Thread: TFL, Unit I Review

Default TFL, Unit I Review

I had two questions on p 49.

On Translation C #7, the city was held by the enemy. It is translated as "Urbs ab hostibus tenta est." Why is it hostibus and not hoste?

On Translation D #3, Think with your head and heart. It is translated "Puta capite cordeque." Why is there no need for cum?

Thanks.

Default Re: TFL, Unit I Review

Quote Originally Posted by taschap View Post
    I had two questions on p 49.

On Translation C #7, the city was held by the enemy. It is translated as "Urbs ab hostibus tenta est." Why is it hostibus and not hoste?

On Translation D #3, Think with your head and heart. It is translated "Puta capite cordeque." Why is there no need for cum?

Thanks.
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that it is hostibus because enemy is meant to be read as a plural. Like, "We shall attack the enemy at dawn" doesn't mean an enemy, but rather a collective enemy.

The second sentence doesn't require cum because it is an ablative of means or instrument construction answering the question "by what means is the action of the verb being accomplished?" So it could be translated as, "Think by means of your head and heart."

I hope this helps.

Default Re: TFL, Unit I Review

Quote Originally Posted by Heather K View Post
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that it is hostibus because enemy is meant to be read as a plural. Like, "We shall attack the enemy at dawn" doesn't mean an enemy, but rather a collective enemy.

The second sentence doesn't require cum because it is an ablative of means or instrument construction answering the question "by what means is the action of the verb being accomplished?" So it could be translated as, "Think by means of your head and heart."

I hope this helps.
    Perfect explanation, Heather!

OP, if you'd like to see where these rules were first taught, see SFL Lesson 5 (specifically Section 3 of the Teacher Manual) for "hostes" and SFL Lesson 24 for the ablative of means.
    Michael
    Memoria Press