi, Jen. At 5, she is a little younger than most SC 1 students. I wonder if she needs to be playing any discrimination game at this age. When you ask her if a sound is short, does she know? It might be the actual discrimination task, rather than the game format, that is a little beyond where she needs to be.

However, if she consistently identifies "short" and "long" in isolated words, and you want only to practice this, a simple game could be called "Shout Out." Rapid-fire, you say a short-vowel word. She shouts, "Short!" You say a long-vowel word. She shouts, "Long!" Continue mixing short, long in random patterns. (No hot potato or standing/sitting needed. )
    I should have mentioned that she'll be 6 in a month and a half; but that might still be young. Sometimes she can tell me whether a word is using a long or short sound, other times she can't. We just started Book D and she's doing fine in the book but when we take it to the abstract with only spoken words she gets lost. She doesn't have any auditory processing issues though.
    Jennifer

2017-2018
    DS-13 & DS-14 (mix of 6M & 8M)
    DS-11 (5M)
    DS-9 (SC2)
    DD-7 (MP1)
    DD-5 (SC1)
    DD-3 (Preschool)

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Algebra I, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

Quote Originally Posted by jen1134 View Post
    Sometimes she can tell me whether a word is using a long or short sound, other times she can't. We just started Book D and she's doing fine in the book but when we take it to the abstract with only spoken words she gets lost. She doesn't have any auditory processing issues though.
    Then I would wait. As long as she is doing well in the book, she is doing well!