Thread: Can You Help Me With 11th and 12th Grade?

Default Can You Help Me With 11th and 12th Grade?

Background: My son has always been homeschooled since pre school with a literature rich style of curriculum. We have used Five in a Row, Sonlight, Memoria Press and Classical Academic Press as our curriculum.

He has not had Latin, I tried using Latin Alive and it brought me to tears, just couldn't add it to our load and the curriculum was hard to use.

He has completed American and World History with Sonlight. We have done Logic through Classical Academic Press, we are also using the progymn method with Writing and Rhetoric and plan to continue with that in high school. He has read lots of literature and some MP lit guides and Christian studies, he has done plenty of art, physical education, computer and is now doing guitar for music. So my goal for his last two years is to go full classical education. I have always enjoyed using MP curriculum, but have never just dived full on in. So what are some ideas these last few years? He doesn't need anymore computer. The only thing he needs is Govt/Economics and his modern language which he chose as Japanese. I have a plan for science and math, so basically he is new to classical studies, Rhetoric, Latin or Greek, so that is where I need a plan.

Plans so far for 11th and 12th grades:

Math - pre calculus, calculus
    Science - chemistry, physics
    Modern Foreign Language: Japanese
    Composition- Writing and Rhetoric (progymnasmsta)
    Social Studies - Govt/Econ

How can I reasonably add in with MP Classical materials?
    Last edited by Nancy Ann; 01-09-2018 at 01:09 AM.

Default Re: Can You Help Me With 11th and 12th Grade?

I tried to send you a PM, but you don't have that turned on.
    Bean

DD- 9M with subs

Nancy Ann,

I assume what you mean about wanting to focus on "Classical Education" is that you want your son to focus on some of the great works of Western Civ...would that be correct? Such as the Iliad/Odyssey, Dante, City of God...etc.

It would help to know what he has actually read in literature...because there can be some overlap there. MP includes those in their "classical studies" vein of schooling, but a lot of other programs consider them "literature." How much of that has he already studied?

Since he has two years, you could look at doing a year each on Greek and Roman history specifically - using the one year LP for each. First year he could read Mills' Story of the Greeks book followed by the Iliad and the Odyssey; second year use the Story of the Romans book and the Aeneid. This would help your son acquire more familiarity with the culture of each civilization as well as their principal work.

Another way you could go would be to focus on the great works - spending a semester on the Iliad and the Odyssey, and another semester on the Aeneid. These three works are so foundational that they would be the first things I would want to make sure he had. Then the second year you could have him read Mills' Story of the Middle Ages along with doing Dante's Divine Comedy. The Middle Ages book does not have a guide to go along with it, but the Dante guide is a year-long study anyway, so the Middle Ages book would simply be a great read-along to go with for a bit more historical background.

These are what I would start with, but if you son has already done some of them, we can keep helping with more ideas...
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    2018-2019
    DD 17 - 12th (mixture)
    DS 14 - 10th (mixture)
    DD 12 - 8th
    DD 10 - 6th
    DD 8 - 4th
    DD 6 - 1st
    DD 4 - mix of 1st & jrK
    +DS, 2-21-16+
    DS 5 months

Quote Originally Posted by KF2000 View Post
    Nancy Ann,

Another way you could go would be to focus on the great works - spending a semester on the Iliad and the Odyssey, and another semester on the Aeneid. These three works are so foundational that they would be the first things I would want to make sure he had. Then the second year you could have him read Mills' Story of the Middle Ages along with doing Dante's Divine Comedy. The Middle Ages book does not have a guide to go along with it, but the Dante guide is a year-long study anyway, so the Middle Ages book would simply be a great read-along to go with for a bit more historical background.

These are what I would start with, but if you son has already done some of them, we can keep helping with more ideas...
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    The Mills Book of the Middle Ages does have guides. I learned this when my daughter was unable to complete her assignment the first week of MPOA class where the guides are required. You can see them here.
    2018-2019:
    DD 13 | 9th Grade | MPOA student
    DS 11 | 6M | Singapore, AAS, MPOA Comp
    DD 10 | 5A | Singapore, AAS, MPOA Comp, Delectare

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Ann View Post

Modern Foreign Language: Japanese

FYI, for English speakers, Japanese is rated as a Category V language by the Foreign Service Institute, the group which trains US ambassadors and military members: Languages which are exceptionally difficult for native English speakers.

For comparison, Spanish and French are listed as Category I. You can see that here: http://www.effectivelanguagelearning...age-difficulty

I was disappointed to see that Latin wasn't on the list, but then again, the Institute is training modern language speakers. I assume it would be a Category I or at most Category II.

Having lived in Japan for 9 years, I want to encourage you to make sure you have a native speaker hired as your child's tutor. The language is very difficult to learn. If you are thinking of something like Rosetta Stone, I'd like to save your child the frustration by suggesting that he choose a different language. We have Rosetta Stone Japanese and it was only helpful for the preschool/K level of vocabulary in Japan, utterly ignoring Japanese grammar. Not trying to be discouraging at all, only helpful from someone who's BTDT.

Jen
    DS, 25 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), following in the family tradition of working for the US Navy

DS, 23 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, working on Adulting

DD, 20 yrs, Junior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 10 yrs, taking the summer off, then 6M plus Bookshark's Later American history pack

All homeschooled.

Quote Originally Posted by jenniferjb View Post
    The Mills Book of the Middle Ages does have guides. I learned this when my daughter was unable to complete her assignment the first week of MPOA class where the guides are required. You can see them here.
    Whoa! Thanks for keeping me updated! That's great! When my daughter did it, it was just included in a literature package - so no guide yet. I stand corrected - super!

That would help make the year even more "substantial" for a high schooler.

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2018-2019
    DD 17 - 12th (mixture)
    DS 14 - 10th (mixture)
    DD 12 - 8th
    DD 10 - 6th
    DD 8 - 4th
    DD 6 - 1st
    DD 4 - mix of 1st & jrK
    +DS, 2-21-16+
    DS 5 months

Quote Originally Posted by KF2000 View Post
    When my daughter did it, it was just included in a literature package
    Sarah,

In our curriculum and literature packages, we use the text by itself as a resource for historical and cultural background. The guides are for those who want to treat Mills' Middle Ages as its own course, similar to how we use Book of the Romans, Greeks, and Ancient World in our packages. Does that make sense?
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Yep! Did not think that had changed, but I had not realized the guides had been made, too. It actually might change some plans I have for next year. So, good timing!

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2018-2019
    DD 17 - 12th (mixture)
    DS 14 - 10th (mixture)
    DD 12 - 8th
    DD 10 - 6th
    DD 8 - 4th
    DD 6 - 1st
    DD 4 - mix of 1st & jrK
    +DS, 2-21-16+
    DS 5 months

As for the Japanese, he has already started Rosetta Stone Japanese and will soon complete Level 1 and wants to continue. He really loves it, I know that Rosetta Stone has it's issues with some folks, we do have the homeschool edition which has a bit more grammar and other stuff added to it. But, it will work for our credits and he is really enjoying it. I have been homeschooling for 16 years now and sometimes you just have to do the best you can with what you've got. Spending money on a professional tutor or for some of these online academy classes is just not possible for us. SIGH I miss the old days when one could homeschool and not be expected to have all this expensive stuff like tutors and online classes! I love the days when we would encourage each other with a library card! The DVD's have been a good compromise for our family, not so expensive and works well. But still....the good ole days!!

I won't be changing my son this year for his 10th grade, he has himself in a good groove and doing well with his Sonlight materials. He is doing Logic and his writing program is based off the progym method, and he is reading lots and lots and lots of books. Infact he has 3 C.S Lewis books scheduled for this year and some Dickens and other great classics. So for his 11th and 12th grade year I think I have decided to do the Homer for classical studies along with the Miller book on Ancient Greeks, he will do Rhetoric and I think have him do First Form Latin. He will atleasts get two years of Latin. He will continue his Japanese on Rosetta Stone since he loves it so much. I won't do MP literature with him but instead just give him books to read from a book list that my husband and I came up with of great stuff we want our kids to read. Than for 12th grade he will do the classical studies Aeneid with the Miller books, along with the MP literature and Second Form Latin. He will continue with his Apologia for science and with his Teaching Textbooks for math which is absolutely terrific!!

However for my daughter who is in 3rd grade, I am totally changing and I purchased a bunch of Memoria Press 3rd grade stuff for her. We will keep our math which is Right Start Math, keep her science which is Apologia and also keep Spelling which is Spelling You See. But everything else will be Memoria Press stuff 3rd grade. I am doing the Prima Latina for Latin though just because I am pretty skeptical I can do the Latin stuff. So, we will start her on that and probably take us into next year and than see where we are. Very excited about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Ann View Post
    As for the Japanese, he has already started Rosetta Stone Japanese and will soon complete Level 1 and wants to continue. He really loves it, I know that Rosetta Stone has it's issues with some folks, we do have the homeschool edition which has a bit more grammar and other stuff added to it. But, it will work for our credits and he is really enjoying it. I have been homeschooling for 16 years now and sometimes you just have to do the best you can with what you've got. Spending money on a professional tutor or for some of these online academy classes is just not possible for us. SIGH I miss the old days when one could homeschool and not be expected to have all this expensive stuff like tutors and online classes! I love the days when we would encourage each other with a library card! The DVD's have been a good compromise for our family, not so expensive and works well. But still....the good ole days!!

Nancy Ann, I totally get it. If it's only for high school credit, RS works, it's fun, and it's reasonable. I am in my 15th year of homeschooling, so I truly understand your sentiments above! Also, I Sonlighted for about 10 years. I'm a double plus gold member, ha,ha. Actually, these days I jumped over to Bookshark. I simply use the Bookshark package instead of MP's read alouds and readers in the elementary grades.

So very nice to meet you!

Jen
    DS, 25 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), following in the family tradition of working for the US Navy

DS, 23 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, working on Adulting

DD, 20 yrs, Junior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 10 yrs, taking the summer off, then 6M plus Bookshark's Later American history pack

All homeschooled.