Thread: SC3, week 4 enrichment

Default SC3, week 4 enrichment

Hi, we are still having some trouble with the writing matching up to the reading. Lesson A, main idea or detail. We have only read 1 chapter and no mention of the thanksgiving. My daughter has very inflexible thinking, so the fact that the "main idea" is about the feast she is having difficulty. Also, it says " The Speedwell was the larger ship" and 'The Mayflower was the smaller ship". She came to me right away and said, "Mom, they made a mistake, the Mayflower was the bigger ship".

I am just wondering if it might be better to do the enrichment writing a week behind the reading? In this case the whole book would have been needed to be read to get the whole main idea. I know it seems obvious that the book is about the Pilgrims and Native Americans gathering, but this is not the case with my kiddo. Suggestions?
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C
    DD (2/13) - soaking it all up!

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1
    DD (2/13) -still soaking it up, using Jr. K workbooks and R&S workbooks

Default Re: SC3, week 4 enrichment

Thanks, Christine.

Did you see this? https://forum.memoriapress.com/showt...iting-Book-Two

Would that help? If not, I remember that you mentioned previously the desire to defer Writing an entire week. If this would work better for her, please feel free to do this.

Regarding the ships, SC Writing is still able to be edited, so we will make this change asap. Your daughter is proving herself to be a good editor.

Quote Originally Posted by cherylswope View Post
    Thanks, Christine.

Did you see this? https://forum.memoriapress.com/showt...iting-Book-Two

Would that help? If not, I remember that you mentioned previously the desire to defer Writing an entire week. If this would work better for her, please feel free to do this.

Regarding the ships, SC Writing is still able to be edited, so we will make this change asap. Your daughter is proving herself to be a good editor.
    Yes, we did discuss this. However, in this instance even that schedule would not help. I am just trying to understand the intent of the assignment. It is written to read a certain amount then do the writing. It seems though that in the A assignment, more reading is really required. I feel like I am totally mis understanding something. We have followed most of the enrichment with MP, so very little history. It has really only been in the last few months that she even gets history. Thanksgiving is holiday we get together and eat food they don't like! . We haven't denied her knowledge, but she just is only getting it now. I a little confused why after 1 chapter the main idea is about the whole book, instead of only the pages already read? Again, I am frustrated with myself that this seems complicated?
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1

Yes, I understand.

You could wait on Lesson A until the end of the week, if her primary difficulty is the Main Idea/Detail section. In this way, you would not need to rotate your entire schedule. You would just "save" Lesson A as a summary, rather than an introduction.

If your children are like mine, "main idea" and "detail" will be difficult concepts to grasp. This is why we address this every week for the entire year. This is not a one-lesson concept, nor is it something they will be expected to do independently. Main Idea/Detail will need to be coached for quite a while.

Teaching Tips to help with the concept:

Present a sentence.

My dog is furry, cute, and wags his tail.

Place a big star by the main or most important thing in the sentence. (My dog or dog)
    Place checkmarks by the details that describe the main or most important thing (furry, cute, wags his tail).

His shirt is red and has buttons.

Main or most important thing (shirt)
    Details (red, buttons)

You can play games in the car after an event. Use main idea/detail language. "Today we went to the zoo. This was the MAIN thing we just did. What are some details from our visit to the zoo?" One point for each detail you can name as a team. (giraffes, zebras, flamingos, popcorn, gift shop.) Or do this after an errand. "We just picked up apples, spinach, cauliflower, and milk. These are the details of what we did. What was the main event?" (going to the grocery store)

As for the history, if it is just too much for her age and exposure, as you thought it might be, you can defer SC Writing Read-Aloud until another time. Just use the read-alouds and oral comprehension questions as exposure now. Unlike some children, your daughter has now heard many Bible stories, so SC Writing Bible might be more suitable for her.

That answer ended more abruptly than I intended! Our local blood lab closes early, and I had to run my son there for his monthly bloodwork -- in between his arrival home (just as I was answering) and their closing. We're back home now.

So -- it seems there are several options:

1. Defer Lesson A until after reading the book for the week.
    2. Defer the entire SC Writing Read-Aloud week of lessons until after reading the book for the week. This might mean deferring until the following week as review.
    3. Set aside SC Writing Read-Aloud altogether for now. Use SC Writing Bible instead. If you choose this option, then ...
    a) save SC Writing Read-Aloud for 8-week or summer review. She can reread the books (refreshing her memory) before answering each lesson's questions. This might work well for her in several ways. Not only might it work better for her writing lessons, but it might also serve as a good review of her introductory American history studies. After all, you already own the book. You might as well put it to good use!
    b) teach American history now through the chronological read-alouds and the comprehension questions. Comprehension is often her strength, so this will turn those studies from a frustration to something more enjoyable for both of you. (They should be enjoyable!)

Finally, please do not be frustrated with yourself! It is quite possible that you are merely uncovering something we need to address in the Teacher Notes for others.

I have never been a fabulous writer (hey, maybe in 10 years I will be!) I find it hard to express my questions sometimes. My mom (an English teacher) always said "you are too wordy!" It seems to me what I am hearing though is that the "A" page is always going to have some details from the reading assigned for the day, and then the "main idea" is going to be what the whole book is about, not necessarily what was covered in the first bit of reading. I think I can work with that. We probably should spend a little more time discussing the book as a whole (like we learned last year about examining the book ahead of time). I think I just "assumed" that the writing would always relate to exactly what was read. I know this will be a good preparation for when, as Tanya discussed at Sodalitas, you can't exactly find the answer on a specific page.

I suppose I am just a little thrown off because in the Bible Edition there are no problems. The readings are short and the writing easily coincides. In the history edition, there is just so much reading, and it seems that the reading may not exactly coincide with the writing. After a few weeks, I had thought I really like the idea of reading something and then writing. As we work through the upper years with MP materials, that is how it goes and I thought it would be a good step towards that. However, her frame of reference is not quite there for this material, so it just might not work that way. I really feel like I am talking to a brick wall sometimes when we explain something out of her frame of reference. Well, actually, I almost cringe sometimes with new content because she isn't a brick wall and she almost "fights" what I am trying to explain. She gets so frustrated and upset herself because she doesn't understand what I am saying. I have had a few moments where I just thought about dropping the history all together. However, I had a sigh of relief at dinner when she was discussing with my husband what we were reading. She happily announced that there was a mistake in the writing. This led to discussing ship sizes. She said, "this is the opposite of Columbus". In "Columbus' the biggest ship didn't make it, but in this story, the biggest ship does. I'm not sure if that is exactly what I hoped for her to get out of the story. However, she is getting something and is able to compare it to the other readings, all on her own accord!
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1

Quote Originally Posted by howiecram View Post
    I have had a few moments where I just thought about dropping the history all together. However, I had a sigh of relief at dinner when she was discussing with my husband what we were reading. She happily announced that there was a mistake in the writing. This led to discussing ship sizes. She said, "this is the opposite of Columbus". In "Columbus' the biggest ship didn't make it, but in this story, the biggest ship does. I'm not sure if that is exactly what I hoped for her to get out of the story. However, she is getting something and is able to compare it to the other readings, all on her own accord!
    Oh, yes. Do not give up history altogether. Modify the writing, if needed, but keep going with the reading. You are right. It is quite a bit of reading, but this will stretch her attention span. And she is already making unprompted comparisons/contrasts! She is, undeniably, thinking.

Do continue to teach "main" or "big idea" contrasted with "detail" or "supporting point," but in very small conversational doses. (No need for the brick wall to fight back!) We keep teaching this through both SC Writing books on purpose. By the end, as if a secret is being revealed, the main idea becomes the topic sentence for her well-constructed paragraph, and those details become supporting sentences. Your mom would be proud!

I am glad to hear SC Writing Bible is going well. We are looking forward to seeing more writing from your daughter!