Thread: New Music Appreciation curriculum - Full pieces?

Default New Music Appreciation curriculum - Full pieces?

I am very excited about the new Music Appreciation curriculum by Patrick Fata. But I am a little stumped by something that should seem obvious.

The CDs seem to contain the small example snipets of music used through out the book, but not the actual full pieces studied. Is there someplace where all of the pieces are collected, or are we on our own to find them?

Thanks,
    Colleen

Default Re: New Music Appreciation curriculum - Full pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by cheubaum View Post
    I am very excited about the new Music Appreciation curriculum by Patrick Fata. But I am a little stumped by something that should seem obvious.

The CDs seem to contain the small example snipets of music used through out the book, but not the actual full pieces studied. Is there someplace where all of the pieces are collected, or are we on our own to find them?

Thanks,
    Colleen
    Due to all of the copyrights involved, making a physical CD of the full pieces is prohibitively expensive, but we are working to create Spotify/iTunes playlists as we did for Music Enrichment: Kindergarten - Second Grade.

HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Good morning,

And the list is ready (minus a few YouTube links that are coming soon)! Here is the link: https://www.memoriapress.com/music-app-i/
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Wow! How did I miss this?

What grades is this for?
    Cathy aka The Attached Mama
    2018-2019
    DS 11---MP 5M, IEW, Spelling Plus, AOPS Pre-Algebra, MathCounts, Elemental Biology II, Speech Team
    DD 10---MP 4M, IEW, Latina Christiana (two-year pace), Spelling Plus, AOPS Pre-Algebra, MathCounts, Elemental Biology II, Speech Team
    DS 4 (almost 5)--MP Junior kindergarten, Myself and Others, "I See Sam" Readers, Singapore/Rightstart Math
    (Now we will watch as I start subtracting subjects off my signature. ha!)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttachedMama View Post
    Wow! How did I miss this?

What grades is this for?
    I seem to have missed it, too!

Here's a link to the Music Appreciation set, for those who are curious ... I'm also wondering about the suggested grade/age range.
    Ana, mama to
    ds A, 7A
    ds N, 3A

Thank you for posting that, Ana! These new things are so exciting but they seem to sneak in on us! Another thing to add to my list for next year....

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2018-2019
    DD 17 - 12th || DS 15 - 10th || DD 13 - 8th || DD 11 - 6th || DD 9 - 4th
    DD 6 - 1st || DD 4 - mix of 1st & JrK || +DS, 2-21-16+ || DS 7 months

Quote Originally Posted by serendipitous journey View Post
    I seem to have missed it, too!

Here's a link to the Music Appreciation set, for those who are curious ... I'm also wondering about the suggested grade/age range.
    I went and pulled open my (new!) catalog and see that it is listed as grade 6+. So probably a little too old for my kiddos.

Before moving to Memoria Press, we did a lot more art and music appreciation. I really miss learning about those subjects alongside my children. Something about the shorter days of winter makes me want to add more art and music to our days! However, realistically, I haven't found a good way to add that back to our days without overloading us. Soon my youngest will be in grade K and I can have the whole family tag along with his enrichment....but I'm not sure what to do in the meantime.
    2018-2019
    DS 11---MP 5M, IEW, Spelling Plus, AOPS Pre-Algebra, MathCounts, Elemental Biology II, Speech Team
    DD 10---MP 4M, IEW, Latina Christiana (two-year pace), Spelling Plus, AOPS Pre-Algebra, MathCounts, Elemental Biology II, Speech Team
    DS 4 (almost 5)--MP Junior kindergarten, Myself and Others, "I See Sam" Readers, Singapore/Rightstart Math

Soon my youngest will be in grade K and I can have the whole family tag along with his enrichment....but I'm not sure what to do in the meantime.
    I don't currently have anyone in K-2 either, but I bought a set of 1st grade art cards to tide us over this year and would like to add in the music as well. Next year my youngest will do K so I'll get those cards then. We just do the art cards every morning as part of our time together before we start school. We add a new one to the stack every week and I just flip through them like flashcards for us all to identify. It just takes a few minutes but has been tons of fun and I love that the kids can recognize styles as related to specific artists and that they are familiar with many famous works we see while out and about.
    2018/2019
    Dd 12: MP 7A and First Form Greek
    Ds 10: MP 5M
    Ds 5: MP K

I went and pulled open my (new!) catalog and see that it is listed as grade 6+. So probably a little too old for my kiddos.

Before moving to Memoria Press, we did a lot more art and music appreciation. I really miss learning about those subjects alongside my children. Something about the shorter days of winter makes me want to add more art and music to our days! However, realistically, I haven't found a good way to add that back to our days without overloading us. Soon my youngest will be in grade K and I can have the whole family tag along with his enrichment....but I'm not sure what to do in the meantime.
    What did you use before?

I'm just picking this up again. In the past I've based us off one of the Harmony Fine Arts plans, and at lunch we look and discuss the week's picture (using Wikiart or something similar) then watch a Youtube performance (or animated video -- we did this with some opera) for a few minutes at a time. I'd try to read from an artist/musician biography once a week. That worked well in the past, but it doesn't flow as easily now that I have other lunchtime readings/science videos & the boys would be in two different programs. I'm trying something like that now though -- at the moment, we're doing at at afternoon snack (aka "teatime").

The art is the Codex Aureus of St. Emmeram this week, and I think we'll be watching this short section of Gregorian chant (this clip meets my plainchant starter requirements for being a live performance, not too long, having clear sound, being performed without instruments, AND it features Asian singers including a woman which is a nice way to make the universal nature of plainchant very concrete).

ETA: I don't know enough about Medieval art to pick these things out; the art I found at this website and the music was inspired by this study.com course I'm trialing.
    Last edited by serendipitous journey; 01-11-2018 at 06:35 PM.
    Ana, mama to
    ds A, 7A
    ds N, 3A

Quote Originally Posted by serendipitous journey View Post
    What did you use before?

I'm just picking this up again. In the past I've based us off one of the Harmony Fine Arts plans, and at lunch we look and discuss the week's picture (using Wikiart or something similar) then watch a Youtube performance (or animated video -- we did this with some opera) for a few minutes at a time. I'd try to read from an artist/musician biography once a week. That worked well in the past, but it doesn't flow as easily now that I have other lunchtime readings/science videos & the boys would be in two different programs. I'm trying something like that now though -- at the moment, we're doing at at afternoon snack (aka "teatime").

The art is the Codex Aureus of St. Emmeram this week, and I think we'll be watching this short section of Gregorian chant (this clip meets my plainchant starter requirements for being a live performance, not too long, having clear sound, being performed without instruments, AND it features Asian singers including a woman which is a nice way to make the universal nature of plainchant very concrete).

ETA: I don't know enough about Medieval art to pick these things out; the art I found at this website and the music was inspired by this study.com course I'm trialing.
    Wow! Can I be in your homeschool? I want an afternoon tea with art and music!

We used Harmony Fine Arts for a year when my oldest two were younger. We really liked it! Then, we moved on to using a lot of Simply Charlotte Mason products (their enrichment studies volume 1 spread over 2 years). And I know that I could go back to using that...I just haven't found a good routine to actually fit it in. We do school everyday from 7AM to 1:30PM. (With lunch break.) And then I give the kids an hour or two to play while I grade their work. Then, my plan has been to send everyone to their room for some quiet reading. (Not happening.) Then, gather everyone together for some tea, a snack, and some enrichment. (Not happening) Finally, quick family clean up before my husband gets home from work. (That is happening.)

My problem is that the kids never want to stop playing in the afternoon to go read or talk with mama about art! And I am never very strict about making it happen. I go back and forth about whether free play or a family study is more important.
    2018-2019

Wow! Can I be in your homeschool?
    that made me laugh out loud, and the boys stopped working to find out why! I want to be in that homeschool, too! We ought to start a cottage tea-time school for classical ed parents

It is always a balance, isn't it? We'll see how well I keep up the arts this year. I do like how MP is making it so that all the children can do the art enrichment regardless of what year they are.

I _think_ that the music appreciation parallels the enrichment for the earlier years, and gives a deeper exposure ... does anybody know if this is true?
    Ana, mama to
    ds A, 7A
    ds N, 3A

Music Appreciation does use a selection of the K-2 music. It is really an introductory theory course. Patrick Fata is also working on a grammar school course that will revisit the same pieces over the grammar school years that will be more of a music history course.

Tanya

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    Music Appreciation does use a selection of the K-2 music. It is really an introductory theory course. Patrick Fata is also working on a grammar school course that will revisit the same pieces over the grammar school years that will be more of a music history course.

Tanya
    Tanya, thanks so much for clarifying this! I hadn't grasped the theory nature of it ... that would be terrific for my boys, they are getting exposure and instrument lessons with note reading/chord "theory" but understanding harmony, melody, and so on is something I haven't been able to teach them.

ETA: echoing Sarah now ... another thing to add for our next year plans. Exciting! (and daunting, but I'll focus on exciting) Thank you to all the folks at Memoria Press for the "continuous improvement" model you seem to have with your curriculum. I am grateful that you give us a living education for our children.
    Last edited by serendipitous journey; 01-12-2018 at 02:43 PM.
    Ana, mama to
    ds A, 7A
    ds N, 3A

Tanya
    Wow- I had no idea. Now I am more interested than ever, since I have not found a good intro theory course for my ds. Tanya when you say it is intro theory course, how far through theory does this take them? If it goes through writing intervals and memorizing key signatures, basic root position chords, I am all in!
    DD 12, using 6M core with 7th Grade COTR
    DS 10, using 5M core

Hello.

I'll have to look Monday to see how far this course takes us.

I did talk to Patrick about student ages, and we are both going to ask our 3rd grade teachers what they think (Patrick is at HLS Indy with Cindy David). But we feel like this course would be a good introduction for younger students at a slow pace (one lesson per week). Older students and adults would move more quickly through it. My feeling when I looked at it before sending to the printer was that each lesson is one simple concept, so not too difficult.

I'm wishing we had put grades 3+ on it now. I'm going to change it once I get validation from HLS 3rd grade.

Tanya

Sorry for the delayed response. I was trying to get more information about this course. I am not musical, so it's hard for me to talk about it. It looks to me like lots of musical concepts are introduced, but not necessarily for mastery. Here are some of the musical concepts: form, program, melody, theme, rhythm, tutti, sonata form (exposition, development, recapitulation), scales, intervals, symphony, octaves, chamber music, ensembles, flats and sharps, waltz, leitmotifs, tempos (lento, andante, moderato, allegro), arpeggio, grace notes, motif, tonal, meter (duple, triple, quadruple), jazz. These concepts are defined and examples are given on the cd. Then, the concepts are illustrated through individual pieces of classical music. The individual pieces of music are introduced with a little history of each piece and information about the piece that ties it to the concept.

Does this help at all? I feel like if I knew something about music, I would do a better job with this. I did work my way through the course when I was doing the last look before sending to the printer, and it was great fun. Obviously, I didn't retain a lot though.

Tanya

Sorry for the delayed response. I was trying to get more information about this course. I am not musical, so it's hard for me to talk about it. It looks to me like lots of musical concepts are introduced, but not necessarily for mastery. Here are some of the musical concepts: form, program, melody, theme, rhythm, tutti, sonata form (exposition, development, recapitulation), scales, intervals, symphony, octaves, chamber music, ensembles, flats and sharps, waltz, leitmotifs, tempos (lento, andante, moderato, allegro), arpeggio, grace notes, motif, tonal, meter (duple, triple, quadruple), jazz. These concepts are defined and examples are given on the cd. Then, the concepts are illustrated through individual pieces of classical music. The individual pieces of music are introduced with a little history of each piece and information about the piece that ties it to the concept.

Does this help at all? I feel like if I knew something about music, I would do a better job with this. I did work my way through the course when I was doing the last look before sending to the printer, and it was great fun. Obviously, I didn't retain a lot though.

Tanya
    Sounds like an awesome overview of how to listen, and musical concepts- not maybe a theory course per se? But definitely a terrific overview/appreciation course. I looked at the sample, and I am seriously considering adding it to my cores for next year depending. We need something that will get us really listening to music instead of just having it on in the background. Thanks for the description, Tanya!
    DD 12, using 6M core with 7th Grade COTR
    DS 10, using 5M core

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Good morning,

And the list is ready (minus a few YouTube links that are coming soon)! Here is the link: https://www.memoriapress.com/music-app-i/
    Thank you so much! We just received the Music Appreciation kit in the mail and are very excited to start! This link is very helpful.
    DD 11 - MP6A

Has anyone scheduled this for their week yet? I can't decide if it is a one or two day class.

Thanks!
    Homeschooling since 2001. Still learning latin

12yo son- MP 7th grade

homeschool graduates-

19yo daughter- education major

22yo son- Software Engineering major

24yo son- Criminal Justice major

27 yo son- organic farmer in Portland, OR