Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: MPOA Highschool Science

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Foristell, MO
    Posts
    644

    Default MPOA Highschool Science

    If I were to chose one of the highschool science course for my son to take online, which would be the best? In other words, what course should I reserve for online instruction and then complete the rest of his science with me at home?
    Katie

    2017/2018 Fifth year homeschooling, Fourth with MP
    DS 13: MP 8, E. Greek MPOA: Henle, Logic II, Alg I, MS Comp II
    DD 10: MP 5A, E. Greek
    DD 7: Mix of SC2, MP1
    Twin DD's 4: MP K

    "God doesn't look at how much we do, but with how much love we do it" -St. Teresa of Calcutta

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    721

    Default Re: MPOA Highschool Science

    Katie,

    I think some of that answer will depend on your background. I have a mechanical engineering degree, so we are using the Novare ASPC book at home this year. We aren't very far into the book, but it isn't bad yet. I might recommend the introductory physics text as it uses the same experiments for the physics portion and doesn't overlap with the chemistry book. Memoria Press now has streaming videos for biology (but lesson plans/tests/study guide aren't quite ready) so there is help coming for biology. Chemistry is where I plan to have my daughter take an online science class. I say that because I don't see homeschool helps from MP for chemistry in time for your son or my daughter given how much time it has taken to develop the biology program. I haven't had chemistry since freshman year in college so I think my daughter will get much more out of chemistry with someone who has had time to prepare explain it to them. I think classes for any of the sciences would be good, but another two day/week class didn't fit into our schedule this year.
    Dorinda

    DD 14 - 9M with Geometry, MPOA(Henle 2, Comp3), Lukeion Greek2
    DS 12 - core 7M with Henle 1
    DS 8 - core 3A/4A
    DS 4 - loving life with AAR1

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Foristell, MO
    Posts
    644

    Default Re: MPOA Highschool Science

    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2mthj View Post
    Katie,

    I think some of that answer will depend on your background. I have a mechanical engineering degree, so we are using the Novare ASPC book at home this year. We aren't very far into the book, but it isn't bad yet. I might recommend the introductory physics text as it uses the same experiments for the physics portion and doesn't overlap with the chemistry book. Memoria Press now has streaming videos for biology (but lesson plans/tests/study guide aren't quite ready) so there is help coming for biology. Chemistry is where I plan to have my daughter take an online science class. I say that because I don't see homeschool helps from MP for chemistry in time for your son or my daughter given how much time it has taken to develop the biology program. I haven't had chemistry since freshman year in college so I think my daughter will get much more out of chemistry with someone who has had time to prepare explain it to them. I think classes for any of the sciences would be good, but another two day/week class didn't fit into our schedule this year.
    Dorinda,
    Thanks for your thoughts. I certainly do not have a physics background with my Research Psych degree. I will do much better with Biology and A&P. However, my son has a big interest and talent in understanding physics and engineering and I see him going that path post highschool if he doesnt go to seminary. So Id like to be sure to have him well prepared, just in case. Id prefer he do ASPC course over the Intro Class, staying in line with Novare suggested Accelerated science and Math sequence, but I want to be able to help him if need be. Hmmm. Ill have to think about this.

    Thanks!
    Last edited by Katie; 01-11-2018 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Silly auto correct
    Katie

    2017/2018 Fifth year homeschooling, Fourth with MP
    DS 13: MP 8, E. Greek MPOA: Henle, Logic II, Alg I, MS Comp II
    DD 10: MP 5A, E. Greek
    DD 7: Mix of SC2, MP1
    Twin DD's 4: MP K

    "God doesn't look at how much we do, but with how much love we do it" -St. Teresa of Calcutta

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Goodlettsville, TN
    Posts
    3,369

    Default Re: MPOA Highschool Science

    Katie,
    Do you have any local resources for high school science? Tutorial? Dual-enrollment? Can he take a math/science class at a local private school? Do you know anyone else in this pinch with whom you could trade homeschool teaching duties? Just trying to help brainstorm options. For me the issue is both my background and the time needed to prep/teach. Even if I could do a class, I have to judge if it will realistically get done (and how well) if we do it at home.

    If I recall you are going to be mobile, right? I'm sure that changes everything.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

    2017-2018
    DS: MPOA 4FLatin, 8A // DD: 6A // DD: 3A // DS: K

    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
    www.nashvillelatinschool.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Foristell, MO
    Posts
    644

    Default Re: MPOA Highschool Science

    Quote Originally Posted by pickandgrin View Post
    Katie,
    Do you have any local resources for high school science? Tutorial? Dual-enrollment? Can he take a math/science class at a local private school? Do you know anyone else in this pinch with whom you could trade homeschool teaching duties? Just trying to help brainstorm options. For me the issue is both my background and the time needed to prep/teach. Even if I could do a class, I have to judge if it will realistically get done (and how well) if we do it at home.

    If I recall you are going to be mobile, right? I'm sure that changes everything.
    Good morning, Jessica!

    Thanks for brainstorming with me. We have considered dual enrollment at our local Community College his junior and senior year for those higher level classes, but it does depend where we are and if we are mobile. You bring up a good point about teaching and prep. I do need to think about my prep time in what seems to be an already stretched thin day of teaching.
    Katie

    2017/2018 Fifth year homeschooling, Fourth with MP
    DS 13: MP 8, E. Greek MPOA: Henle, Logic II, Alg I, MS Comp II
    DD 10: MP 5A, E. Greek
    DD 7: Mix of SC2, MP1
    Twin DD's 4: MP K

    "God doesn't look at how much we do, but with how much love we do it" -St. Teresa of Calcutta

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    721

    Default Re: MPOA Highschool Science

    Katie,

    If biology is your personal strength I would suggest starting there instead of the introductory physics book (or ASPC). ASPC and physics first is great, but realistically it does add in an extra year to a typical high school science sequence. What I really like about Novare is they pare the material down to a level that kids can actually master in a year. As much as I love science it tends to go a bit slower around here because it requires more of my time. I would suggest purchasing the MP streaming video even though you could teach it. I think Tanya said the biology guide would be done by fall. Your time is valuable and those videos will help him keep on track even if you are busy. We used something similar for algebra for similar reasons...my daughter didn't want to have to wait around for a lesson. We did a biology lab intensive this fall with college prep science (formerly Landry academy) for biology because they were in our area and it was important to me that she have some hands on experience for labs. Chemistry through MPOA could be a good fit. I don't know that he needs the advanced track for chemistry. I would spend the physics time on a trig based year and a Calc based year. You have a bit of time to figure those out ;-)
    Dorinda

    DD 14 - 9M with Geometry, MPOA(Henle 2, Comp3), Lukeion Greek2
    DS 12 - core 7M with Henle 1
    DS 8 - core 3A/4A
    DS 4 - loving life with AAR1

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    321

    Default Re: MPOA Highschool Science

    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2mthj View Post
    Katie,

    I think some of that answer will depend on your background. I have a mechanical engineering degree, so we are using the Novare ASPC book at home this year. We aren't very far into the book, but it isn't bad yet. I might recommend the introductory physics text as it uses the same experiments for the physics portion and doesn't overlap with the chemistry book. Memoria Press now has streaming videos for biology (but lesson plans/tests/study guide aren't quite ready) so there is help coming for biology. Chemistry is where I plan to have my daughter take an online science class. I say that because I don't see homeschool helps from MP for chemistry in time for your son or my daughter given how much time it has taken to develop the biology program. I haven't had chemistry since freshman year in college so I think my daughter will get much more out of chemistry with someone who has had time to prepare explain it to them. I think classes for any of the sciences would be good, but another two day/week class didn't fit into our schedule this year.
    The MPOA Chemistry teacher is excellent! She tutored my daughter in chemistry, and she teaches at HLS-Indy. I overhear her teaching the MPOA course and she is terrific. Highly recommend!
    Last edited by Cindy in Indy; 01-12-2018 at 11:18 AM.
    Cindy Davis
    Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
    ds-23 college graduate: working, reading, writing
    ds-22 college senior: Biology/German double-major, applying to med school
    dd-20 college sophomore: Nursing

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    321

    Default Re: MPOA Highschool Science

    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2mthj View Post
    Katie,

    If biology is your personal strength I would suggest starting there instead of the introductory physics book (or ASPC). ASPC and physics first is great, but realistically it does add in an extra year to a typical high school science sequence. What I really like about Novare is they pare the material down to a level that kids can actually master in a year. As much as I love science it tends to go a bit slower around here because it requires more of my time. I would suggest purchasing the MP streaming video even though you could teach it. I think Tanya said the biology guide would be done by fall. Your time is valuable and those videos will help him keep on track even if you are busy. We used something similar for algebra for similar reasons...my daughter didn't want to have to wait around for a lesson. We did a biology lab intensive this fall with college prep science (formerly Landry academy) for biology because they were in our area and it was important to me that she have some hands on experience for labs. Chemistry through MPOA could be a good fit. I don't know that he needs the advanced track for chemistry. I would spend the physics time on a trig based year and a Calc based year. You have a bit of time to figure those out ;-)
    I second this recommendation. Since your son has a "big interest and talent in understanding physics and engineering", and there is not a course (DVD streaming or online) for ASPC yet, I would pass on Introductory Physics (and ASPC) and move to the biology, chemistry, advanced physics sequence, perhaps using community college in 11th and 12th grade to boost his support.
    Last edited by Cindy in Indy; 01-12-2018 at 11:16 AM.
    Cindy Davis
    Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
    ds-23 college graduate: working, reading, writing
    ds-22 college senior: Biology/German double-major, applying to med school
    dd-20 college sophomore: Nursing

Similar Threads

  1. Novare Earth Science: MPOA class planned?
    By hermione310 in forum Online Academy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2017, 02:45 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-28-2015, 08:36 AM
  3. abeka highschool math
    By 6girls1boy in forum 9-12 Curriculum Board
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-20-2015, 08:03 AM
  4. Help planning highschool
    By LanceH in forum 9-12 Curriculum Board
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-10-2012, 02:15 PM
  5. Can First Form Latin be used for Highschool Credit?
    By dcwygant in forum 9-12 Curriculum Board
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 02:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •